What caused Shock Troopers 2 to be so bad compared to ST1?

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
What I never understood was why Shock Troopers never got a home release, as either a CD exclusive (like Saurus' Ironclad) or on AES.

It's very strange why we have the second part and not the first one in AES. Really strange.
The first ST is one of the best Run&Gun in history.
We saw Ragnagard in AES in 1996 but not a home version of Shock Troopers in 1997.
I can not understand it.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
For me the reason the game is no where near as good as the first is the sound effects (the enemy death sound is horrible) and the other reason is that the prerendered graphics as no where near as good looking as the first games graphics.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I agree with you. These sorts of games might seem "ugly" but I find them to have a special charm now. I like seeing how the developers were trying find ways to push these systems. Whether or not it was technically pushing the systems, they were trying to create a modern look to the games. I find these graphical techniques interesting. I just recently got 2nd Squad and like it quite a bit! It has a really nice flow to the combat. I'm still look for a decent deal on the first game.

Thirded.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I got beyond the name and revisited it a couple of times. It has a certain charm and unique features that it's predecessor does not.
BB

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
It's not just the prerendered graphics or bad sound effects, but it seems like they were cashing in on the success of the first one while putting together a very low quality follow-up. The graphics are supposed to wow you but it was too ambitious for the time and even for the type of game.