What caused Shock Troopers 2 to be so bad compared to ST1?

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I played a little of both Shock Troopers 1 and Shock Troopers 2 today, and the difference in quality is pretty incredible. ST1 is imo a must-have Neo Geo game, whereas 2nd Squad is significantly worse in every way. It has less characters, less levels, less guns, less enemy variety, worse art style, worse music, and more slowdown (maybe even worse than Slug 2).

Wtf happened to cause this? Are there any articles about the development of this game? I looked on wiki and the team leaders are the same, so it's not like there was a management exodus that caused it.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
It also took a hell of a hit in graphics department. Especially compared to ST1 which looks phenomenal to this day.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The characters, bombs, grenades, and weapons weren't as interesting. The level design, enemies, and bosses were also inferior imo.

I would also say that the pre-rendered graphics haven't aged as well as the lovely hand drawn sprites of the first one.

Last edited:

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
I always wondered why the sprite detail was much lower on ST2, yet it felt like it suffered far more slow down and flicker.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I blame, at least in part, an over fondness for pre-rendered graphics during that time period. These can be used well though, like in Pulstar, or poorly, like in this example.

And personally, I'm not super fond of chibi-like chars in games.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad isn't a bad game.

It suffers the same as Fixeight when compared to Outzone.
The later isn't bad, but way inferior to the first game.

It would have worked better the other way around. And possibly, we could have had an AES version of it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
What caused Shock Troopers 2 to be so bad compared to ST1? Its far lesser Mercs conformities in nature, of course.

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf

It would have worked better the other way around. And possibly, we could have had an AES version of it.

Agreed 100% bro! I enjoy ST2 from time to time also. The slowdown isn't insanely horrible but I also understand why some people don't care for it much compared to ST1.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

Mostly agreed. I love ST2. I play it more often than ST1. I really like the grit, the weird graphics, the difficulty, etc. The only bad thing about it is that it's named Shock Troopers. If it wasn't related, it wouldn't get nearly as much flack.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Because the first game is a masterpiece, the second game (while still good) just doesn't live up to it. While pre-rendered graphics can be down well (Prehistoric Isle 2, Pulstar), with ST2 they just look...wrong.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yeah the graphics are really a victim of the time, can't necessarily blame them for jumping on that pre-rendered bandwagon. Although as pegboy pointed out, that style did work well in other games (and on other consoles as well, obviously) but it just seems wrong in ST2. This may sound like a minor complaint but I always thought the explosions looked really out of place as well. It's certainly not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, though.

Also LOLs to the AEStards who only get to play ST2 and not the original.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
They tried too hard with the pre-rendered graphics.
That's the biggest part.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It should not have been called Shock Troopers 2. The first game was really badass.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i actually liked shock troopers 2 the most at first being impressed with the graphics and presentation. but over the years the graphics looked outdated and the first game was looking a lot better. now i think the first shock troopers is one of the better games for the system. even better than a lot of the metal slug games.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I don't like button placement in ST2................ST1 is much better

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I quite like Shock Troopers 2.

While it's not as enjoyable as Shock Troopers, and doesn't have some of that games charm, it's well animated, the music is good and the gameplay is still pretty solid.

It's just a shame that Saurus had such a boner for pre-rendered graphics back then.

What I never understood was why Shock Troopers never got a home release, as either a CD exclusive (like Saurus' Ironclad) or on AES.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's just a shame that Saurus had such a boner for pre-rendered graphics back then.

I also needed time to appreciate Pulstar's & Blazing Star's pre-rendered art design, but now this ancient CGI aspect makes those games so special. They're historical artifacts of an era long gone, the pioneer age of the 3D craze and the hopeless try to apply it into the second dimension. There's much charm to be found within this desperation.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I enjoy it every now and then but the slowdown irks me after a while. It's not even remotely charming like in MS2. Unfortunately it is unremarkable I guess simply because of the charm and sprite work of the original, that one I can play over and over

Tenshinhan

n00b
I also needed time to appreciate Pulstar's & Blazing Star's pre-rendered art design, but now this ancient CGI aspect makes those games so special. They're historical artifacts of an era long gone, the pioneer age of the 3D craze and the hopeless try to apply it into the second dimension. There's much charm to be found within this desperation.

I agree with you. These sorts of games might seem "ugly" but I find them to have a special charm now. I like seeing how the developers were trying find ways to push these systems. Whether or not it was technically pushing the systems, they were trying to create a modern look to the games. I find these graphical techniques interesting. I just recently got 2nd Squad and like it quite a bit! It has a really nice flow to the combat. I'm still look for a decent deal on the first game.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
Mostly agreed. I love ST2. I play it more often than ST1. I really like the grit, the weird graphics, the difficulty, etc. The only bad thing about it is that it's named Shock Troopers. If it wasn't related, it wouldn't get nearly as much flack.

This. Love the game, but it has not much to do with the ST name developed by the first one.