Getting RGsB 480P on PS2 issues

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
ok so im trying to get 480p through my 20L5 with RGsB. Component is fine with me but having to switch between component and RGB on the monitor, on the PS2 and physically switching cables is tedious and id like to avoid it if i can

Already tried a few games and none of them are giving me anything. Monitor just says no sync and stays blank for a few moments till i press something or it justs asks me if i want to try again.

I have looked into it a bit and it seems like i dont need special sync on green cables or anything and that the sync on luma cables i already use should work.

am i missing something?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
IIRC RGsB on PS2 is sync on green and monitor needs to support it. If it does, most have a setting to switch to 'sync on green'.

Beharius

Overtop Pathfinder
10 Year Member
You can try our Garo (beharbros.com), it's a component to VGA transcoder.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I don't know if the 20L5 supports sync on green. The PS2 does look beautiful in 480p rgb but it's a pain in the ass.

What I do now is use a component to vga transcoder, but if the 20L5 supports component video just use that. The difference between that and RGB are tiny, and you won't have to fuck around changing inputs on the display.

That said it may be as easy as turning off ext sync once the game switches to progressive mode, or you might need something to change the signal. I've used an extron to convert RGsB to RGB with ext sync, but again, it's a PITA for negligible gains.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
ok so im trying to get 480p through my 20L5 with RGsB. Component is fine with me but having to switch between component and RGB on the monitor, on the PS2 and physically switching cables is tedious and id like to avoid it if i can

Already tried a few games and none of them are giving me anything. Monitor just says no sync and stays blank for a few moments till i press something or it justs asks me if i want to try again.

I have looked into it a bit and it seems like i dont need special sync on green cables or anything and that the sync on luma cables i already use should work.

am i missing something?

Did you go into the ps2 options menu and switch from component to rgb?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
One other thing to add to clarify my last post.

The PS2, when in RGB mode, will still output composite video but ONLY when the system is in 240p/480i. As soon as you switch it to progressive scan / 480p, the sync signal moves to the Green output, and you lose all other output (composite vid, and probably svideo too). This is why your monitor is going to say no sync as soon as you set progressive scan on the PS2 game if the monitor is set to EXT SYNC, since nothing is going to that pin (luma or cvid) anymore.

Again... it may be as simple as turning off ext sync once you tell the game to enable progressive scan.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
You can try our Garo (beharbros.com), it's a component to VGA transcoder.

probably too expensive for what im trying to accomplish but i'll keep an eye on it thanks.

One other thing to add to clarify my last post.

The PS2, when in RGB mode, will still output composite video but ONLY when the system is in 240p/480i. As soon as you switch it to progressive scan / 480p, the sync signal moves to the Green output, and you lose all other output (composite vid, and probably svideo too). This is why your monitor is going to say no sync as soon as you set progressive scan on the PS2 game if the monitor is set to EXT SYNC, since nothing is going to that pin (luma or cvid) anymore.

Again... it may be as simple as turning off ext sync once you tell the game to enable progressive scan.

Could be that but i do feel like i tried that already. I know with the 20L5 when using 480P on the Wii, the monitor makes an audible click and then the display refreshes so often times im sitting waiting for that and it never comes.

also i think i did toggle the ext sync switch off and on many times to see if i could get it to switch over but it never did. i'll try in a few again to be sure.

i mean according to the manual the 20L5 should support it. i'm no expert though so who knows....

skate323k137

10 Year Member
It will default to sync on green when ext sync is off. You need to hit that almost simultaneously with the game setting, to catch the confirmation prompt.

Again, due to this pain I recommend just using component video, since both 480i/240p and 480p are sent the same way to the monitor. When I use a PS2 with my net city I just use a component to vga transcoder, and that transcoder sends a good signal for both 15khz and 31khz.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
It will default to sync on green when ext sync is off. You need to hit that almost simultaneously with the game setting, to catch the confirmation prompt.

Again, due to this pain I recommend just using component video, since both 480i/240p and 480p are sent the same way to the monitor. When I use a PS2 with my net city I just use a component to vga transcoder, and that transcoder sends a good signal for both 15khz and 31khz.

Ok so I figured it out. The problem was with my SCART switch. it kept turning off when trying to switch over to progressive. Luckily I noticed the PS2 switch input light shuts off when trying to switch from 480I to 480P so had to switch it back on real quick and then make sure sync wasn't on so it all would switch over completely.

You definitely weren't lying about having to be quick and all this being sort of a pain in the ass. Thanks for the help dude it would have taken me forever to figure this out without you.

EDIT: ok so on further further inspection, the picture is blurry. initially i thought it was my imagination but nope. i tried CAPCOM FIGHTING JAM and CAPCOM CLASSICS COLLECTION 2 and both games appear blurry in 480p via RGsB.

too make sure nothing weird was going on with my display, i plugged up my Wii through component, only this time i used my bandridge SVB7735 SCART switch simply plugged up the component cables through a SCART adapter. Same blur.

Switched Wii back to component directly to the monitor. Clean picture.

Hooked PS2 SCART cable directly to the monitor. Clean picture.

Is this a known issue with the SVB7735?

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The PS2 is a wackjob when it comes to resolutions. It doesn't have just one or 2 sets, it has several, and many games use them all differently. Some games on the PS2 are not meant to be played on 480p and viceversa. 240p on PS2 is scarce but it's there. Megaman X collection is a clear example.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Glad to help. It's a shame so few PS2 games support progressive scan. It looks beautiful on a lot of games that do. Namely melty blood actress again, ssx3, and guilty gear xx accent core.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i only tried what was readily available on the hard drive. mostly went for 2d games since those are the easiest for me to judge.

also yes i really wish there was a no pain solution to choosing resolution. like easily choosing between 240p or 480p. I was looking to see if there were any patches that could be applied to force 480p on some games and everything i have found sounds iffy. 480i is by no means bad im not going to go much further out of my way to get this going. Figure i'll just enjoy what few games that are supported like Radiata Stores, Megaman X8, Command Mission and Valkyrie Profile.

All those 2D games from CAP SNK ASW etc....are nice to have too...although for those i wish 240P mode was an option

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The beauty of the SNK ports is the progressive scan on HD CRT, it looks so legit, specially when all the filters are removed, no character filters, I think it's graphic number 6 and normal focus. KOFXI and NGBC PS2 ports look way better than the Atomiswave carts, no lie.

PS2 has a great library, almost right up there with the Saturn in terms of arcade game ports.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
yeah no joke. i remember back when my friends and i were still playing tons of PS2 fighters. Screwing around with settings can make those games look fantastic on my old samsung consumer set with component. i never even really bother trying them on a PVM because by the time i got one we'd moved on but man you're making me want to go back lol

man i miss KOF XI :(

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dude, I tossed a working Samsung HD 480p CRT, big regret, PS2 and OXBOX looked great on it with some games. I just got rid off it 'cause nobody wanted it, I already have enough CRTs, I had to let go...sob:(

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Look into GSModeSelector homebrew and the ripped Xploder upscaler ELF, I've used both to get 480p out of 480i-only games with good results. I haven't used Xploder much but I know GSModeSelector does something like directly outputs the "internal" 480p image that would then get interlaced, rather than something wacky like deinterlacing in software, just to be clear. Xploder should work similarly but I've only used it a handful of times with a few games that don't play nice with GSModeSelector (only ran into this on beatmania IIDX games).

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Look into GSModeSelector homebrew and the ripped Xploder upscaler ELF, I've used both to get 480p out of 480i-only games with good results. I haven't used Xploder much but I know GSModeSelector does something like directly outputs the "internal" 480p image that would then get interlaced, rather than something wacky like deinterlacing in software, just to be clear. Xploder should work similarly but I've only used it a handful of times with a few games that don't play nice with GSModeSelector (only ran into this on beatmania IIDX games).

sweet! thanks man.

i am aware of GSM but i looked everywhere and couldnt find a download link. i also read up on it and impressions seemed iffy. definitely willing to try it out if you can help me find it.

edit: nevermind i found it on isozone. i dont know why i had such a hard time finding it. so yeah i tested it out and first up Gradius V since thats one of my favorite games on the console. Looks really good man thanks for the tip. i notice there are some screen positioning adjustments options. might need to tinker with it because right away i can see that the very bottom of the screen of Gradius V is cutoff a little. hopefully these things can be adjusted without too much issue.

Last edited: