Coolest Neo Geo secrets

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Don't punch the hobo in Burning Fight and he will reward you.

My Sharona = Mai Sharanui

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Found this video around SS2. Even though I don't understand Spanish I can figure out most of it

This was even informative to me, and I thought I knew everything. I actually didn't. I never noticed that Mizuki transformations are all distinct, and that Galford turns into poppy, and ChamCham turns into PakuPaku.

The point about Kuroko's stage background containing a page from Evil Dead 2's Necronomicron was also news to me.

I didn't know that on killing Kuroko, he could spill out a bunch of anatomical hearts.

And finally, I didn't know that the tree on Caffein's stage has a skull shadow on it.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
I still regard the MVS calendar's birthday messages & power-up perks for the cast in Art of Fighting 3 as being a particularly cool & novel secret for its time.

I didn't know that on killing Kuroko, he could spill out a bunch of anatomical hearts.

And finally, I didn't know that the tree on Caffein's stage has a skull shadow on it.

Oddly enough, I have zero recollection of seeing that happen to Kuroko even once during my considerable time spent in 1990s arcades, or more recently viewing emulation footage highlights, Fightcade tournament clips, etc. Pretty darn weird how that slipped through the cracks.

Around the first half of 1995, I recall a hogwash SSII rumor that seemed to gain some traction in my area. Supposedly, the skull visage tree from Nicotine's stage functioned as a unique stage fatality in a very similar manner to the Living Forest's carnivorous trees in Mortal Kombat 2.

The speculation might have surfaced on Usenet FGC-themed newsgroups or IRC channels I sometimes kept tabs on for reliable arcade tips & miscellany, but I initially took it with a grain of salt. Also, the majority of the regular Sam Sho players at University Pinball in West Philly dismissed it as outright BS. That didn't stop my older cousin from attempting the sadly nonexistent stage finisher dozens of times on the SSII cabinet at his college campus billiards hall.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I never heard about a special SS2 fatality,

But i am still certain that bust Hanzo in Asura Zanmaden has a lot of undocumented moves.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Found this video around SS2. Even though I don't understand Spanish I can figure out most of it

This just makes me love SS2 even more, which I didn't think was possible. Great video, and great sense of humor on the part of SNK at the time.

Gemant

Member,
Playing as Kuroko against CPU in SS2.

This is not possible, except for an unknown version of neo geo US bios (not emulated). I never found a neo geo system where that code work.

About SS2 there are also 2 importants easter egg:

-Kuroko explode during the fight with a chance of 1/128;

-for a french player from neogeofans forum, Cheng Shin Zan appear in the backgorund with the pose of his "roll attack" (as Kim Kaphwan). If this is true, I suppose the chance of appearance is 1/256. However I never see this easter egg in my life. Maybe is possible check the graphics of Cheng in the debug mode?

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
This is not possible, except for an unknown version of neo geo US bios (not emulated). I never found a neo geo system where that code work.

About SS2 there are also 2 importants easter egg:

-Kuroko explode during the fight with a chance of 1/128;

-for a french player from neogeofans forum, Cheng Shin Zan appear in the backgorund with the pose of his "roll attack" (as Kim Kaphwan). If this is true, I suppose the chance of appearance is 1/256. However I never see this easter egg in my life. Maybe is possible check the graphics of Cheng in the debug mode?

I've seen that happening. SS2 is the game I've played the most on the Neo Geo in general followed by Art of Fighting 2 and the first SS.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
I've never seen Kuroko explode during fight, how does it look like?
About Kuroko vs CPU, i have verified the code myself. Maybe i should check CRC, it may be an early revision because it looks like a debug code.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
I've never seen Kuroko explode during fight, how does it look like?
About Kuroko vs CPU, i have verified the code myself. Maybe i should check CRC, it may be an early revision because it looks like a debug code.

Let me explain so I'm sure we're talking about the same thing. Sometimes when you slash through him, he splits in two, one half explodes (random) and the rest of his body comes out from the other half and you continue fighting. It's something like a counter move.

I was mostly referring to Cheng Shin Zan doing the roll attack as Kim Kaphwan.

Gemant

Member,
Let me explain so I'm sure we're talking about the same thing. Sometimes when you slash through him, he splits in two, one half explodes (random) and the rest of his body comes out from the other half and you continue fighting. It's something like a counter move.

I didn't talk about the special move...

I speak about the Kuroko referee, not the Kuroko fighter. When you play vs cpu (exemple versus Haohmaru), Kuroko explode and disappear for the entire duration of the match....

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
I speak about the Kuroko referee, not the Kuroko fighter. When you play vs cpu (exemple versus Haohmaru), Kuroko explode and disappear for the entire duration of the match....

What happens if your weapon is broken, or if you meet conditions to fight him?

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
I didn't talk about the special move...

So the Kuroko referee explodes continuously during a normal vs the cpu match? Nope, I've never seen that.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
I doubt about this. In japanese magazine was written 1/128 chance only.

From ASCII mook published 13.02.95 it says from time 99 to 60 probability is 1/3, from 59 to 40 it is 1/16, from 39 to 20 it is 1/8, then from 19 to 00 it is 1/2. Theres a "2" in the text, maybe 2 appearances per game only?

Gemant

Member,
From ASCII mook published 13.02.95 it says from time 99 to 60 probability is 1/3, from 59 to 40 it is 1/16, from 39 to 20 it is 1/8, then from 19 to 00 it is 1/2. Theres a "2" in the text, maybe 2 appearances per game only?

In neo geo freak and other japanese source I read always 1/128 chance and it is more truthful. Kim is rare, often I see it 1 time only in a whole gaming session (3 - 4 hours).

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
That Sam Sho video is great. Didn't know 90% of that