SNES mini coming from Nintendo

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
SFC/SNES port is horrible...........Irem can do better than that but they didn't

I know it's horrible, but so was opt2nots rationale so I included it.

IREM didn't even do the port. It was outsource to a UK developer BITS.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
:roll eyes: Cybernator/Valken doesn't count. The SNES shooting game library isn't much better than the beltscroller library. That's not to say either are as bad as people claim.

Anyways, Biometal, Acrobat Mission, Aero Fighters are all fantastic.

EDIT: You might as well include Gunforce and Contra III if you're going to include cybernator and non STG's. Which is lame, but like that's what you did.

Also arcade UN Squadron > SNES port.
Sure why not. Might as well add SmashTV, since it was the best port of the arcade version.
Heck, lets go wild and bring in Zombies Ate my Neighbors while we're at it.

My point there's more shmups, shooties, etc have a deeper quality library than brawlers/beat-em-ups. Yall bickering over a shallow game genre that has very little replay value, which the SNES had such a weak library for. :roll eyes:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yall bickering over a shallow game genre that has very little replay value, which the SNES had such a weak library for. :roll eyes:

If you're serious about the "shallow game genre"/"little replay value" comment, you're more of a fool than I had initially thought.

EDIT: Bickering? This is a discussion of a particular title's subtleties which get largely overlooked, often by those who share a limited/ one dimensional outlook similar to yours.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
What other beat 'em up on the SNES has a super bar? Ghost Chaser Densei did. Although, I suppose you could say it had more of an Art of Fighting "spirit gauge". Those juggles!

Ah interesting, I did not know that. I also forgot about Koryuu no mimi (which is also pretty tough), but it doesn't really have a belt, it's more SNES Ninja Warriors style, not sure if I consider them beat em ups, probably. Thanks for pointing that out though, gonna have to check out Ghost Chaser now.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Mash, mash, mash...oh hey there's food bloopbloopbloop *full health* yay! Fucking basic shit.

Avoid getting hit by moving up a pixel from the same plane of your enemies. "So deep".

Let alone a majority of beat-em-ups have no dash ability which would at least liven up the fighting, but no, imma stroll along at walk speed while my GF is getting gang raped by Mongoloid Bolo Leung and his gang. Zzzzzzzz...

I have as much distain for brawlers that EG has to RPG's.

Pasky

Mash, mash, mash...oh hey there's food bloopbloopbloop *full health* yay! Fucking basic shit.

Avoid getting hit by moving up a pixel from the same plane of your enemies. "So deep".

Let alone a majority of beat-em-ups have no dash ability which would at least liven up the fighting, but no, imma stroll along at walk speed while my GF is getting gang raped by Mongoloid Bolo Leung and his gang. Zzzzzzzz...

I have a spaceship with infinite ammo. Pew pew pew!

Pretty stupid argument that can be applied to just about any game type to be honest dude.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

You're a button mashing, credit feeding simpleton. Ooo no dashing? You clearly played very few games in the genre too!

You have no right to talk about about how "meh" any library is. Exit from this conversation please. OPT2NOT talk about it. OK?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Ah interesting, I did not know that. I also forgot about Koryuu no mimi (which is also pretty tough), but it doesn't really have a belt, it's more SNES Ninja Warriors style, not sure if I consider them beat em ups, probably. Thanks for pointing that out though, gonna have to check out Ghost Chaser now.

Yeah, it's rather ambitious for an SNES game. Although the compromises are large has far as it being a port goes, it includes some crazy (broken) stuff not in AC Denjin Makai 1 that keeps it interesting ...juggles, otg attacks.

Almost every boss in the game can be killed with a corner throw loop though. Grab, knee, knee, throw, catch into a grab, knee, knee, throw, catch into a grab repeat.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
But seriously, explain to me where the depth in gameplay is. Perhaps I missed something.

Is there a multi scoring mechanic? Nope. No multipliers, not bonus score for not getting hit or successive attacking.

Multi-branching paths? Nope, most of these games are A-to-B.

Smart AI? Fuck no. Most enemies are "move-to-player, attack, get killed". Some *might* try to get behind you.
Heck off screen attacks seem to be a viable method in most of these games! I love attacking off-screen at unseen enemies. :/

Unlocking moves and combos? Advancing your move-set? Nope. Same 3-hit combos over and over ad nuaseum. Oh maybe a area effect attack that does one hit, and knocks down your enemies BUT takes your fucking health away.

Ground game? Very rarely. The Combatibes was probably the best game for attacking prone enemies. You could pick me up by the head or legs, or get on top of them and pound their heads or smash them into the floor.
Next would probably The Punisher? But still, most games it's knock a guy down, he's invincible till he gets back up. LAME.

The formula for brawlers is pretty straightforward. Attack, avoid, try to maintain health for as long as you can. That's it really. Maybe throw some hidden health items in there for something interesting to do your second time playing.

Pasky

But seriously, explain to me where the depth in gameplay is. Perhaps I missed something.

Is there a multi scoring mechanic? Nope. No multipliers, not bonus score for not getting hit or successive attacking.

Multi-branching paths? Nope, most of these games are A-to-B.

Smart AI? Fuck no. Most enemies are "move-to-player, attack, get killed". Some *might* try to get behind you.
Heck off screen attacks seem to be a viable method in most of these games! I love attacking off-screen at unseen enemies. :/

Unlocking moves and combos? Advancing your move-set? Nope. Same 3-hit combos over and over ad nuaseum. Oh maybe a area effect attack that does one hit, and knocks down your enemies BUT takes your fucking health away.

Ground game? Very rarely. The Combatibes was probably the best game for attacking prone enemies. You could pick me up by the head or legs, or get on top of them and pound their heads or smash them into the floor.
Next would probably The Punisher? But still, most games it's knock a guy down, he's invincible till he gets back up. LAME.

The formula for brawlers is pretty straightforward. Attack, avoid, try to maintain health for as long as you can. That's it really. Maybe throw some hidden health items in there for something interesting to do your second time playing.

Everything you just said is wrong, Knights of Valour 2 has leveling, move unlocking via Weapon upgrades, dashing, score multiplier via combos, full screen supers, multi path branching and routing.

Even Capcom D&D games have this. I don't mean this as an insult, but it's obvious you are ignorant of the genre. Nothing wrong with being ignorant, but perhaps you shouldn't make judgement until you it explore it more otherwise you just end up sounding silly.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Ok so you named two games.

What else?

Where is the depth in this genre? Riddle me this.

Pasky

What else?

"Brawlers don't have xxx"

"Yes they do, here's a couple"

"Only those two? Name more I'm not satisfied."

Pointless... I'm not here to name every single game with depth to satisfy you, if you want to remain ignorant go ahead.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

What else?

You're so ignorant. Same 3 hit combo?

Denjin Makai II, AVP, KOV and D&D (like pasky said), Nekketsu Oyako (console game) even AC Final Fight has combo engine/infinites, but that's not even the point here.

You have no clue about the type of strategy that's demanded from a player to properly clear an arcade beat 'em up.

Again, like I said earlier, OP2NOT be part of this discussion.

Last edited:

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
You're so ignorant. Same 3 hit combo?

Denjin Makai II, AVP, KOV and D&D (like pasky said), Nekketsu Oyako (console game) even AC Final Fight has combo engine/infinites, but that's not even the point here.

You have no clue about the type of strategy that's demanded from a player to properly clear an arcade beat 'em up.

Again, like I said earlier, OP2NOT be part of this discussion.

The discussion: beat-em-ups on the SNES suck. Those games you mentioned are all non-SNES.
Point 2: the library is better for it's shmups/shooties/run&gun, so arguing about what Final Fight is better is pointless.
Side bar: what is the depth in brawler gameplay ? So far the answers are some titles (not on the SNES) have deeper fighting gameplay mechanics, some have more strategy than move and attack, but neither of you were able to really explain what the real replay value is. Ignorance can be easily cured, stupidity cannot.

I think this has been a swell conversation, fellas. I want to like brawlers more, I really do, but I haven't been able to find that hook in all the ones I've tried. Yes, in this day of emulation where you can try any game to have existed, I have played many o brawler. I'm just not understanding the niche.

Pasky

The discussion: beat-em-ups on the SNES suck. Those games you mentioned are all non-SNES.
Point 2: the library is better for it's shmups/shooties/run&gun, so arguing about what Final Fight is better is pointless.
Side bar: what is the depth in brawler gameplay ? So far the answers are some titles (not on the SNES) have deeper fighting gameplay mechanics, some have more strategy than move and attack, but neither of you were able to really explain what the real replay value is. Ignorance can be easily cured, stupidity cannot.

I think this has been a swell conversation, fellas. I want to like brawlers more, I really do, but I haven't been able to find that hook in all the ones I've tried. Yes, in this day of emulation where you can try any game to have existed, I have played many o brawler. I'm just not understanding the niche.

SNES brawlers are nothing special, they're certainly lackluster compared to superior arcade brawlers due to technical limitations of the SNES. SNES can only use 2 different sprite sizes on the screen at once and the slow processing speed which is why most are letter boxed (to draw a smaller area) and have only 2-3 enemies on the screen at once (sprite issue/process speed). Most lack a lot of animation frames as well so look really jerky.

With that being said, the SHMUPs on SNES are also nothing really special when compared to arcade counterparts. So it's kinda moot.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Arcade games (the beat 'em up genre is an arcade genre) are meant to be played multiple times for score. Hopefully that can satisfy your arbitrary "replay value" concern.

Games outside of the SNES were brought up when you made generalizations about the genre as a whole.

You're the "stupid" one because you can't discern between a subjective dislike and objective shortcomings. You have no reference point/context or objective criteria to criticize the depth or strong suits or short comings in this genre.

Saying you don't care for it...totally fine. Making baseless comments to support it's alleged inferiority/lack of depth, is stupid.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Beat em ups are mindless bullshit quarter munchers.

They are even worse on consoles because you can't watch someone blow twenty bucks to make it to the end boss and then start playing when the end boss in his flashing red final form.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

They are even worse on consoles because you can't watch someone make it to the end boss and then start putting quarters in when he is in his flashing red final form.

Maybe you should try actually reading a thread for once, ok joe8 jr?

Last edited:

Pasky

They are even worse on consoles because you can't watch someone blow twenty bucks to make it to the end boss and then start playing when the end boss in his flashing red final form.

Sounds like someone only played Konami beat em ups.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

I'll still take one of those mindless quarter munchers over any RPG any day of the week.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Arcade games (the beat 'em up genre is an arcade genre) are meant to be played multiple times for score. Hopefully that can satisfy your arbitrary "replay value" concern.

Games outside of the SNES were brought up when you made generalizations about the genre as a whole.

You're the "stupid" one because you can't discern between a subjective dislike and objective shortcomings. You have no reference point/context or objective criteria to criticize the depth or strong suits or short comings in this genre.

Saying you don't care for it...totally fine. Making baseless comments to support it's alleged inferiority/lack of depth, is stupid.
Lots of you, you, you pointing...but no real substance to my questions. As guys who are clearly passionate about this genre, I figured it would be easy to explain what's good?

Calling me ignorant and stupid is all fine and dandy. But I legitimately want to know what's good about it. Like I said, I want to like the genre.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Lots of you, you, you pointing...but no real substance to my questions. As guys who are clearly passionate about this genre, I figured it would be easy to explain what's good?

Calling me ignorant and stupid is all fine and dandy. But I legitimately want to know what's good about it. Like I said, I want to like the genre.

You likely didn't read my post. Your questions have been answered. You again, are proving your inability to separate subjective likes/dislikes from objective strengths/short comings.

"What's good about it", that can't be objectively answered. You claim to play shooting games...

Do you play your shooters for score? Do you play to clear them on one credit? Do you relish challenge? Do you enjoy honing a technique or mechanic, then discovering which situations demand their application? Do you find trial and error, and real time problem solving fun? I don't know how much more universal/basic I can break down the appeal of playing a video game here.

All of this can be applied to playing a beat 'em up. If this stuff is fun to you, than that's what's "good about it".

Last edited:

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Do you play your shooters for score? Do you play to clear them on one credit? Do you relish challenge? Do you enjoy honing a technique or mechanic, then discovering which situations demand their application? Do you find trial and error, and real time problem solving fun? I don't know how much more universal/basic I can break down the appeal of playing a video game here.

All of this can be applied to playing a beat 'em up. If this stuff is fun to you, than that's what's "good about it".

Thanks man. I'm going to give them another go with these sensibilities in mind. I have my doubts, but I'm not obtuse enough to be stuck in my ways. I legit went from aggressor on this to being willing to give it another shot.

I never played Knights of Valour 2, but I have played D&D and thought it was better than most brawlers I've played. The Combatribes and Punisher were others I didn't outright hate, so I'll give them some study time as well.