SNES mini coming from Nintendo

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Will they make it harder to hack? Will it be able to run Star Fox?

Since the NES was essentially an emulator in a box, I expect Nintendo to do the same with the SNES. The SD2SNES can't run Star Fox because of a special chip built into the original cartridge of the game. However, emulators run this game just fine. I would expect the SNES Classic to have the ability to run any game. Ultimately, it will depend on whether they deem Star Fox worthy of their emulator box.

As for my own thoughts on games, I believe Nintendo will not put as many popular titles on their Classic this time around. There will be a few great games including SMW, but they will intentionally leave off a good amount of fun games so they can make another one a year or two later with new games.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
So uhhh... when can I preorder it?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Thanks for sharing this news montatez. I'm a little surprised to see nintendo go this route rather than force consumers toward Switch virtual console offerings. I hope that everyone that wants to own one of these things is able to do so this time without having to pay scalper prices.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Thanks for sharing this news montatez. I'm a little surprised to see nintendo go this route rather than force consumers toward Switch virtual console offerings. I hope that everyone that wants to own one of these things is able to do so this time without having to pay scalper prices.

I honestly believe its a side project from a couple dudes, just so nintendo can bank a little extra to help improve the switch.

They see dollar signs hemorrhaging from their consumers eyes and see a lucrative business opertunity.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I don't think Nintendo ever gave a shit about the NES mini getting hacked. Just look at the hardware, it's like they didn't even try :lolz:

I think the NES mini getting discontinued has much more to do with all the licensed games that were included with it than with hackers. All it takes is one publisher to fuck up a license renewal for Nintendo to be forced to stop the production.

If they have to invest more money in the project to reflash motherboards and to get new licenses for different games, they might as well go all out and put a new emulator on there, build a new shell, throw in the Wii compatible Snes controller that they developed 10 years ago and advertise that shit as an entirely new product :keke:

Mother Teresa nailed it.

So, are preorders open yet???

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Since the NES was essentially an emulator in a box, I expect Nintendo to do the same with the SNES. The SD2SNES can't run Star Fox because of a special chip built into the original cartridge of the game. However, emulators run this game just fine. I would expect the SNES Classic to have the ability to run any game. Ultimately, it will depend on whether they deem Star Fox worthy of their emulator box.

You are aware they never emulated the FX chip in the virtual console right? Only that horrible DS title and Starfox 64 ever were (are) in there.

Given the pedigree I'd have to wonder if the older systems or just emulator in general couldn't run it, or they just didn't bother or couldn't figure out how to emulate it properly. It's the same reason why people complain for Yoshi's Island (FX2 game) and it's not there.

I would not be all that shocked if a SNES mini happened and Starfox and Yoshi's Island were left out. Nintendo has emulated the DSPs, SA1, SDD1, and C4 chips though. That'll get you Mario Kart/Pilotwings, SMRPG+Kirby's Dreamland3 & Superstar, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and Megaman X2/X3.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
or they just didn't bother or couldn't figure out how to emulate it properly.

LOL no, whatever decision they made had nothing to do with this. The virtual console SNES emulator was based on SNES9X or used some code from it, this was found out due to the fact that Virtual Console games had the EXACT same bugs Snes9x did lol. They didn't write it from scratch and SuperFX is well documented everywhere on several SNES emulators.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
You are aware they never emulated the FX chip in the virtual console right? Only that horrible DS title and Starfox 64 ever were (are) in there.

Given the pedigree I'd have to wonder if the older systems or just emulator in general couldn't run it, or they just didn't bother or couldn't figure out how to emulate it properly. It's the same reason why people complain for Yoshi's Island (FX2 game) and it's not there.

I would not be all that shocked if a SNES mini happened and Starfox and Yoshi's Island were left out. Nintendo has emulated the DSPs, SA1, SDD1, and C4 chips though. That'll get you Mario Kart/Pilotwings, SMRPG+Kirby's Dreamland3 & Superstar, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and Megaman X2/X3.

I think it's just a license issue with Argonaut Games. These guys went bankrupt a long time ago. Nintendo probably couldn't get all the rights for the Super FX coprocessor. That would also explain why they had to go with the Gameboy Advance port of Yoshi's Island over the original Super FX Snes version back when they released that game on the Wii U virtual console .

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
And so if it is a license issue that means that when this thing gets hacked then we will likely be able to add Starfox and Yoshi's Island, correct?

I must know. Now!

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
On SNES (only), final fight 3 is better than final fight

Everyone knows you play the Sega CD version if you want real Final Fight. Otherwise Final Fight Guy is the one to go with. ;)

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
The best version of Final Fight?
Spoiler:
Streets of Rage 2 :D

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I think it's just a license issue with Argonaut Games.

I do believe you're most likely right about that. Damn shame though as Star Fox (and the finished/unreleased sequel) needs to be done.

...and yes Final Fight 3 is fantastic and far better in the grand scheme than the original, especially the neutered hatchet job the SNES release was removing the ladies, blood, and other little stupid censors on top of removing Rolento and that entire stage. FF3 is a very complete and well done game on the level of like Streets of Rage stuff Sega needs obsess cover too much.