The Wonderful 101

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Anyone else finds the game infuriating as fuck?

So much potential, cool ideas and such unique world, all ruined by some questionable game design.

For the record, I LOVE difficult games, I love PG, and I managed to finish the game.

When it works, it's really fun. Sadly, 80% of the time, it wasn't for me. As much as I tried figuring out what to do, I just found myself constantly being kicked in the ass, with this stupid 5 ~ 8 seconds-long recovery process (animation + picking up scattered comrades) over and over and over. The poorly explained gameplay system, and having to constantly draw things over and over during each fight didn't help things either. Not to mention the bad camera angles at some points.

The stages are too long. The game is too fucking long. Completely demotivated me to search for the not-so-rewarding secrets.

I feel frustrated because with some gameplay tweaks, it could end up being a great game. I don't know, maybe it is, but my experience of it was not as fun as I hoped for.

Last edited:

Setsuna1982

World Her,
It's one of my favourite games of this generation but I understand your feelings. When it works it's incredible, but sometimes it just doesn't. A few months of polish/testing could have done wonders to this game. Also, there's baffling decisions like the piss-poor tutorials of BASIC controls and the lack of ESSENTIAL abilities right from the start. Unite Guts and Unite Spring should be avaliable from the very beginning, at least one of them (Guts is "block" and Spring is "dodge")

The fact that I watched Saurian´s video tutorials of the game before playing eased the hard learning curve inmensenly. Something like that should have been included in the game.They are actually a must watch before playing:

Anyway, I LOVE the game, even with it shortcomings, just for the sheer spectacle and that feeling of "kid playing with his toys". As mentioned, when it "clicks" is amazing. But until it clicks is a test of patience.

PS: The director's cut trailer is just amazing and just watching it I'm feeling in the mood to play again:

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
was on my list on all the wii u games i was going to get. looked a lot like pikmin which i love. might still pick it up if it gets a switch release.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
was on my list on all the wii u games i was going to get. looked a lot like pikmin which i love. might still pick it up if it gets a switch release.

Some tips:
- Watch Saurian video-tutorials. They are VERY easy to understand and entertaining and "opens your mind" on how to play the game
- Buy Unite Guts (block/counter) and Unite Spring (evade) as soon as posible. Later down the road you will be able to buy "hero time" making Unite Spring basically Wonderful 101's Witch Time from Bayonetta.
- USE THE RIGHT STICK TO DRAW. I only use the touchscreen for drawing the glider (a triangle) but all the other glyphs can be done FASTER with the right analog. The game plays TOTALLY different using the right stick, giving it more of a feel of a fighting game. Examples:
* Unite punch: 360 right stick
* Unite Sword: Straight line
* Unite whip: Waving line
* Unite hammer: Straight line, then 360 stick
* Unite bomb: 360, then straight line
- There's a power-up that let's you morph into bigger transformations by keeping the attack button pressed.

As mentioned, the right stick changes everything. Imagine you are in mid-combo with unite punch and want to launch the enemy into the air. Draw a straight line and DO NOT CONFIRM YET with the attack button. Instead press jump and THEN attack. You will not only transform into the sword, but also instantly perform the launcher.

All buttons have this "dual" function. I think of the X button as "Team" since it performs the group attack or if you confirm a glyph with it performs the team unite attack (the morph attack on it's own while you can move). The A button is the "attack" button since it's your leader attack and can confirm/perform unite morph attacks

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
It's one of my favourite games of this generation but I understand your feelings. When it works it's incredible, but sometimes it just doesn't. A few months of polish/testing could have done wonders to this game. Also, there's baffling decisions like the piss-poor tutorials of BASIC controls and the lack of ESSENTIAL abilities right from the start. Unite Guts and Unite Spring should be avaliable from the very beginning, at least one of them (Guts is "block" and Spring is "dodge")

Thanks for sharing that tutorial, I wish I came across it earlier.

Completely agree about the Block / Dodge abilities. It just doesn't make sense. If it were up to me, I would have applied these changes:

- Cut down the length of the game down to 60% or so but put more emphases on the collectables, secrets and scoring to encourage replayablity (add hints to locate them and make them more rewarding)
- Improve pacing and add a little more variety to stage designs
- Add a tutorial and gameplay tips during loading screens
- Have the block / dodge abilities available from the get go
- Tweak the drawing system so that instead of having a time limit on powered up weapons, make them deplete your unite gauge over time. The bigger they are, the more they deplete (this is to avoid the need of having to re-draw the same shape over and over to retain its powered up form)
- Get rid of the animation on being hit as well as the need to pick up downed team members
- Tweak the camera and get rid of the "look at gamepad screen" thing

The game could also benefit from having full HD graphics. Sometimes it looks too blurry. Sadly, it may not happen anytime soon considering the Switch's specs.

Edit:

- There's a power-up that let's you morph into bigger transformations by keeping the attack button pressed.

This definitely helped a lot. I ended up getting it way too late. However, my only grip is that you loose the advantage of slow-motion during drawing, thus spending more time dodging the enemy while charging. That's why I thought the whole system needs tweaking.

Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I love this game. One of my favorite on the Wii U. It has a really steep learning curve, but when its on its on. Once you figure it out its great fun, and really like nothing else out there. I do think it was a bit long though. Something i will be playing again for sure

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Thanks for sharing that tutorial, I wish I came across it earlier.

Completely agree about the Block / Dodge abilities. It just doesn't make sense. If it were up to me, I would have applied these changes:

- Cut down the length of the game down to 60% or so but put more emphases on the collectables, secrets and scoring to encourage replayablity (add hints to locate them and make them more rewarding)
- Improve pacing and add a little more variety to stage designs
- Add a tutorial and gameplay tips during loading screens
- Have the block / dodge abilities available from the get go
- Tweak the drawing system so that instead of having a time limit on powered up weapons, make them deplete your unite gauge over time. The bigger they are, the more they deplete (this is to avoid the need of having to re-draw the same shape over and over to retain its powered up form)
- Get rid of the animation on being hit as well as the need to pick up downed team members
- Tweak the camera and get rid of the "look at gamepad screen" thing

The game could also benefit from having full HD graphics. Sometimes it looks too blurry. Sadly, it may not happen anytime soon considering the Switch's specs.

Edit:

This definitely helped a lot. I ended up getting it way too late. However, my only grip is that you loose the advantage of slow-motion during drawing, thus spending more time dodging the enemy while charging. That's why I thought the whole system needs tweaking.

Reading your points here's some more tips:
- There's a power up that you can equip that acts as a radar for collectables. In general try to get into windows (drawing your wonder line into them as if they were those WC thingies), circle with the wonder liner "suspicous" circular shapes and smash with unite hammer things that remind you of "buttons". The collectable's radar will help you find the rest.
- I understand why it doesn't deplete unite gauge over time when using unite morphs: It let's you mix and match different transformations. If your bar depletes you limit the variety of transformations in one combo. Once you chain a punch combo into Gun launcher, then Sword upper, 2 spins -> tomb -> punch upper you will be like "man, I wish I had MORE gauge".
- Two tips fot the knockdown animation: First, get Ukemi. When knocked down if you press Jump right when you hit the floor you will recover lost health and land on your feet. For the "pick downed team members" part, press Y (to run) and then draw a straight line and move around. You don't have to touch them with the leader, if they're touched by the line they will recover too!
- With the "bigger transformations button" upgrade it's true that you loose the slowdown, but you dont have to draw again. Consider you just enter a new combat, just keep the button pressed and you will get a huge punch ready right at the beginning. Remember you can also "team attack" while charging. Try to launch partners into enemies with X while charging your morph, then unleash.

Also don't downplay the usefulness of Team unite morph attacks (glyph + X instead of A). They deal damage and since your leader can be moving while the team attack it keeps you safer and let's you move into a better position for your huge "manual" combo.

Oh, and TRY TO FIND AS MANY HIDDEN CHARACTERS AS POSSIBLE. Those are permanent allies and it makes a HUGE difference in duration of the game, since you don't have to "rescue" as many civilians to get to 100 heroes for the bigger and more powerful unite morphs. At the beginning you start with like 20 or 30 partners. Try again Blossom City when you have 80 partners or so and suddenly you will be like "umm I remember this part being more difficult".

About variety...in fact there's a lot. But yeah, some sections do drag.

It's a shame we will probably won't have a sequel of this game due to it's TERRIBLE sales but for me it's the game with more heart from Platinum. The sense of scale is incredible, it has Platinum's best final sequence, lots of "minigames" and little details like the shirogane comet being the space station where Vanquish takes place, Rodin from bayonetta being playable (think unite Hammer but with combos), 2 zandatsu sequences from Metal Gear Rising... Bayo 2 and Nier sure have some influences from it (not only in gameplay but also content like the Valiantum Blade appearing in Bayo 2 being used by a boss). A sequel with some refinements (dodge, block, tutorials, more heroes from the start, pacing, selecting morphs just by tilting the right analog stick) and I would be in heaven. But who am I kidding... a sequel to Bayonetta was miraclously enough. A wonderful 101 sequel is unthinkable after only 300k copies. I'll be gratefull for a remaster with HD @ REAL 60 fps like the director's trailer

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Thanks a lot for the tips. Knowing this beforehand would have definitely improved my experience. Wasn't aware Ukemi worked that way.

There was also one thing that stopped me from pursuing collectables. I ran into some heart pieces which required abilities that you only acquire in later stages.

Man, all these tips make me want to go through the game one more time. As I said earlier, a big part of my frustration is because of how potentially great this game is, I just had no idea how I'm supposed to play it. I will just wait for a remaster at some point for now.

BTW, I read Kamiya was interested in making a spin off where you play as Wonderful Blue. Also, knowing the ppl in Nintendo Japan, don't be surprised if they actually end up with a sequel.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Thanks a lot for the tips. Knowing this beforehand would have definitely improved my experience. Wasn't aware Ukemi worked that way.

There was also one thing that stopped me from pursuing collectables. I ran into some heart pieces which required abilities that you only acquire in later stages.

Man, all these tips make me want to go through the game one more time. As I said earlier, a big part of my frustration is because of how potentially great this game is, I just had no idea how I'm supposed to play it. I will just wait for a remaster at some point for now.

BTW, I read Kamiya was interested in making a spin off where you play as Wonderful Blue. Also, knowing the ppl in Nintendo Japan, don't be surprised if they actually end up with a sequel.

The game is definetly better on the second playthrough, where you start with the basic stuff, way more permanent heroes and a feel for the gameplay. I can see why it didn't sell, it's definetly not an easy game and most of the stuff is hidden or not explained for some reason. The ingredients are all there, it's just that the game doesn't tell you.

Last edited: