MOAB

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
That money was spent already.

What you're telling me is we used a surface/air bomb on underground targets. This is not a useful purpose for this type of weapon. It was used "because they could" and to send a message.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
And weapons get replaced. Let's not pretend we're talking about earmarked funds, here.

now that we know the bomb works, may as well order a few, and put the difference of the cost on the middle class tax payer's dime (the primary source of funds will be planned parenthood, wildlife conservation, and public education).

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
now that we know the bomb works, may as well order a few, and put the difference of the cost on the middle class tax payer's dime (the primary source of funds will be planned parenthood, wildlife conservation, and public education).

Hey the more explosions the better, the MOAB is a great name for it to. Just look at this submarine fired missile and it's directional boosters!

giphy.gif

I know someones got to pay for the show in more ways than one but just look at the engineering there.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hey the more explosions the better, the MOAB is a great name for it to. Just look at this submarine fired missile and it's directional boosters!

giphy.gif

I know someones got to pay for the show in more ways than one but just look at the engineering there.

Until some country creates the MUADIB.

Its a killing word.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

giphy.gif

Efficiency and progress is ours once more

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Pretty easy to not kill any civilians when you just reclassify everyone as enemy combatants.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Pretty easy to not kill any civilians when you just reclassify everyone as enemy combatants.

Kind of like that genocidal maniac Truman. Guy dropped a few nukes on Japan because Stalin had a bigger dick than him, tried to spin it as saving more lives than would be lost, which was kind of hard to digest, then he made Israel, which has been a gold mine for defense contractors. Then he brought the US into the Korean war, which made no sense to Americans, other than "they're asian." Oh yeah, and he made the CIA so that they could assassinate people, starting with the first democratically elected leader in the middle east.

Trump grew up seeing Truman as what a real man should be.

It's no surprise that he's every bit the genocidal shitlord, with his MOAB on the scary Afghan farmers. Good thing he blew up their farms and developing civil systems before they could become a threat to US dominance in 500 years. (sarcasm)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Kind of like that genocidal maniac Truman. Guy dropped a few nukes on Japan because Stalin had a bigger dick than him, tried to spin it as saving more lives than would be lost, which was kind of hard to digest,

Do you know of any articles on this? I've never heard arguments other than "we needed to end the war ASAP / it saved more lives, blah blah" vs "using nukes is plain wrong / killing civilians is wrong".

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
There is considerable debate on whether Japan would have continued the war considering the losses leading up to the nukes and it may not have required mainland invasion which is the primary reasoning (american casualties) behind dropping the nukes. Who is to know? I do see both nukes as a live testing of their effectiveness however.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
That money was spent already.

What you're telling me is we used a surface/air bomb on underground targets. This is not a useful purpose for this type of weapon. It was used "because they could" and to send a message.
But that's incorrect. This was the exact use case that this bomb was developed to address. It explodes in the air just before impact with the ground, creating downward air pressure that collapses underground tunnel systems.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Do you know of any articles on this? I've never heard arguments other than "we needed to end the war ASAP / it saved more lives, blah blah" vs "using nukes is plain wrong / killing civilians is wrong".

July 24, 1945, at the Potsdam conference, Truman boasted to Stalin during a conference that the US was about to show off the biggest bomb ever. There is a lot of evidence to this, and it was directly confirmed by Truman, and discussed in Churchill's memoir, as well as other people in earshot. Stalin's reaction was to cooly request that Truman drops it on Japan.

On 8/6/1945 the US dropped little boy on Hiroshima.
On 8/9/1945 the US dropped Fat Man on Nagasaki.

The civilian casualties outweighed Japanese military casualties by over 70%.

The US fulfilled the request of a guy who killed around 20 million.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
July 24, 1945, at the Potsdam conference, Truman boasted to Stalin during a conference that the US was about to show off the biggest bomb ever. There is a lot of evidence to this, and it was directly confirmed by Truman, and discussed in Churchill's memoir, as well as other people in earshot. Stalin's reaction was to cooly request that Truman drops it on Japan.

On 8/6/1945 the US dropped little boy on Hiroshima.
On 8/9/1945 the US dropped Fat Man on Nagasaki.

The civilian casualties outweighed Japanese military casualties by over 70%.

The US fulfilled the request of a guy who killed around 20 million.

Well, it wasn't so much a request than a demonstration of power.
one good thing is with that exact demonstration everybody was so afraid to use nukes again, that there was the cold war.. still better than the alternative - especially with a player like the UDSSR who had to keep up appearances about their military and economic prowess...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well, it wasn't so much a request than a demonstration of power.
one good thing is with that exact demonstration everybody was so afraid to use nukes again, that there was the cold war.. still better than the alternative - especially with a player like the UDSSR who had to keep up appearances about their military and economic prowess...

At least 8 countries have tested nuclear weapons, and some of those countries have detonated nuclear weapons in various locations (the US has tested nukes in Nevada, the Pacific, Mississippi, Alaska, and probably somewhere near where the Kardashians grew up) so its not like the world has been a better place because of Truman.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
You could almost justify dropping the first nuke on Japan. I'm pretty sure they would have surrendered given the chance, never understood why they dropped the second.

The pro arguments for nuking Japan always seemed like after the fact revisionism.

Last edited: