Wait...what?! Backlit Gameboy Color now possible? [Not AGS101 screen]

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, I'm interested, too.

But I thought you couldn't backlight the system?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No, but I am intrigued. Front lighting the thing is garbage.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I found some old pics of them trying to figure it out. They are doing it along the same lines of a DMG. using the frontlight as a backlight panel, a piece of paper to diffuse the light and some polarization film. I bought a kit because why not - but am super curious. They mention inverting, which i can't imagine looking good on color...we'll see. I grabbed another GBC on ebay to use and also noticed how the mod scene has fucked all the gameboy prices. :annoyed:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Is this a trust worthy website? I've never heard of them before.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The site is great. The actual light panels are crap for front lighting but are probably fine for this use.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
The site is beyond question for being on the level. I recall another called Handheld Legend a couple years back being good too, not sure if they're still kicking.

Seems like a crazy work around but if it does work that sounds like a worthwhile fix. Problem is (as said already) damned gameboy modders are making the systems harder to buy for cheap and in good shape no less too because they'll be fine paying up on so-so stuff and replacing added parts to then turn over expensive mods.

I'd like to make a 2nd attempt at doing a AGB-001 (OG model w/2AAs) with a 101 screen in it. Only time I ever really modded a system it worked well but I lacked some tools and screwed up the housing. It put pressure on the LCD and after a 3ft drop onto carpet the damn thing cracked. A week ago or two I got a glacier GBA for $10 w/mario kart in the slot, sold the game, got the system for free. I'm debating leaving it alone as it's very nice, or making attempt #2.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
intriguing. looking forward to more details... and a NGPC version ^^

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
The site is great. The actual light panels are crap for front lighting but are probably fine for this use.

they aren't too bad if you use LOCA - but those bubbles!!

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I'm very intrigued by this as well. Can't wait to see how it looks. I have a frontlit GBC that's okay, but I prefer to play on my bootleg GB Boy Colour even if the screen ratio is off.

I bought my very first Everdrive for Genesis from kitsch-bent years ago. Good stuff.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Is there any point anymore? Arent there those chinese GBC color clones that have a true black lite screen in them in the first place?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
If there's an ability to take my existing hardware and install this at a significant cost reduction compared to buying another unit, then I see a whole bunch of relevance to my interests.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
That site is great, I ordered my GB carts from there and DMG parts for lighting.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Is there any point anymore? Arent there those chinese GBC color clones that have a true black lite screen in them in the first place?

they are still clones and they also have a wonky aspect ratio

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I love em but if I could get a backlit GBC I'd throw my clone in the garbage.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Yeah, I love em but if I could get a backlit GBC I'd throw my clone in the garbage.

You wouldn't pass it along to someone else so they can experience the Kong Feng glory? :keke: