Interview with Samurai Spirits team on Polygon

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Mods - Please delete thread as we will use massimiliano thread instead.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Great link, thanks. I'm worried about the (unannounced) new Samurai Shodown now, though. The system mechanics that Yasushi Adachi was criticized for are ultimately what made the series work. Making a new Samurai Shodown that looks like KOF XIV is a great idea, but if it plays like KOF XIV then it will probably fail like SSVI did.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The devs sure seem to love Genan. I never cared for him much, he always seemed out of place with the rest of the roster.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Great interview. Thanks for sharing.

Great link, thanks. I'm worried about the (unannounced) new Samurai Shodown now, though. The system mechanics that Yasushi Adachi was criticized for are ultimately what made the series work. Making a new Samurai Shodown that looks like KOF XIV is a great idea, but if it plays like KOF XIV then it will probably fail like SSVI did.

I disagree. The art direction is what ruined SSVI for me. I think the series would be in good hand with the current staff, but if they manage to get some of the original devs on board, that would be even more awesome.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
that was very interesting, thanks. so samurai shodown was originally going to be a beat em' up?. who knew. but gald it whent the direction it did.

and i always presumed genan was based off of this guy from ninja scroll

mushizo.jpg

but edward scissorhands it is.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
that was very interesting, thanks. so samurai shodown was originally going to be a beat em' up?

Well, Sengoku 2 was released in February, five months later SSI saw the light of the day. Maybe the latter originated from the extensive weapon use of the former? Or perhaps Sengoku Denshō's sequel was the reason, why Spirits was transformed into a fighter? There simply was already a sword based brawler featuring samurais & monsters in development.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
lots ofinsight, thanks for the link. Finally I know why it's spelled "Shodown", lol.

Shame they don't want to do the new SamSho...

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
Great stuff, read this today in the morning with joy in my heart :)

lots ofinsight, thanks for the link. Finally I know why it's spelled "Shodown", lol.

Shame they don't want to do the new SamSho...

I think it´s more that they must not. The rights are with SNK and he stated that they dont have the best relationship.
Would be a dream come true though...

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
That was indeed a great interview, thanks for posting this.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
is Guilty Gear really at the same table as KoF and SF?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Wow, interviewed by James 'Milkman' Mielke. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I question why he does the "Samurai gumi (gumi is Japanese for team)" thing sometimes but overall just a great interview. Really interesting about Genan being the starting point of this series.

JM: So why's Shodown spelled funny?

YA: This was suggested to us by SNK's U.S. distributor. They said that Spirits [from the Japanese title Samurai Spirits] doesn't really tell the consumer what the game is about, so they suggested replacing it with the word Showdown. And the movie Shogun was popular at the time so they suggested the spelling of Shodown as a reference to Shogun.

Well, we all took it for Engrish. Guess not.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So many great insights into the development of the franchise. You can tell that SSIII was when they did what they wanted. Massive damage sword hits, and way more Japanese.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Just found this interview myself and it's quite interesting. Here's hoping that Samurai gumi will get back together for something special.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Its not like a Samsho 8 is warranted, or a Last Blade 3. All that's needed is a deeply immersive feudal japan fighting game.

Samsho 4 is supposedly heading on the switch this week.... wish it was 2 or 3 instead.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
406218947_8ebaba7a8c.jpg

I wonder, is SamSho now officially considered vegan? :keke:

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
One of the best interviews I've read recently. Some nice inside info that was probably never known and some funny facts. Loved it!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
LoneSage, I didn't know anyone thought the spelling of Shodown was a mistake. I always took it as creative titling.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Great interview. Thanks for sharing.

I disagree. The art direction is what ruined SSVI for me. I think the series would be in good hand with the current staff, but if they manage to get some of the original devs on board, that would be even more awesome.
Ionno I think the whole 3d look SNK had now looks bland. I think Arc Sys with thier Guilt Gear Xrd and even BlazBlu are a better more natural direction that their 2d style should have taken.