tool to open AES carts

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Seriously? Looks like a great supply of tools to fuck up carts and labels. :keke: @ "metal crowbar".

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Stick to your fingernails, and patience.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Seriously? Looks like a great supply of tools to fuck up carts and labels. :keke: @ "metal crowbar".

I was thinking of the plastic tools rather the the metal ones.

Stick to your fingernails, and patience.

That's the thing, I find it impossible using my bare hands. I just had a go on a ghetto kotm2 cart. I used a credit card and got it open with a reasonable amount of force. So I stuck it back together and tried again. This time the side clips wouldn't budge and I managed to break two of them in process. I don't know how you folks do it so easily. I'm very reluctant to try cracking open the expensive stuff.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I was thinking of the plastic tools rather the the metal ones.

That's the thing, I find it impossible using my bare hands. I just had a go on a ghetto kotm2 cart. I used a credit card and got it open with a reasonable amount of force. So I stuck it back together and tried again. This time the side clips wouldn't budge and I managed to break two of them in process. I don't know how you folks do it so easily. I'm very reluctant to try cracking open the expensive stuff.

If it's high end stuff and you bought it recently don't even bother opening it, just assume it's fake and sell it to liquid snake or fakk2 at a hefty profit.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
LoL, you my post, I reported on these I believe last year. They do break though after awhile.

pollsoda

n00b
I use a medium guitar pick and start at the connector side. Works perfectly fine and doesn't damage the cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Pop the cart in the microwave, you just want the plastic soft enough to work with...

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
a7OYbHF.gif

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I don't see no reason to open up a Neo Geo cart anyway. Just check the paperworks and you're good to go. Noone would put an original insert, manual and let alone cart sticker on a fake game. So why open them up? If you want board pics just Google them.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
I don't see no reason to open up a Neo Geo cart anyway. Just check the paperworks and you're good to go. Noone would put an original insert, manual and let alone cart sticker on a fake game. So why open them up? If you want board pics just Google them.
Uhh... repair?

I opened one up the other day and a couple of those metal spudgers made quick work of the snaps without marring the plastic. I use them for similar things all the time. I did run into a problem with one of the internal posts being glued really securely (most disassembly guides don't even mention the glue and the few that do assume it will free up easily).

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If you know what you're doing and are not a weakling, you can safely open AES carts bare-handed. Sometimes the plastic is brittle so don't cry if you break a clip or 2. IT HAPPENS! :D

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
If you know what you're doing and are not a weakling, you can safely open AES carts bare-handed. Sometimes the plastic is brittle so don't cry if you break a clip or 2. IT HAPPENS! :D
Have you checked prices recently? I may not cry, but I think I might be more than a little upset with myself if I broke a clip on an expensive $4-digit game and it was preventable with the right tool.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Have you checked prices recently? I may not cry, but I think I might be more than a little upset with myself if I broke a clip on an expensive $4-digit game and it was preventable with the right tool.

I don't think it's preventable in some cases. The plastic is old and brittle. I've opened carts with tools and still had it happen.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There is no safe way to open AES carts.

Just assume it's a bootleg or don't buy it. If we all start assuming all AES carts are bootlegs, prices will go down.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
There is no safe way to open AES carts.

Just assume it's a bootleg or don't buy it. If we all start assuming all AES carts are bootlegs, prices will go down.
My tools didn't help much with the glue problem but they make quick work of the clips with no danger of breaking them:
https://youtu.be/PMEpC4YI-k0

I know there are two different styles of AES homecarts and I haven't tried the other style but, if they all work as well as this one, I don't see myself ever breaking clips with these $0.50 tools. No reason to break a clip opening it just because glue might cause you to break something after. We're dealing with a system where the games can cost thousands and the value lost from damage is not insignificant.