Thread: tool to open AES carts

Loyal Neo-Disciple

tool to open AES carts

I've successfully opened AES carts in the past but some are more stubborn than others and I worried about causing damage.

Would something like one of these tool sets do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACENIX-Open...ywords=spudger

Thanks.

NG.com Audiophile
    Club Member

Seriously? Looks like a great supply of tools to fuck up carts and labels. @ "metal crowbar".

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaThunder View Post
    I was referring to HIS throat, not my own.

I'd fuck Neo Ash's throat... lovingly.

Yamazaki's Pupil

Stick to your fingernails, and patience.

Loyal Neo-Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Ash View Post
    Seriously? Looks like a great supply of tools to fuck up carts and labels. @ "metal crowbar".
    I was thinking of the plastic tools rather the the metal ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNK View Post
    Stick to your fingernails, and patience.
    That's the thing, I find it impossible using my bare hands. I just had a go on a ghetto kotm2 cart. I used a credit card and got it open with a reasonable amount of force. So I stuck it back together and tried again. This time the side clips wouldn't budge and I managed to break two of them in process. I don't know how you folks do it so easily. I'm very reluctant to try cracking open the expensive stuff.

Yamazaki's Pupil

Quote Originally Posted by moonwhistle View Post
    I was thinking of the plastic tools rather the the metal ones.

That's the thing, I find it impossible using my bare hands. I just had a go on a ghetto kotm2 cart. I used a credit card and got it open with a reasonable amount of force. So I stuck it back together and tried again. This time the side clips wouldn't budge and I managed to break two of them in process. I don't know how you folks do it so easily. I'm very reluctant to try cracking open the expensive stuff.
    If it's high end stuff and you bought it recently don't even bother opening it, just assume it's fake and sell it to liquid snake or fakk2 at a hefty profit.

Ukyo's Doctor

LoL, you my post, I reported on these I believe last year. They do break though after awhile.
    Looking for UK copies of Dive Alert Becky's Version, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters, and Pocket Reversi.
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=41108&dateline=145772  3980

I use a medium guitar pick and start at the connector side. Works perfectly fine and doesn't damage the cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloodhound

chisel + hammer

H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay

Best tool for opening AES carts?

Your hands.

Stupid Bitch.

Pop the cart in the microwave, you just want the plastic soft enough to work with...

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Host for Orochi

I don't see no reason to open up a Neo Geo cart anyway. Just check the paperworks and you're good to go. Noone would put an original insert, manual and let alone cart sticker on a fake game. So why open them up? If you want board pics just Google them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pep
    Your nickname suits very well for someone who has decided collecting NGH

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekiller View Post
    I don't see no reason to open up a Neo Geo cart anyway. Just check the paperworks and you're good to go. Noone would put an original insert, manual and let alone cart sticker on a fake game. So why open them up? If you want board pics just Google them.
    Uhh... repair?

I opened one up the other day and a couple of those metal spudgers made quick work of the snaps without marring the plastic. I use them for similar things all the time. I did run into a problem with one of the internal posts being glued really securely (most disassembly guides don't even mention the glue and the few that do assume it will free up easily).
    -El Duderino (not into the whole "brevity" thing)

Athena's Bodyguard

If you know what you're doing and are not a weakling, you can safely open AES carts bare-handed. Sometimes the plastic is brittle so don't cry if you break a clip or 2. IT HAPPENS!

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by wyo View Post
    If you know what you're doing and are not a weakling, you can safely open AES carts bare-handed. Sometimes the plastic is brittle so don't cry if you break a clip or 2. IT HAPPENS!
    Have you checked prices recently? I may not cry, but I think I might be more than a little upset with myself if I broke a clip on an expensive $4-digit game and it was preventable with the right tool.

Athena's Bodyguard

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Have you checked prices recently? I may not cry, but I think I might be more than a little upset with myself if I broke a clip on an expensive $4-digit game and it was preventable with the right tool.
    I don't think it's preventable in some cases. The plastic is old and brittle. I've opened carts with tools and still had it happen.

There is no safe way to open AES carts.

Just assume it's a bootleg or don't buy it. If we all start assuming all AES carts are bootlegs, prices will go down.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    There is no safe way to open AES carts.

Just assume it's a bootleg or don't buy it. If we all start assuming all AES carts are bootlegs, prices will go down.
    My tools didn't help much with the glue problem but they make quick work of the clips with no danger of breaking them:
    https://youtu.be/PMEpC4YI-k0

I know there are two different styles of AES homecarts and I haven't tried the other style but, if they all work as well as this one, I don't see myself ever breaking clips with these $0.50 tools. No reason to break a clip opening it just because glue might cause you to break something after. We're dealing with a system where the games can cost thousands and the value lost from damage is not insignificant.

Thread Information