Xbox original mod using a more current setup for a friend.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Xbox is a bit of a beastie when it come's to emulating.
I got a shit ton of emu's on my 750gb and they run fab.
It's a great arcade rom box as well, coin ops, FBL and visionary are the business.
Just getting a bit dated now though, TBH my pi 3 is better.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Didn't know about the 80 wire IDE cable "mod", TIL. Might have to check my Xbox and see what's in there.

SATA drive with IDE adapter is the way to go. Also you can use up to a 2TB HDD if you TSOP flash the Xbox, which also removes drive lock restrictions so you can drop in any ol' HDD.

If you do that though, make sure you read guides online about how to properly format the new drive. If you don't do it exactly right, your data will corrupt after you have begun filling the drive.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Equipment arrives tomorrow. For now, I ordered a USB to Xbox convertor cable, used copy of Splinter Cell (you don't have to worry if it is black label or platinum) for the memory save softmod, replacement rubber belts for the shitty ones that stick in the DVD drives. I have a bunch of old 256MB-512MB USB drives thank goodness. For now, I will softmod my friend's Xbox then swap it with a IDE 500GB he got that is good to go on the HDD list, and just going to copy the memory save mod to my other Xbox systems. Going to use FTP to transfer stuff through my router. Still curious if I should do the TSOP flash or not. Anybody know the benefits of doing it in the long run?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I've always wondered this... Is it me, or do emulated games run better on a modded Xbox? Like, when I'm playing an emulator on my PC, it seems like the (emulated) CPU sporadically gets under or over clocked. This is particularly crappy and noticeable in shooters. But I notice it less, if at all, on an Xbox... But the Xbox is just a PC, right? It's Pentium 3 with pretty standard RAM.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I've always wondered this... Is it me, or do emulated games run better on a modded Xbox? Like, when I'm playing an emulator on my PC, it seems like the (emulated) CPU sporadically gets under or over clocked. This is particularly crappy and noticeable in shooters. But I notice it less, if at all, on an Xbox... But the Xbox is just a PC, right? It's Pentium 3 with pretty standard RAM.

While most of the architecture of the xbox is similar to a PC they're not exactly the same, and an xbox uses its own custom architecture built by microsoft specifically to run xbox games, kind of like how ps3 architecture and saturn architecture are these bizarre things that people had to learn how to program for

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

Xbox doesn't have 300 tasks running in the background.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I never noticed any issues like that when running on pc. Only real issue I have noticed is input lag but most of the time I just use pc emulation to help me identify issues I might have with certain games I own like graphic and sound issues.

The Xbox makes a great Rom Box. It can't run every game (Night Slashers, MKII, NBA Jam, KI) but most run fine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
It can run KI (and KI2), but it's its own program.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It can run KI (and KI2), but it's its own program.

It runs it sure but it doesn't run at full speed last time I played it but it was awhile back so I could be wrong.

Noticed the same thing with the cps3 emulator.

SOR remake is another game that runs well on the xbox.

fake

15 Year Member
Xbox doesn't have 300 tasks running in the background.

LOL true.

I don't use MAME that much, especially now with the Pandora's Box. But I do plan on using it for practicing certain difficulty areas in shmups.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
There is also the 128 ram upgrade and the Virtua Cop 3 emu that runs with lightguns on crt.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Well, not one of my USB thumb drives work out of 4 old ones and 4 new ones, sighhh. Stay away from any that use a flashing light, it will make the system screen sync with blinking, lol. Looks like I gotta go through a list. Anybody know of any selling somewhere that work for sure?

cat

Sorry SNK but i think your gonna struggle to pick up a new usb that will work with the xbox.
I've not heard of one.
BTW, why do you want to do the usb mod in the first place ?, most peeps i talk with do it just as an easy way of softmodding with the exploit, it doesn't seem to serve much more of a purpose.
Not really practical for games, even if you got lucky and manage to get a 4gb one working with it, and i don't think og xbox will recognize many usb devices either.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Going to parents house for Easter Sunday. They have tons of outdated tech!!! Fucking score!!!

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
If you don't find anything I was able to use a 4 gig sandisk drive that cost me maybe 10 bucks, this was a couple of years ago though, it was a cruzer edge 4GB

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Sorry SNK but i think your gonna struggle to pick up a new usb that will work with the xbox.
I've not heard of one.
BTW, why do you want to do the usb mod in the first place ?, most peeps i talk with do it just as an easy way of softmodding with the exploit, it doesn't seem to serve much more of a purpose.
Not really practical for games, even if you got lucky and manage to get a 4gb one working with it, and i don't think og xbox will recognize many usb devices either.

hey right quick....so i just plugged in my unmodded OG xbox. Was trying to transfer some data off of it so i hooked up my xbox to USB cable adapter to controller port 2. I cant remember whether or not even plugged in the usb flash drive yet but it red ringed on me.

do you think it might have something to do with the cable? my xbox has given me zero issues since i got it and i barely use. i even took out the clock cap years ago to keep it safe.

edit:

weird i unplugged it for a couple of hours and just tried it again to look at the error code and its working again. wonder what that was

im gonna have a look at the error code to see if its something i can fix but it would really suck if that stupid cheap Chinese adapter killed my xbox

Last edited:

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I've not heard of one.

I need the USB to do the softmod exploit. I guess I could have went with the Gameshark that costs $13... kinda wish I did now.

cat

Yeah i'd personally not bother with the usb mod TBH.
It's a bit of a minefield finding a usb that will work with the xbox, like i said in an earlier post your best bet is a real old 256 mb or 512 mb.
Xbox is way to fussy with them to be worth the bother though IMO.
Swapping out the hdd is the only mod i'd recommend, i got a 300gb and a 750gb both ide.
If you go the sata route you'll need to make sure you get the right ide to sata adaptor and the correct ata cable or you'll have problems galore again.
I got big builds of coin ops, visionary and FBL on my 750gb xbox and they are pretty awesome.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Well, not one of my USB thumb drives work out of 4 old ones and 4 new ones, sighhh. Stay away from any that use a flashing light, it will make the system screen sync with blinking, lol. Looks like I gotta go through a list. Anybody know of any selling somewhere that work for sure?

What about using an android phone as a storage device? Many a success with that.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Finally got everything to work on my Xbox with a USB stick 512MB I found. I am waiting on my 250GB IDE HDD to come in, since that is plenty of memory for me and only $20. I modded my friend's Xbox which turned out to have a 250GB in it already. The softmod was taken off or just set to dual boot but primarily with the regular dash when his friend modded it, lol. So I went ahead and got it going again. Well, I played an Xbox game on it and it tried to connect to live, then it killed the dashboard, lol. Error 13, when I unplugged it and plugged it back in Error 16. So, turns out the cap is dead and it won't hold the internal clock, thus bricked. The only trick for me to revive it is to either external flash the bios or put in a mod chip. I ordered a mod chip and will be installing it soon. This is all kinds of annoying to deal with. So yeah, be careful with Xbox games with live and definitely go ahead and TSOP flash or at least update the regular dash board with a later game before softmodding. Lesson learned there.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
So yeah, be careful with Xbox games with live and definitely go ahead and TSOP flash or at least update the regular dash board with a later game before softmodding. Lesson learned there.

Are any of the oXbox games on live anymore? Anyways, whenever you mod a system from that gen and up, don't go online unless you know what you're doing (spoofing). Instant way to ban your system.

fake

15 Year Member
Are any of the oXbox games on live anymore? Anyways, whenever you mod a system from that gen and up, don't go online unless you know what you're doing (spoofing). Instant way to ban your system.

They've all been taken offline for years. And GameSpy is dead, so that method of tunneling doesn't work anymore. (Playing Halo 1 online was good times :lolz:.)

fake

15 Year Member
I could never get it to work.

It was definitely a pain in the ass to set up, but once it was configured, it tended to work pretty well. Games would get dropped way more frequently than XBL, but for what it was, it was great.