Any Baseball fans on this forum?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My Royals are a freaking train wreck. Currently at 22-30, there is literally only 2 teams worse than them in all of MLB (Giants, Phillies). They are dead last in runs scored.

Back to being the "good old Royals" I guess...

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
My condolences to you Smokehouse.

BTW How about the Blue Jays? The weather warms up and suddenly they are closer and closer to 500.

Personally I might take a bet that the White Sox might end up with a better record then the Cubs. Considering the Sox have 2 starting pitchers on the DL and the Cubs have been relatively healthy it's a bit of a head scratcher.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
My condolences to you Smokehouse.

BTW How about the Blue Jays? The weather warms up and suddenly they are closer and closer to 500.

Personally I might take a bet that the White Sox might end up with a better record then the Cubs. Considering the Sox have 2 starting pitchers on the DL and the Cubs have been relatively healthy it's a bit of a head scratcher.
Very true about the Cubs, it's hard to explain. Almost all of their position players are playing worse than last year, save Kris Bryant. Schwarber's been one of the worst hitters in the league. They still have time to get back on track, but it's looking less and less like this is a temporary problem.

Jays and Dodgers both have come on strong.

Astros look like the best team in MLB by a good margin. Nats are playing great, as usual, but if there's one team I fully expect to choke in the playoffs, it's them.

I like Houston and LA make it to the World Series, I think.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
That NL West is impressive with the Rockies and surprise...the D-Backs tied for first with the Dodgers a half game behind. Dodgers are suppose to be good, Rockies pretty decent but Arizona off to a fantastic start, especially at home. Whether they can keep it up till September we'll have to wait and see.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
im not really surprised the d-backs are as good as they are. they lost one of thier best hitters in spring training last year and grienke had a terrible season. Everything is back on track this year.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
NL West really is a strong division and it will be an interesting one to watch. Not to the same extent, but the AL East is close as well. Then there's those fucking Astros...damn, they on fire. Then again, getting hot in June is hardly the answer to post season success.

Personally, with my KC boys pretty much out of the running for now, I'm having a good time watching the NL Central. The Cubs, Cards, and Brewers all bouncing around over and over make for some good baseball when they have to play each other.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Says team is out of the running when 5.5 games out of a playoff position and 2/3 of a season left to play.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
What?

It's June and the Rockies are still good?

TO THE BANDWAGON

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Says team is out of the running when 5.5 games out of a playoff position and 2/3 of a season left to play.

Yeah...but you have to look a bit deeper.

KC is poised to sell off players, big time. Historically, this is what they do. If they're still bottom of the MLB barrel come the trade deadline...players are going elsewhere. Most of their top players are also free agents come end of the season as well...

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Yeah...but you have to look a bit deeper.

KC is poised to sell off players, big time. Historically, this is what they do. If they're still bottom of the MLB barrel come the trade deadline...players are going elsewhere. Most of their top players are also free agents come end of the season as well...

Not really. Two years removed from two consecutive ws appearances and a title. Your free agents won't get much on the trade market. Vargas is back in a big way. You are in a weak ass division that contains a team in full tank mode, an old team with giant contracts they can't get rid of, a team playing way over their head, and Cleveland who is having a few problems of their own . You have a solid talent in soler who now that he has a chance to start every day needs to adjust as so. He'll be a nice boost by summer.

They are very much in the race and don't have the hardest path there even if their record says otherwise.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Not really. Two years removed from two consecutive ws appearances and a title. Your free agents won't get much on the trade market. Vargas is back in a big way. You are in a weak ass division that contains a team in full tank mode, an old team with giant contracts they can't get rid of, a team playing way over their head, and Cleveland who is having a few problems of their own . You have a solid talent in soler who now that he has a chance to start every day needs to adjust as so. He'll be a nice boost by summer.

They are very much in the race and don't have the hardest path there even if their record says otherwise.

I appreciate your optimism...I guess the long time KC fan in me is too pessimistic.

I'll say that their bats are heating up. At a run DIFF of -50, their bats have been ice cold. Their pitching is definitely looking up, I'll give you that. They've taken two solid wins from Hou, and that is no joke.

I feel that parts of the reason why KC has struggled is who they've played. Between Min, NYY, Bal, Cle, and Hou...that's 32 games against teams with a win ave of .575. That's over half their season so far. Thankfully, June lightens up the throttle a bit against more winnable teams.

At this point, I'll be happy if they make a post season appearance...but again, the old KC fan in me sayz "nope".

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I appreciate your optimism...I guess the long time KC fan in me is too pessimistic.

I'll say that their bats are heating up. At a run DIFF of -50, their bats have been ice cold. Their pitching is definitely looking up, I'll give you that. They've taken two solid wins from Hou, and that is no joke.

I feel that parts of the reason why KC has struggled is who they've played. Between Min, NYY, Bal, Cle, and Hou...that's 32 games against teams with a win ave of .575. That's over half their season so far. Thankfully, June lightens up the throttle a bit against more winnable teams.

At this point, I'll be happy if they make a post season appearance...but again, the old KC fan in me sayz "nope".

i'm a mets fan. i'm made of pessimism.

its been a rough first 1/3 of the season for sure for you (not as bad as mine, lol). i'm just saying your path is not as bad as it would seem. thats a division and a wild card race that is wide open for the taking. may the team that sucks the least win.

for the record- minnesota is not for real (they start hot a lot and always end up below .500 around the all star break) and odds are that baltimore falls off too. the twins just dont have the rotation, bullpen, or lineup to be players this season.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

worth repeating.

sidenote. here are todays wildcard standings.

np9LjHg.png

i knew the royals were too good to just fall off a cliff.

next season they wont be able to afford to keep the team together, but here's a last chance saloon for you.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
I'm a life long Indians fan and one of two people rooting for them last year, lol. I do live in Phoenix, so I do watch The Diamondbacks play at Chase Field.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Honestly I'm happy the Royals came back so fast. Not that I hate the Indians, but for as much as they belly ache about being the new unlucky team KC fans had to put up with a lot of shit and they don't belly ache half as much. If I can't have my teams in it a KC/Brew Crew World series would be pretty cool.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Ehh, I disagree. Ever since the Cavs won the Finals in 2016 a lot of the pressure is off of Cleveland. Would've been nice to have the Indians win last year too, but even losing that and the Finals in 2017 people here don't mind nearly as much.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Maybe it's the constant bitching in the past when they would go to the World Series then bitch all day, but I felt annoyed hearing it all those years when I'm a Cubs fan happy when they make the playoffs. Before last year I looked at '84 and '03 as fucking amazing years because they actually did something in the playoffs, but still appreciate '89, '98, '07, & '08 as fun years to watch the regular season. I never felt Cleveland fans felt the same way.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I think the whining comes from being the butt of all jokes all the time, being referred to as The Mistake by the Lake, having a river that caught on fire multiple times. Heck, Randy Newman made a song poking fun at Cleveland.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I think the whining comes from being the butt of all jokes all the time, being referred to as The Mistake by the Lake, having a river that caught on fire multiple times. Heck, Randy Newman made a song poking fun at Cleveland.

well, lets be honest. it IS cleveland after all..

Last edited:

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
Only fans I hate are Yankee fans. I see a lot of Cubbies fan out here as there's a lot of snowbirds come down here for Spring Training. It's only gotten worse since the Cubs actually won.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Only fans I hate are Yankee fans. I see a lot of Cubbies fan out here as there's a lot of snowbirds come down here for Spring Training. It's only gotten worse since the Cubs actually won.
Yep, there's a whole swarm of them right by where I live...which is less than a mile away from Sloan Park (where the Cubs play their spring training games).