Any Baseball fans on this forum?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Will my Dodgers finally win another World Series?
Kershaw had a bad outing yesterday, but I hope he will bounce back, and get 20 wins this year.

If the Dodgers manage to stay healthy they will be competing for the NL crown, and eventually in the World Series.

As far as I know they still haven't fixed their problem they had in the playoffs last year. Depth at starting pitching. Kershaw can only be sent out so many times before he tires out. If Rich Hill and Scott Kazmir return to form maybe, but that's a lot of wishful thinking, Against teams like the Cubs, Mets and Nationals in a 7 game series that's quite an uphill battle.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Yeah...the Latino market for MLB has the potential to be huge.

I'd agree that the NFL bubble is about to burst...there's just a "feeling" about it. I know that I haven't enjoyed current games nearly as much as I used to.The officiating is shit, the never ending rule changes are confusing and most importantly, really disrupt the spontaneity/flow of the game. Seriously, how fucking long until they just land up reviewing every play, every time? I mean why not, lets just make 60 min on the clock take 5 real world hours...

There is no "feeling" about it. It's already begun. Their viewership numbers were down till the week of Thanksgiving. The product is suffering. A product sold on brutality has been gimped. The rule changes have created a nightmare for the overall game. A pass play has a 75% positive outcome for the offense(Complete, Incomplete, Flag vs Interception). Artificial end game heroics by these rule changes have and will continue to water down the product.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
There is no "feeling" about it. It's already begun. Their viewership numbers were down till the week of Thanksgiving. The product is suffering. A product sold on brutality has been gimped. The rule changes have created a nightmare for the overall game. A pass play has a 75% positive outcome for the offense(Complete, Incomplete, Flag vs Interception). Artificial end game heroics by these rule changes have and will continue to water down the product.
Makes me wish we had the all the smaller town NFL teams back like Akron, Duluth, Dayton, Canton.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
With all of this talk about Latinos and baseball, I just want to acknowledge that the amount of talent that comes out of the Dominican Republic is ridiculous.

Jays are off to a bad start...can't score any runs right now.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
With all of this talk about Latinos and baseball, I just want to acknowledge that the amount of talent that comes out of the Dominican Republic is ridiculous.

It's early in the season. Teams tend to score less in April. I wouldn't worry.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member

Some of the talent out of the DR is actually Cuban as well. Cuban players have to defect from Cuba before going to the US. So they will make their way to the Dominican, Mexico, Venezuela, and work toward getting noticed and signed in these other countries often on forged documents/passports.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

Letting Encarnacion walk and then shitting all over Mark Trumbo instead of signing him was a great move there, Atkins.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
This.

The NFL is sitting on a bubble that will burst sooner than later, and the Latino market is far more important than the black one in terms of future fans. That would bode well for baseball and especially soccer.

Also, if instant replay existed in 1985, Cardinal fans would have nothing but fond memories.

NFL is getting really popular in Mexico. I think the NFL is realizing this, and that is why they are playing games there.

As for the NFL, I watch buy not as much as before. I'd rather watch a college football game on Saturday.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
As far as I know they still haven't fixed their problem they had in the playoffs last year. Depth at starting pitching. Kershaw can only be sent out so many times before he tires out. If Rich Hill and Scott Kazmir return to form maybe, but that's a lot of wishful thinking, Against teams like the Cubs, Mets and Nationals in a 7 game series that's quite an uphill battle.

Rich Hill already has a blister one week into the season, so the pitching problems will continue : (
Also if Julio Urias is inserted into the starting rotation early in the season, he might not be pitching in the playoffs.
The Dodgers most likely will limit his pitching again this year.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It might depend on how desperate they become to win. The Giants still look like monsters in their division. Last year's collapse was one hell of a lucky break for the Dodgers last year.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I'll be very impressed if the Pirates can keep their shit together long enough to even make the NL Central interesting this year.

lulz, didn't even make it a week.

They're in Chicago for the weekend, if they get swept there, I'm prepared to declare the season over before May.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
lulz, didn't even make it a week.

They're in Chicago for the weekend, if they get swept there, I'm prepared to declare the season over before May.

Welcome to the world of being a White Sox fan. Our seasons are generally over by the second week.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Welcome to the world of being a White Sox fan. Our seasons are generally over by the second week.

Totally wrong. It's over by the time the weather gets warmer and the pitchers realize homers fly out at Comiskey (fuck whatever name it is now Guaranteed fuck you). Right now Shields and Holland look pretty good. I fear May.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

White Sox just can't catch a break...they're the red-headed step children of Chicago, and always will be.

My good friend is a Sox lifer...and like me and KC, he is used to being the fan of an ever disrespected team. Even after a WS win in 2005, they still couldn't get any love.

Either way, I cheer for the unloved, and the Sox fit that bill. I often go to Comiskey once a season to watch a Sox-KC game. I won't be making that trip this year, but I'll be back sooner or later.

Here's me at the game last year:
Sox2016%201_zpsu45gere2.jpg

Had some great seats:
Sox2016%203_zpslf48qn77.jpg

*EDIT*
I will say this...for the life of me, I cannot fathom why is the park facing the wrong way. Who decided this was a good idea?

Seriously, look at this:
cellularfieldchicago_1024.jpg

You have that amazing Chicago cityscape right there, and you chose to point the park the opposite direction, and close up the outfield with a giant metal wall/billboards.Insanity.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Trust me being a Cubs fan Sox fans reminded Cubs fans about '05 over and over and over.... Funny story with the Sox. Summer of '07 I was visiting my best friend and decided to just show up to Comiskey and catch a game. Went to the ticket counter and asked for the best seats you can get. They gave me lower deck behind home plate. I found that hilarious you can sit basically where ever you want.

One of the reasons I switched teams in the late 80's was nobody ever came. It frustrated the fuck out of me as a kid. You could get an upper deck seat behind home plate back in the 90's for $4 every Monday (half price night). Plus you could usually take up multiple seats back there to stretch out and relax (as much as you can in those seats). My straw was going to a September game when the Sox were playing the 1st place Oakland team, 2 games back, and nobody gave a fuck to show up. That was fucking sad. Hell my dad was winning contests in the ball park for seats to a future game because hardly anybody bothered to enter.

I still have love for the Sox (still my 2nd fav team), but fuck those fans.

You have that amazing Chicago cityscape right there, and you chose to point the park the opposite direction, and close up the outfield with a giant metal wall/billboards.Insanity.

They don't want the people in the bleachers watching people getting robbed on Pershing? It might have to do with when it was being constructed. The old Comiskey was right next to it. Turning it that way I think has you looking right at Old Comiskey.

oldandnewcomiskeypark1991-uscellularfield.jpg

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
smokes how much parking cost you

how about the food, you eat anything

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Trust me being a Cubs fan Sox fans reminded Cubs fans about '05 over and over and over.... Funny story with the Sox. Summer of '07 I was visiting my best friend and decided to just show up to Comiskey and catch a game. Went to the ticket counter and asked for the best seats you can get. They gave me lower deck behind home plate. I found that hilarious you can sit basically where ever you want.

One of the reasons I switched teams in the late 80's was nobody ever came. It frustrated the fuck out of me as a kid. You could get an upper deck seat behind home plate back in the 90's for $4 every Monday (half price night). Plus you could usually take up multiple seats back there to stretch out and relax (as much as you can in those seats). My straw was going to a September game when the Sox were playing the 1st place Oakland team, 2 games back, and nobody gave a fuck to show up. That was fucking sad. Hell my dad was winning contests in the ball park for seats to a future game because hardly anybody bothered to enter.

I still have love for the Sox (still my 2nd fav team), but fuck those fans.

I'll say that Sox fans are pretty brutal.

Those seats I posted are one costly ones that I get comped from a parts vendor, or else I wouldn't go. I would go see KC play there but got tired of having shit thrown at me or getting cussed at when wearing a KC jersey. That doesn't happen in the high rent section.

I went with a buddy one year when they were playing the Tigers, a guy a few rows down was wearing a nice white Detroit jersey and when the Tigers started handing it to the Sox, the fans began chucking so much shit at the guy and his girl that security had to come break it up, kick some people out, and move the fella elsewhere. He jersey was fucked.

I'll say I've never seen fan boo/cuss at their own team so much as I do at a Sox game...it's one place I won't take my daughter.

Around where I live, dealing with Cardinals fans is the worst, bunch of mouthy twats. Speaking of bitchy fans, I've never seen fans jet on their team more than STL. I've been to a ton of games down there and if it's past the 6th inning and STL is down, watch the fans start to clear out.

I went and watched a STL/KC game last summer...I told my wife to watch the stands if KC pulled away from them. Sure enough, KC pulled and the fans jetted.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
smokes how much parking cost you

how about the food, you eat anything

That game was pretty sweet, they're the fancy high rent district seats in what they call the Magellan Scout Seats:
http://m.mlb.com/whitesox/tickets/premium/scout-seats

It has up front parking, a private entrance, full buffet, full bar, a waiter brings drinks during the game as well as finger food. It's all covered in the ticket price. Like I said before, I get a vendor to give me a pair every year so to me, the cost was zip.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Yeah Chicago fans are fuckheads. I've gone to a bunch of Sox/Cubs games at Comiskey and there's always drunken losers starting fights.

Cards fans do leave early I will admit. At least they aren't as nasty as Chicago fans, but man they come off as snobish idiots quite a bit. I really want to go to a Sox/Royals or Cards/Royals at Kauffman at least once.

When I went to a Sox game with my wife in '14 I believe parking was $24. The food prices were pretty average (comparing them to Busch).

lithy

20 Year Member
I was a White Sox kid until the strike and a family move in 1995 took us out of the Chicago area. I had gone to one game at old Comiskey and one game at (what was then actually still named) new Comiskey Park. After that I stayed away from baseball for over 15 years. Moving to Pittsburgh got me back into it and I've enjoyed it.

That picture with the skyline behind Guaranteed Rate Field (lulz) is pretty funny, at least they faced PNC Park the right direction. Also a nice view from the right spots in Coors Field.

23093.49117.jpg

My grandparents are Cubs fans, I don't care for the Cubs much but there is one thing they do right. Day fucking baseball. Fuck these 7pm starts that finish at 10:30-11pm or later if it goes extras.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Family is mostly Cubs fans, but I didn't care all that much growing up. I had fun going to a couple games when I was a little kid back in the day. Ryne Sandberg, Sammy Sosa, Mark Grace, good times.

I started getting interested again a couple years ago when I was old enough to get my head around enjoying a totally different kind of game. Had to understand how to watch each pitch and see every at bat as a duel instead of just waiting for a hit.

Since I had been up here in Wisconsin for over 10 years, I figured, what the hell, I'll just be a Brewers fan. They'll never be worth a damn, but that kinda just makes it easier to enjoy. No expectations.

I went to opening day at Miller Park last year for my first game in probably over 25 years. Stadium is nice as hell. I got tickets for 4 games this year, the first one being a week from Saturday.

lithy

20 Year Member
If you want to see a Brewers win, I hope one of your games is a Pirates matchup.

The most recent stat from last July, the Pirates are 17-64 at Miller since 2007.

Miller looks nice, I have driven past it dozens of times while in town visiting my wife's family, but I have never tried to go to a game.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
They don't want the people in the bleachers watching people getting robbed on Pershing? It might have to do with when it was being constructed.

As a general rule, the back of the stadium (the side home plate is on) should be facing west, so that during sunset, the sun does not shine into the eyes of the batter. And during sunset, the stadium shadow is to protect the pitcher's eyes. There is a very specific rule about stadium orientation that is non-binding, as in it is not followed correctly yet not punished. However, there are no major league stadiums facing the wrong direction entirely.

In the summer, the midday sun is in the southern sky and moving toward the west. So, for a game that begins at 1 p.m. and ends about 4 p.m., the sun starts just west of south and moves so that it will eventually set in the northwest. Therefore, a properly aligned ballpark will be oriented northeast-ward to keep the sun out of the batters eyes during the game. As a result, the sun is often in the eyes of the outfielders.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/lost-in-the-sun-the-physics-of-ballpark-orientation/

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
last night the mets and marlins went to 16 innings.

here is that games mvp.

P6Kf3V1.jpg

geise

Mickey's Coach

At least you've been able to see your team win a world series.

LOL cdamm!

Last edited: