Any Baseball fans on this forum?

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Great Game. Yankees did what they had to do to win. That Gardner @ Bat in the 9th was so much fun to watch. That's old school baseball.

That was an amazing at bat.

He was just trying to make contact, and fouled a bunch of pitches until he thrown the pitch he wanted.

Great base running by Frazier on the error.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

He was just trying to make contact, and fouled a bunch of pitches until he thrown the pitch he wanted.

A batter was trying to make contact with the ball? Holy shit! This insight is amazing! Tell me more! Was the pitcher trying to avoid the batter hitting the ball? Or did the pitcher want the batter to hit it? Me so confuse!!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This is why sports talk is so fuckin' gay. The winning team did what they had to do to win? WOW!!! Did that by chance involve scoring more runs than the other team? Or was there some other secret to winning the game? Let me guess, they hit the ball. They got guys on base and they drove the runs in. Brilliant! That's so different than every other single sports game where one team won and the other lost.

Managing the pitching staff the way they did in giving their Starters the proper rest was another reason. Not going to the Bullpen to early. Getting a Superb game out Tanaka and Severino. Also getting a good enough game out of CC tonight against Kluber was huge. DiDi setting the tone early in the game with the two home runs was also what they had to do to set the tone.

Having that Wild Card Match than playing the Indians on the Road 2 games and losing one game they should have won and than coming back and winning 3 games in a row. Shit ain't easy bro, especially against a team like Cleveland.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Great base running by Frazier on the error.

Yea Gardner likes to annoy the shit out of pitchers till he gets what he wants. It's fun to watch those battles. Yea Frazier is a smart player. That run he mad was a game changer. I wasn't that confident going into the bottom of the 9th only up one run. Chapman is good but we've seen him make mistakes before.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
The big mis manage here was pitching to Gardner and not walking him to get to an ice cold judge.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
The big mis manage here was pitching to Gardner and not walking him to get to an ice cold judge.

That... actually makes a lot of sense, now that you mention it...

Like, after the sitch or seventh foul ball and realizing Gardner was just waiting for the right ball, had they done that, I could totally see Judge striking out.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thinking about it more and I don't know if I would have done it. Judge was itching to get a Big hit. Had they put him in that position with the bases loaded there is a possibility of a grand slam and than the shit would have really blown up. It's risky either way. Take a base hit or a possibility of a grand slam. I've seen players in the past go 0-for whatever and they just need that one big hit that makes up for all those shit at bats.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The Late 90's yankees were a homegrown team... With "Paycheck Players" on the side.
Jeter
Rivera
Posada
Petite
Williams

They had plenty of "Paycheck Players"

Roger Clemens
David Cone
Tino Martinez
Paul O'Neill
Chuck Knoblauch
Mike Stanton
Daryl Strawberry
Chili (edit not Chris) Davis
Joe Girardi
Jeff Nelson

Also they were the big name on the foreign player market and players like Hideki Irabu refused to sign with anyone BUT them. I'm sure it helped getting Orlando Hernandez.

Lastly the free agent draft is different now then what it used to be. The picks could refuse to sign with whoever drafted them and then sign whoever they want after waiting a year. The Yankees scooped up a ton of top talent that way by paying them big money. So even if it supposedly came from the homegrown talent it still has a lot to do with having the biggest pockets.

Make no mistake The New York Yankees were "The Evil Empire" back then.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Roger Clemens
David Cone
Tino Martinez
Paul O'Neill
Chuck Knoblauch
Mike Stanton
Daryl Strawberry
Chris Davis
Joe Girardi
Jeff Nelson

Also they were the big name on the foreign player market and players like Hideki Irabu refused to sign with anyone BUT them. I'm sure it helped getting Orlando Hernandez.

Lastly the free agent draft is different now then what it used to be. The picks could refuse to sign with whoever drafted them and then sign whoever they want after waiting a year. The Yankees scooped up a ton of top talent that way by paying them big money. So even if it supposedly came from the homegrown talent it still has a lot to do with having the biggest pockets.

Very true. On top of that, they had a owner who refused to lose. Once other teams started to lock up their young talent with long term contracts it was a wrap. Now the only way to do it is through scouting and farm system. Thee Yankees will have to lock some of these guys with some long term deals, especially Judge, I dont think he's going any where.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Roger Clemens
David Cone
Tino Martinez
Paul O'Neill
Chuck Knoblauch
Mike Stanton
Daryl Strawberry
Chris Davis
Joe Girardi
Jeff Nelson

Oh...I agree...in the 90's/early 2000's, you were only one of two fans:

I love the Yankees
Fuck the Yankees (pretty much every other fan)

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
A batter was trying to make contact with the ball? Holy shit! This insight is amazing! Tell me more! Was the pitcher trying to avoid the batter hitting the ball? Or did the pitcher want the batter to hit it? Me so confuse!!

Short swing, fast hands, IDK what they call it in your area. Dude is trying to simply get the ball in play. He was not trying to hit a homerun, or a sacrifice, which increases his chance of striking out. Aaron Judge strikes out consistently because he always bats for power.

The pitcher was actually trying to get the batter to hit a popup if you notice the at bat he tried to avoid the lower part of the plate.

Additionally, Gardner fouled at least 3 balls that were out of the strike zone in the second half of his twelve pitch at bat. He could have gotten a walk, but his goal was to get a hit over the infield.

It was a great at bat.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Thinking about it more and I don't know if I would have done it. Judge was itching to get a Big hit. Had they put him in that position with the bases loaded there is a possibility of a grand slam and than the shit would have really blown up. It's risky either way. Take a base hit or a possibility of a grand slam. I've seen players in the past go 0-for whatever and they just need that one big hit that makes up for all those shit at bats.

I still think I would have risked it. It's not like Judge was batting below average or anything like that, he was seriously ice cold, plus Gardner has a history of coming up with hits in those kinda moments too whereas Judge is an unknown in that. You're right though that if he crushed it out of the park it would have been talked about for days.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I still think I would have risked it. It's not like Judge was batting below average or anything like that, he was seriously ice cold, plus Gardner has a history of coming up with hits in those kinda moments too whereas Judge is an unknown in that. You're right though that if he crushed it out of the park it would have been talked about for days.

Yea I would have leaned more towards walking Gardner.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Divisional Series

American League

Houston defeats Boston 3 games to 1
New York defeats Cleveland 3 games to 2

National League

Los Angeles defeats Arizona 3 games to 0
Chicago defeats Washington 3 games to 2

League Championship Series

Friday's game:

New York at Houston; 8:08 pm ET (FS1)

Saturday's games:

New York at Houston; 4:08 pm ET (FOX)
Chicago at Los Angeles; 8:08 pm ET (TBS)

Sunday's game:

Chicago at Los Angeles; 7:38 pm ET (TBS)

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
lol nats.

and they continue to be a team that has never won a single playoff series.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wow...Cubs pull for a big win. Personally, I'm glad to see Davis get the chance to redeem himself after the meatball he have up in game 4. Being an ex KC fella, I have a soft spot for him...

Some good teams in the AL/NLDS, this should be some great baseball.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Wow...Cubs pull for a big win. Personally, I'm glad to see Davis get the chance to redeem himself after the meatball he have up in game 4. Being an ex KC fella, I have a soft spot for him...

Some good teams in the AL/NLDS, this should be some great baseball.

I agree, other than the LA/AZ series, the games have been great and very competitive. Who ever makes it to the WS, It's going to be great. May the best teams win.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
The possibility of having a Dodgers/Yankees WS is very awesome indeed. Mind you, its a very remote possibility, but it is there.

Alas... Astros come first. Dang...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The possibility of having a Dodgers/Yankees WS is very awesome indeed. Mind you, its a very remote possibility, but it is there.

Alas... Astros come first. Dang...

I think Cubs Yankees would be even bigger. That would be a ratings machine.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Now David Ross is going to be even more annoying.

Nats gotta fire Baker.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Now David Ross is going to be even more annoying.

Nats gotta fire Baker.

Or platoon managers, let Baker handle the regular season and bring in someone else for just the postseason.