Neo Games That Haven't Aged Well

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Top Hunter is awesome and this is a good example of the hate it gets.

This is the worst example ever.

EDIT: Do you think someone who thinks poorly of Top Hunter is going to be aware of the IREM connection it has and then romanticize it with an "IREM owns"?

You don't even read posts though, so you can't read between the lines.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Top Hunter is a good sidescroller with a very well-implemented faux-3D game play mechanic.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This is the worst example ever.

EDIT: Do you think someone who thinks poorly of Top Hunter is going to be aware of the IREM connection it has and then romanticize it with an "IREM owns"?

You don't even read posts though, so you can't read between the lines.

I tried to explain to radiant and madman in chat that he clearly misread the thread title but they didn't get it ;)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
For me on a very personal level...

I don't think Puzzled has aged well, the thing is, I love Tetris, prolly one of the games I play the most on a regular basis. I love Tetris Plus as well, which is basically a backward version of Puzzled, but Puzzled just plays rather meh, it's not just the higher degree of difficulty that bothers me but the movement of the tetriminos, I do like the cascade effect which is a rare find in most Tetris games as a main mode. To me the game has aged badly 'cause as a Tetris game you just wanna play something else within a half hour, it's not a good enough game to keep you interested. I've tried for the 1CC to no avail, of course that's no excuse to demean the game but the premise of moving forward seems so elusive that is tough to enjoy the game. Prolly 'cause I feel the system is broken, as in erasing hard blocks is hard enough now let alone the speed of the tetriminos is pretty intense and on top of that the movement/placement of the pieces is archaic, NES and GB Tetris moves the pieces smoother and it allows for more precision at higher speeds. Edit: ...and those are older games mind you. So yeah, tldr; Puzzled aged like crap 'cause it plays mediocre even for its time.

Last edited:

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'd go with Art of Fighting. I love the 3rd one, but for me the first one was all about the big-ass sprites and cool scaling and nothing else. Actually, I guess I didn't like the way it played way back when. The first World Heroes aged pretty bad too.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...the first one was all about the big-ass sprites and cool scaling and nothing else.

Homer+badman+season+6+episode+9+_eaf6f4393d0fa15a4a2adc0ec55ff6a8.jpg

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm gonna get crucified for this, but I don't think Metal Slug 3 has aged very well. The zombie level and the aliens are too over the top and boring to fight. It doesn't have that classic military feel that older SNK games going to back to Ikari Warriors to Metal Slug have. I still play it though. I also think it's too difficult.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
crucified? lol, we already know how fakked you can be, this post is no surprise.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I'm gonna get crucified for this, but I don't think Metal Slug 3 has aged very well. The zombie level and the aliens are too over the top and boring to fight. It doesn't have that classic military feel that older SNK games going to back to Ikari Warriors to Metal Slug have. I still play it though. I also think it's too difficult.

i don't think a game having flaws means it hasn't aged well. many including my self no longer think metal slug 3 is as good as we once thought it to be, but i would say the entire metal slug series is timeless.

MissFaith

New Challenger
1664026.jpg

geise

Mickey's Coach
For me it's Blues Journey. I used to love the game and had a lot fun with it in the Neo early days. Now, I just get sort of bored with it and find myself moving on to play something else. Maybe I've just started getting old man's ADD.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
I remember back when I rented a Neo Geo system with Fatal Fury 1 and Robo Army. Back then Robo Army was amazing visually with great sound/music. Now when I play it, I noticed how clunky the controls are and there is not much color/animation..pretty generic. The one thing going for it is the big boss battles and sprites/zooming effects.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
kof94-stage-japan.gif
I wouldn't say kof94
at all
IMO.. erm... Magician Lord I guess. I thought it looked amazing back then (I was probably wrong even back then), I still think the art for what it's worth is very nice. it just could have been a lot better, so would have loved a sequel

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
IMO.. erm... Magician Lord I guess. I thought it looked amazing back then (I was probably wrong even back then), I still think the art for what it's worth is very nice. it just could have been a lot better, so would have loved a sequel

no you weren't wrong. it's one of those games when I was a kid where I looked in the background behind the action and was just captivated by the world. nice use of bright colors in the first couple of stages (FUCK THE FROG LEVEL JESUS WHY ALPHA DENSHI WHY). The bosses in that game were sick - man one of them had a pentagram written in blood! dude! pentagram! in blood! In 1990!!!

Unfortunately it was very much a 'put a quarter or two in it and just give up' kind of arcade game, which is why a sequel was never made. but man you're right, if one game deserved a sequel on the Neo it was Magician Lord - a sequel would've made everything better.

Also I just remembered there was a maze in one of the stages too, I think during the frog level...wtf were they thinking, just terrible terrible arcade game design for that part.

EDIT:

ML2.jpg

Damned demon dog's got horns for eyes lmbo

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
no you weren't wrong. it's one of those games when I was a kid where I looked in the background behind the action and was just captivated by the world. nice use of bright colors in the first couple of stages (FUCK THE FROG LEVEL JESUS WHY ALPHA DENSHI WHY). The bosses in that game were sick - man one of them had a pentagram written in blood! dude! pentagram! in blood! In 1990!!!

Unfortunately it was very much a 'put a quarter or two in it and just give up' kind of arcade game, which is why a sequel was never made. but man you're right, if one game deserved a sequel on the Neo it was Magician Lord - a sequel would've made everything better.

Also I just remembered there was a maze in one of the stages too, I think during the frog level...wtf were they thinking, just terrible terrible arcade game design for that part.

EDIT:

View attachment 45310

Damned demon dog's got horns for eyes lmbo

Ha! Pure evil.
They went with a pseudo pentagram, they didn't want to ruffle too many feathers surely

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is what I was talking about in my Magician Lord review. That frog level is a disaster for first time players. You have to memorize the path. And unfortunately I short-changed this game when I played it in the late 1990's. It's an awesome looking game and it needed a sequel.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I watched a longplay of The Super Spy and was incredulous throughout the two hours that there's only one song, except during the boss fights.

I get the feeling it was rushed for the launch of the Neo, lots of 'copy+paste' design.

I still remember, when I was a kid, thinking how cool it was that the knife gets bloody the more you used it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Samurai Shodowns IV, 0, and 0S.

Between the silly Killer Instinct inspired dail-a-combo system to the washed out palettes for backgrounds and sprites, to the lack of animates on the backgrounds.

I can't bring myself to play any of these incarnations more than 5 minutes at a time.

SSII and III are amazing however, and I can play them for hours.