Neo Games That Haven't Aged Well

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I agree about 95 and 96, those are gems, but I don't know about 94, it's the only King of Fighters that I never feel like playing anymore, and this despite it being my first KoF game back when I was a kid discovering the Neo Geo system. That lack of team edit isn't even the problem, it's the overly stiff controls and merciless AI. KoF95 for some reason just plays so much better imo, and 96 too, plus it has so much charm. :)

true, 94 is stiff and difficult compared to 96. but i think it's still a great game with nice backgrounds and atmosphere. i love the backgrounds in 94 and the music is quite iconic for me.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I would say that Burning Fight and Mutation Nation haven't aged well, but now that I think about it they were always shit.

I'll give you burning fight, but Mutation Nation is still good. Its like a Troma-esque beat em up with the over-the-top gore and mutants.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Anything pre 1996 other than a few exceptions like Samsho 1 and 2 and the KOF's, I'm not a huge fan of.

They remind me of the 80s western aesthetic which for me just looks straight up ugly.

Anything pre 1996 other than a few exceptions like Samsho 1 and 2 and the KOF's, I'm not a huge fan of.

They remind me of the 80s western aesthetic which for me just looks straight up ugly.

AOF for me has always stood up to time. I see a purposely corny Roadhouse/Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man movie type.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Baseball Stars (the first one) hasn't aged very well, imo. Thankfully Baseball Stars 2 is still amazing.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
World Heroes personally. Always came across as generic.

Yeah... the first World Heroes game isn't to good but the second is so much better. It's to bad that in Jet they go rid of death match mode as that is my favorite part of the series.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Yeah... the first World Heroes game isn't to good but the second is so much better. It's to bad that in Jet they go rid of death match mode as that is my favorite part of the series.

To me I think World Heroes Perfect was the peak of the series although that isn't saying much. The balance leaves much to be desired although not always lopsided. The game really needed one more final version to remove infinites and stupid infinite block stun (like Ryokos dashing crouching MP x ad nauseam ) etc.

The game does have a certain charm though. The artwork and music is definitely top notch, and even has a Dio and Raoh inspired character among others. It is a damn shame C.Kidd was never used elsewhere that I know of, he is too cool.

The game does have a certain charm though. The artwork and music is definitely top notch, and even has a Dio and Raoh inspired character among others. It is a damn shame C.Kidd was never used elsewhere that I know of, he is too cool.

Agreed, played several hours of perfect the last few days. Has that "one more run" charm.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Good mentions so far except a few... hmm..

I personally think MOTW hasn't aged well, too many frames and the animation is just... lets not even talk about it. In comparison to say double dragon I think we can safely say DD knows what's going on.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Mutation Nation haven't aged well, but now that I think about it they were always shit.

Mutation Nation is probably the most playable/competent game in the genre for the neo.

Obviously, that's not saying much...

Austin

n00b
For me it's some of the beat 'em ups on the platform that have aged the weakest. It's hard for me to get into the genre on the Neo when having a maximum of two frames of animation per move is the norm. I guess I was just spoiled by the Capcom stuff from back in the day, they are in most cases so slick in comparison, so it's hard for me to go back and appreciate games like Sengoku 1 and 2.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's hard for me to get into the genre on the Neo when having a maximum of two frames of animation per move is the norm.

This actually is a very important assessment. It states that "haven't aged well" is just a curtain, which, once undraped, reveals what's really important to enjoy a game: controls -- not graphics, frame rate -- not graphics; difficulty/length balance -- not graphics etc. etc.

If those parameters, that give the player this godlike feeling of control, power and challenge are set right, then no audio-visual extravaganza is required to make it age like a good vintage. Once set wrong... and the game just turns to vinegar.

Charlie97L

n00b
The first baseball stars is actually good, the season is fun. But yea 2 blows it out of the water and 2020 has the better season mode. And I don't even like baseball

Sometimes you just want a simple, good looking, easy to get into baseball game with a beer, ya know?

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Magicial Lord
Last Resort
Top Hunter
KOF96
BTG
TSS

Basically Alpha Denshi (ADK) and Irem own.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Surprised to see Burning Fight, thats always been one of my fave games but was also the 2nd game i got all those years back so that counts for something. NOICE CHOICE.

Ninja Combat looks dated as hell.

Still think the likes of Sengoku are great, real Neo Geo years before it all became KOF yearly updates.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Magicial Lord
Last Resort
Top Hunter
KOF96
BTG
TSS

You trollin' with that shit. BTG/NTM hasn't aged well? Best arcade golf game ever, man.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Magicial Lord
Last Resort
Top Hunter
KOF96
BTG
TSS

DaFuq?

Top Hunter and Magician Lord are awesome platformers, and Neo Turf Masters/Big Tournament Golf is probably the best arcade golf game out there.