Neo Games That Haven't Aged Well

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
On the whole I actually prefer the mid- and late-era Neo games. I just can't get into games like Magician Lord, Ninja Combat, Sengoku, Burning Fight, etc. And I'm not a fan of KoF until '97.

Ninja Combat and Burning Fight were pretty dreadful when they were released, nevermind 25 years later.

How can you like KoF '97 (which is fucking awesome imo) and not KoF '96??!! :eek_2:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Ninja Combat and Burning Fight were pretty dreadful when they were released, nevermind 25 years later.

How can you like KoF '97 (which is fucking awesome imo) and not KoF '96??!! :eek_2:

I dunno, '97 just seems to pass a smoothness threshold that the previous games didn't. It's easier for me to pull of specials, supers, and combos in '97. I actually prefer '97 over '98 since it's more accessible. I have a really hard time with '98.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I actually prefer '97 over '98 since it's more accessible. I have a really hard time with '98.

i think i know what you mean but if you could elaborate more. i always said 97 controls the smoothest out of the whole series. when playing with a stick i can't tell much of a difference between 97 ans 98, but i really noticed when playing with a pad how smooth and easily moves could be pulled off.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I would say that Burning Fight and Mutation Nation haven't aged well, but now that I think about it they were always shit.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
C'mon guys what's with the hate on Legend of Success Joe? I played it recently and was blown away by its sense of realism, pretty top notch gaming experience and an honest one at that. He does actually succeed so the title delivers.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...but now that I think about it they were always shit.

I know that category, too. Always despised Riding Hero, because it was no scaler, yet pretended to be. Slip-ups can't age well or bad since they're born retarded.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I know that category, too. Always despised Riding Hero, because it was no scaler, yet pretended to be. Slip-ups can't age well or bad since they're born retarded.

I like Riding Hero better with an analog pad.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
i think i know what you mean but if you could elaborate more. i always said 97 controls the smoothest out of the whole series. when playing with a stick i can't tell much of a difference between 97 ans 98, but i really noticed when playing with a pad how smooth and easily moves could be pulled off.

I think there are multiple things that contribute to the smoothness. One is it's easier to cancel moves. So, for example, the classic jumping kick, crouching poke, fireball, dragon punch combo. For some reason it gets way easier to pull this type of stuff off in '97. Another is how it seems easier to get into a groove. Running, hopping, etc. commands just seem a lot more responsive. I've never felt as comfortable with SNK fighters as with Third Strike. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I always get that "it's on the tip of my tongue" type of a feeling with these games. With '97, XI, and XII in particular, I feel the closest to "getting it".

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I actually prefer '97 over '98 since it's more accessible. I have a really hard time with '98.

Huh, I'd say the same for me but with '96 over '95... I've never really been a fan of '95.

geodeath

n00b
Playing a few games yesterday i stumbled across a few clunkier than i remember games, but i think this is part of the deal. I still remember top hunter being easier to play!

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I've always thought the plane changing in all the Fatal fury games was pretty off putting but that's probably because I'm a Garou baby.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Mutation Nation is still very playable. Controls feel good and the Music rocks.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
yeah, man. and 95. 94 was also pretty sweet.

I agree about 95 and 96, those are gems, but I don't know about 94, it's the only King of Fighters that I never feel like playing anymore, and this despite it being my first KoF game back when I was a kid discovering the Neo Geo system. That lack of team edit isn't even the problem, it's the overly stiff controls and merciless AI. KoF95 for some reason just plays so much better imo, and 96 too, plus it has so much charm. :)

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I would say that Burning Fight and Mutation Nation haven't aged well, but now that I think about it they were always shit.

Was about to say the same but for Fatal Fury 1... played it recently and it was as bad as I remember the 1st time I played it... (unfortunately FF1 wasn't on arcades here and I played FF2 before plaiyng the 1st one lol).

Overall, I can't recall of any title that has aged bad...