Neo Games That Haven't Aged Well

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
SS3 is indeed awesome. There's been a pretty big increase in love for SSIII over the years here. SS2 and SSIV used to be the only two games in the series that fans could agree on. What changed?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
SS2 and SSIV used to be the only two games in the series that fans could agree on. What changed?

true. i think people started to see the flaws of ss4 over the years and gave ss3 a second chance. ss3 was disliked by fans because some dismissed it for being different to ss2,. others disliked it for removing characters and the small roster. and others for the quick deaths and fast depleting lifebar.

but once people went back to ss3, they noticed that the game has some of the best move sets in the series for a lot of the characters. and an amazing ai. not a lot of fighters keep me on the edge like ss3 does.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
LMBO, I done got served, I'm outtie-5000

edit: for all the noobs out there, this post was originally by wasabi, not feelgood

ok - these 3 statements are interesting - the last one I've never ehard before, but I'll discuss it.

It's too hard
+
and the fights are too short
=
someone isn't very good at the game.

Let me admit, I still get my ass handed to me by the AI. I don't complain though. The computer takes the same damage that it gives. It doesn't do "crazy things" like dragon punches sans recovery time. It's just smart. And if you can't appreciate what is the smartest AI on the neo geo, then I would say you have a personal issue.

I really like what Takumaji said - play against someone who is good and you'll learn tricks that open the game like a treasure chest. Indeed that is true - and it was true for me. Although I loved the game from the start, I had the priviledge of playing it at Chinatown fair back in 1995~1996 all the time against the best FOB (term used endearingly) ninjas chinatown had to offer. And I learned to play the game well. The controls were, and are, excellent, even to this day. Compared to KoF 95 which had stiffer controls and an insane normal difficulty, SSIII was a breeze.

And you can't complain about control in SSIII. Play a 2 player game and have your friend come at you with a combo - what can you do in 3 that you can't do in IV? Counter out of the combo. Yeah, if your blocking in IV, you're just going to have to wait a while. If you get hit after having your combo blocked, I guess you fell asleep.

SSIII was also the last game to have unique commands for each DM. I don't know how anyone could appreciate the dumbing down of the controls in SSIV, but I guess some people also like paint by numbers and the feeling of victory after taking 3rd grade math tests, so no big deal. back, forward, down +AB. Combine that with the Killer Instinct dail-a-combo CD,A,A,B,B,C,C,A,B,C,C,C,C,C and you've got gameplay gold.... or at least the biggest piece of gilded cack for 1996. This isn't about IV, but I do see that a lot of people who dislike III, love IV. The only thing I like about IV is Kazuki. His brother, Cheezetsu Cheezama, proves without a doubt how unbalanced the game was. Of course, anyone that that tried to play as Amakusa in SSIII would see an imbalance there, but at least Amakusa could use cheap tactics to score a win. Sadly, SSIV Gaira cannot do shit against a good Sogetsu player.

So anyhow, on to that point about the lack of interesting characters... SSIV had 1 new character that was interesting - Kazuki. They killed the most interesting parts of Basara, made Jubei 30 pounds overweight, turned Tam Tam into a pervert, and still neglected us Earthquake and Gen-An, who I much prefered over Tam Tam... Charlotte, I loved her variable DM, but I felt she just wasn't the same as from II, and it doesn't feel right playing as her. Right, that said, I don't really think IV is successor to I and II that people were looking for after III proved so different. But people like it for whatever reason. Hey, I like Blazing Star more than Pulstar, and some purists would tell me that Pulstar is better. It's all taste.

Right now, my only gripe with SSIII is that there are decapitations in the game, and I can't figure out how to unlock them through the debug dips. Gawd... I'd love to run this game through a decompiler and figure out how to get that shit to show up in gameplay.

edit: I don't drink at work, but I type like I do.

in short, I am a poser, and wasabi made liking SS3 cool

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The only thing lonesuckage has ever mentioned other than mainstream stuff everyone has played, it's Kabuki Quantum Fighter, gotta give it to him, game was awesome, good pick, decent taste in video games for the most part, it was worth putting up with his wannabe trendsetter douche ways back then 'cause at least he used to play good games.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Reading old posts from 2003 that have relevance in this thread almost 15 years later is amazing.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Playing old games from the 90's that have relevance in this thread almost a quarter of a century later is amazing, too, since nerdism became socially acceptable. Being hip hasn't aged well, though.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I still like Ghost Pilots and Ninja Combat...................even in 2017

Ramad

I can't go back to most of the early Neo games. Either the gameplay is clunky, or overly difficult, or simply boring.

Alpha Mission 2
Andro Dunos
Art of Fighting
Baseball Stars
Burning Fight
Eight Man
Ghost Pilots
Legend of Success Joe
Magician Lord
Ninja Combat
Puzzled
Robo Army
Sengoku
Super Sidekicks
The Super Spy
Top Players Golf
World Heroes

I can't get into any of these games.

Honestly, I don't think that SNK started putting out really quality content until 93-94. Once games like Samurai Shodown, and Windjammers, and Spinmaster came out, that's when the Neo started to get exciting, and I wanted one.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I can't go back to most of the early Neo games. Either the gameplay is clunky, or overly difficult, or simply boring.

Alpha Mission 2
Andro Dunos
Art of Fighting
Baseball Stars
Burning Fight
Eight Man
Ghost Pilots
Legend of Success Joe
Magician Lord
Ninja Combat
Puzzled
Robo Army
Sengoku
Super Sidekicks
The Super Spy
Top Players Golf
World Heroes

Honestly, I don't think that SNK started putting out really quality content until 93-94. Once games like Samurai Shodown, and Windjammers, and Spinmaster came out, that's when the Neo started to get exciting, and I wanted one.

I'm the opposite - the early releases are my favorite ones. There's a lot of character in those games - they really set the system apart from the others of the time.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I'm the opposite - the early releases are my favorite ones. There's a lot of character in those games - they really set the system apart from the others of the time.

+1
There's not really any neo titles that I dislike, but there's something special about the early to mid-90's era releases that just seem to have that trademark SNK style and presentation that made their games stand out from the rest. The games from that era in SNK's history have a level of attention to detail in aspects such as background art, world building materials, and music that never cease to amaze me.

Ramad

Most of those games felt like something that could be easily done on the Super Nintendo or Genesis, or even the TG-16. Art of Fighting was the only game from that era that felt like I was playing something that I just wouldn't be able to get from the other 16-bit consoles, but even then the control was so unforgiving that I wasn't a fan for anything other than the graphics.

And character? In Success Joe or Andros Dunos? Nah son...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Most of those games felt like something that could be easily done on the Super Nintendo or Genesis, or even the TG-16. Art of Fighting was the only game from that era that felt like I was playing something that I just wouldn't be able to get from the other 16-bit consoles, but even then the control was so unforgiving that I wasn't a fan for anything other than the graphics.

And character? In Success Joe or Andros Dunos? Nah son...

That's your opinion and that's awesome.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Alpha Mission 2
Andro Dunos
Art of Fighting
Baseball Stars
Burning Fight
Eight Man
Ghost Pilots
Legend of Success Joe
Magician Lord
Ninja Combat
Puzzled
Robo Army
Sengoku
Super Sidekicks
The Super Spy
Top Players Golf
World Heroes

I'd agree to some games in that list, maybe 2 or 3, defo LoSJ. I understand where you're coming from though, a lot of casuals share the same opinion about the older games.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
BlackaneseNiNjA said:
SS3 is indeed awesome. There's been a pretty big increase in love for SSIII over the years here.

SSIII is probably my favorite game in the series. This is possibly due to the fact that for the longest time, this was the only SS I had for my MVS, and I used to play it all the time. I loved the fighting system. I never understood why it got so much hate back in the day. I'd say this mirrors my story with Street Fighter III: New Generation, but once 3rd Strike came out, SF community never looked back. New Generation is, to this day, my absolute favorite in the SF line-up. I have nothing against 2nd Impact, and I do love 3rd Strike as well, but I always come back to NG. Always will.

As for ageing Neo Games, it's like wyo said. There's an implication there of the games being good at one point. Looking at Legend of Success Joe I can't say it has aged poorly, because it looks fine. To me, it was never particularly fun to play. Riding Hero is an odd one as well. To me it wasn't fun at all. I tried these a couple of times, but ultimately decided they weren't worth my arcade money, since there were better games around. That doesn't mean they aged poorly, though. In general, Neo games still have that SNK quality about them.

The same goes for CPS. Ask me which games haven't aged well, and I couldn't tell you, though I could probably name two or three titles from the CPS line-up I'm not crazy about, and they all look fine, even today.

sir arthur

War Room Troll
I still like Ghost Pilots and Ninja Combat...................even in 2017

Ouch man! GP is soooooooooo slow... Even Tiger Heli looks like top speed next to GP

Otherwise I love SSK1. Far more playable than any other SSK game

Last edited: