Neo Games That Haven't Aged Well

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
I am currently playing the original Fatal Fury and the gameplay is a lot clunkier then I remember. Sure is was a great game back in the day, and it still is now, but it doesn't seem to have aged very well.

Are there any games that you all have played that haven't seem to have aged very well?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Maybe it's the emulator you're playing on?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
On the whole I actually prefer the mid- and late-era Neo games. I just can't get into games like Magician Lord, Ninja Combat, Sengoku, Burning Fight, etc. And I'm not a fan of KoF until '97.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I am currently playing the original Fatal Fury and the gameplay is a lot clunkier then I remember. Sure is was a great game back in the day, and it still is now, but it doesn't seem to have aged very well.

Are there any games that you all have played that haven't seem to have aged very well?

That just means you need to get gud. The game plays fine.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
On the whole I actually prefer the mid- and late-era Neo games. I just can't get into games like Magician Lord, Ninja Combat, Sengoku, Burning Fight, etc. And I'm not a fan of KoF until '97.

I somewhat feel the same way, but there were some early-era Neo games I absolutely loved. League Bowling being one of them. It's a short and simple game, but I still love it.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member

Fatal Fury 1 is difficult. You can't approach it like all the others, and the moves are pretty difficult to pull off. Blackaneseninja had a thread about it before with some tips.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
King of Monsters and Baseball Stars. The first ones.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
besides the first art of fighting, which i can't play to save my life, i'm completely fine with all the early neo games. especially the first fatal fury. never had a problem with the controls of fatal fury. still plays fine to this day, and it's still lots of fun with great visuals and atmosphere.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm the opposite of Bogard. I think the AOF games are still very playable and look good and Fatal Fury 1 and 2 are way too slow and unplayable. Fatal Fury Special and 3 are a different story.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The first baseball stars is actually good, the season is fun. But yea 2 blows it out of the water and 2020 has the better season mode. And I don't even like baseball

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I'm the opposite of Bogard. I think the AOF games are still very playable and look good and Fatal Fury 1 and 2 are way too slow and unplayable. Fatal Fury Special and 3 are a different story.

the complete opposite :keke:. art of fighting 2 is actually one of my favourite neo games. it's just the first game that makes me feel like i might as well play with my elbows.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Ouch, KOF 96 is my jam.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
The Super Spy didn't age well. Also cyber lip didn't.

Last edited:

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
In terms of fighting games on the Neo for me personally not until Fatal Fury Special where they good.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
FFS to me is the greatest game on the Neo and it looks amazing still, I dunno about the portraits though, lol. Wobba wobba! FF2 was ok though. IMHO SNK didn't make great fighters until Samsho, then FF2 and so on. 1992 was the year, everything started to blossom.

I like the old looking games, so to me most of the Neo is aging well, like Karnov's, game is so awesome, some background characters look and out of proportion in relation to the main characters sprites. In a way some people whine about KOF2k1 but there are games before it with plenty of lame background characters, for example the Breaker's series, some of that sprite technic on the BG characters is awful. The same could be said about the look of some of the stages although overall the game is amazing! So is hard to say what has aged well and what hasn't, it really depends on how you look at it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Legend of Success Joe

:keke:

I think "did not age well" implies it seemed good back in the day ;)

I can't think of any game I thought was awesome back then that I don't like now.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
As much as I like the game I would half to say Sengoku. I remember when it was at my arcade & playing as a kid and I loved it. But after getting it 15 years later in '06 I just couldn't believe how it had aged. I never could play this game it was just a quarter muncher, even now with better gaming skills it's ball breaking hard. Them rose tinted glasses came off in '06 when I finally got it.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I can't think of any game I thought was awesome back then that I don't like now.

This 100%. I wouldn't call it rose tinted nostalgia or anything. We all have different tastes when it comes to gameplay, but imho there's always something new to learn/perfect, higher scores to strive for, or character endings to see.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Ninja Combat,seemed cool to me then in the 90's but not now.Heck id rather play ninja commando over it.