Colossal piece of shit Neil Gorsuch confirmed to SC - fuck you ki_atsushi

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Sessions is already rolling back police violence oversight. You think Gorsuch is gonna stand up to that shrunken voodoo head dixiecrat?

Lolwut your fucking self

Edit: how about that awesome ruling where he supported a company firing an employee for abandoning his broken down trucker rig because he was freezing? Did you like that?

How about the deal in his law school class where he claimed that women lawyers getting sweet lawyer jobs all get knocked up on purpose to abuse the firm for maternity perks?

Drink that kool-aid lithy, the punch tastes nice

Edit2: ok question, if Gorsuch is ok, what is bad in your opinion?

I was lolwut-ing your "loss of police violence and inequality", poor phrasing of your bullet point list. The whole list are such broad categories anyway that you will have to forgive my resistance that everything in all of those categories is going to disappear overnight. It won't.

The trucker decision based on my limited reading, I would tend to side with, he was insubordinate. Life sucks, get a new job and move on.

The other case I am not familiar with yet, will have to look it up later.

Worse than ok would be a fiscally liberal and socially conservative nominee I guess. For Gorsuch, I like some of what I read and don't like some others. I don't think we will be returning to the dark ages because of him, I actually think it was one of the better things Trump has done overall and was kind of a dumb hill for the Democrats to die on.

Of course that is just the new thing. Democrat and Trump did it? Opposed. Republican and Obama did it? Opposed. It is all so stupid.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I was lolwut-ing your "loss of police violence and inequality", poor phrasing of your bullet point list. The whole list are such broad categories anyway that you will have to forgive my resistance that everything in all of those categories is going to disappear overnight. It won't.

The trucker decision based on my limited reading, I would tend to side with, he was insubordinate. Life sucks, get a new job and move on.

The other case I am not familiar with yet, will have to look it up later.

Worse than ok would be a fiscally liberal and socially conservative nominee I guess. For Gorsuch, I like some of what I read and don't like some others. I don't think we will be returning to the dark ages because of him, I actually think it was one of the better things Trump has done overall and was kind of a dumb hill for the Democrats to die on.

Of course that is just the new thing. Democrat and Trump did it? Opposed. Republican and Obama did it? Opposed. It is all so stupid.

I don't think it's good for you to make a conclusion on the Trucker case without reading more about it.

The overall issue I have with this is that we saw the legislative branch refuse their duty to America, under the constitution, to swear in Obama's shitty choice, in order to let the republican nominate a shittier choice.

Just to continue the 5 plus decades of republican control over the SCOTUS,

where historically, Scalia would decide based on who had more money coming his way.

lithy

20 Year Member
Look deeper into the trucker case. I have nothing else to say to you about this thread.

Read his entire plain text dissent. Obviously without looking into every case cited in his defense, I still find his argument compelling enough to be in agreement with it. If there is something specific in his text that you find objectionable I'd like to know wha tit is.

I will read the majority opinion tomorrow, since it is nearly 4 times as long, it is late, and I am lazy.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
As for Gorsuch... I don't know. I can't get too angry about him. Yeah, there have been a couple of bad rulings, he's said and done some questionable things, and it's not "his" seat, etc.

At the same time he's probably the best nominee we could have ever hoped for from Trump. He seems like he might be an upgrade from Scalia.

I'm worried about who will take Breyer's seat, or Kennedy's, or Ginsburg's.

Because the filibuster is dead and Trump's hasn't made any promises about his next nominees.

Maybe Jared could do that, too? And Ivanka! Wouldn't it be cute to have a married couple on the court?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
As for Gorsuch... I don't know. I can't get too angry about him. Yeah, there have been a couple of bad rulings, he's said and done some questionable things, and it's not "his" seat, etc.

At the same time he's probably the best nominee we could have ever hoped for from Trump. He seems like he might be an upgrade from Scalia.

https://www.law.com/nationallawjournal/2020/06/15/no-contest-gorsuch-leads-scotus-ruling-that-protects-lgbt-employees-against-firing/?slreturn=20200515104343

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-06-15/supreme-court-rejects-trumps-challenge-to-california-sanctuary-law?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

So basically, the Supreme Court’s rulings on LGBT firings and federal enforcement in sanctuary cities shows that the judges aren’t simply pressing for social conservative interests, but are independent? Idk. It’s a weird moment in American history where I think the last thing the GOP needs is a spotlight on them for this, on top of Trump’s foibles. So now they rules in a manner that will avoid further negative attention. Like China backing down on HK temporarily. They’ll issue their favored ruling later when things are stable and the people are opiated.

lithy

20 Year Member
I thought about bumping this again but I really didn't have anything useful to add so I'm glad SML did. That tweet is great.

I mean, Stevens was a Ford appointee and Roberts was Ws, so the idea that the president is a perfect indicator of their service on the bench doesn't even take a lot of looking backwards to realize you shouldn't be putting all your eggs in that basket.

FDRs plan was much more promising.

Marek

Banned

Y'all Quaeda caved to gay marriage and now this, so I guess theyve given up on gay stuff being a hill to die on. This is a good thing, of course, but it reeks of a public relations stunt.

Perhaps I'm being unreasonably cynical, but it does make me concerned as to what exactly that hill to die on issue will be...

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Y'all Quaeda caved to gay marriage and now this, so I guess theyve given up on gay stuff being a hill to die on. This is a good thing, of course, but it reeks of a public relations stunt.

Perhaps I'm being unreasonably cynical, but it does make me concerned as to what exactly that hill to die on issue will be...2

Abortion?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I wonder if there would be war if Roe v. Wade ever gets overturned.

where was the war for capital punishment? Or is executing "criminals" (only in quotes because we have executed many innocent people, while also executing real criminals) too deeply ingrained in our programming for us to truly revolt over?