MVS-U4 Candy Cab restoration!

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I think so, but I'm not great with names.

I'm driving down to LA today, and will be getting this stupid elusive monitor tomorrow morning.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Thanks to Arcade Game I've got a monitor in the MVS-U4, finally. Needs some convergence and purity work, but having the correct-sized tube makes all the difference. I can fix and sell that wells-gardner finally to make up the cost of getting this one.

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Looking good! What kind of monitor and what size did you end up getting?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Looking good! What kind of monitor and what size did you end up getting?

I don't remember the model, it's some Nanao 23". It is the original frame for this monitor, but the chassis is a tiny bit older as the controls are on the board and not remote. Still, good tube with good chassis.

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
I think so, but I'm not great with names.

I'm driving down to LA today, and will be getting this stupid elusive monitor tomorrow morning.

Yeah I think I have met him.

Anyways that candy cab looks great. Love seeing something so neglected come back strong.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Yeah for sure, the remaining tasks are:

* Sand and re-paint monitor bezel metal
* Have tinted monitor glass cut
* Get CPO printed and installed
* Get sticker set for blue stripes, decals, etc.
* Order buttons, 2 x LS32s
* Get MV4 or MV4F boardset (I only have my old MV2 right now)
* Get MVS memory card / headphone jack interface (it's missing...)
* Fix metal trim on bottom bar
* Install locks
* Marquee light (bulb and starter)
* Get some mini-marquees

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I can still help you with the CPO file if you want. I also have a couple Memory Card setups complete with harness and PCB, they're kinda buried though, I'd have to dig but just saying I have them if you're not in a rush to get them later down the line.
MVU4013copy.jpg

I took the sticker strips off and never looked back.
MVU4006.jpg

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
Very nice its coming along very well. I always love seeing the restoration of these cabs.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent

Anyways that candy cab looks great. Love seeing something so neglected come back strong.

Hell if he's in Napa I might have met him too, bought a handful of parts and carts for my 4 slot from a guy in Napa who likes to restore arcade cabinets, this would have been maybe 4 years ago, at the time he was trying to get a dedicated Smash TV cab

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
It's a very well done restauration job. What chassis are you using on that thing?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
The chassis looks like a Nanao MS-8.

I ordered sticks, buttons, and the control panel overlay. Next up will be the glass.

J-P

NEST Puppet
Impressive transformation indeed. That thing went from rusty piece of junk to looking pretty smart, will be awesome to see this finished.

Salvio007

Mr. Big's Thug
Great job dude. How much did that empty cab cost ya to begin with?
Totally worth all that trouble, makes it more valuable :)

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Is his name John by any chance?

8bitnintendo is a guy named Kris. Really cool kat. He sold me an empty painted over KI cab in November. You'd know him if you saw him since he has a Doc Holiday mustache. When I saw him last, he said he was looking for a Neo Geo mini. He raids warehouses as a side job. His Instagram is here: https://www.instagram.com/napa_valley_pinball/

Awesome job with the restore!

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Damn Moffitt, I had no idea! The cab is looking great. The MV-U4 brings back so many good memories. Definitely a warm-fuzzy cab.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The control panel makes a world of difference:
image_uploaded_from_ios197bc.jpg

Great Job bro, looks great. I always thought about fully restoring mine but just gave it good cleaning instead.

Where is the bezel?

Last edited:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
The screen glass is just gone, that'll have to be cut.

You're gonna want to ask someone who already has the screen glass for the measurements, nothing would suck more than going to the trouble of getting it cut only to find out you were off by a few centimeters, hell they might even have the measurements on Arcade Otaku's wiki