HELP! Bank Error and ROM Cartridge error

I have two different games giving me weird issues. They work fine in my friends 1 slot, I have a 4 slot.

I have a samuari shodown 4 that gives me a bank error message and a metal slug x that gives me "this rom cartridge is for use with original snk boards only." It doesn't matter what slot I put them into, the errors persist.

They are legit boards from what I can tell, all normal chips, no window'd chips.

Any help would be great as I need these working.

Anyone? Would this likely be an issue with the MVS or the cartridges? I need a starting point.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Are the cart edges clean? Did you try clearing the backup RAM?

Are the cart edges clean? Did you try clearing the backup RAM?

I used rubbing alcohol, I don't have any contact cleaner. I was going to try with a rubber eraser today.

Why would they work in another system and none of my slots?

I think I cleared it right, flipped switches, left it for a few minutes? I also did the A+B+C thing.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If the carts work fine in the 1 slot then the cause is your 4 slot or something else other than the carts.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Have you checked voltage? I've heard of weird 4 slot issues when there isn't enough power to it.

Yes sir, ~5.1 with cartridges.

Now I measured this at the PS. I will measure at the cartridge slot too.

Last edited:
Are you comparing them to MVS scans, or winging it? Pics would help.

To some extent winging it I guess, but I will compare them to MVS scans in a bit. Doesn't explain why the work in another unit, but worth doing.

Edit:
SS4 - completely legit based on mvs scans
Metal Slug X - completely legit too

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
What are your other carts? Are you plugging those in with the problem carts, or just the problem carts individually?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I am trying to recall from memory .. I believe this may be a battery issue... is your battery dead on your 4 slot?
BB

I am trying to recall from memory .. I believe this may be a battery issue... is your battery dead on your 4 slot?
BB

How can I tell? I assume setting the calendar and shutting it off? I can sure as hell check.

If anyone else has an idea, let me know.

BB

I checked the clock and found if I set it the values remained through power off. I also cleaned the slot and cartridge with contact cleaner. I'm at my wit's end here...It doesn't make sense, both games work fine in another neo Geo:((

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Check the dip switches and make sure none are turned on. (7 on=free play which is fine)
BB

Check the dip switches and make sure none are turned on. (7 on=free play which is fine)
BB

All are up and show off in test.
Even odder is the games both worked when I first got them. Then I went to play them and they didn't

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
What bios chip do you have inserted? Swap the bios chips if you have access to another. If you are using a uni-bios,disregard.
BB

What bios chip do you have inserted? Swap the bios chips if you have access to another. If you are using a uni-bios,disregard.
BB

Whatever it came with so I imagine stock? I don't have a 1024 EPROM. Is the bios a windowed prom? I could erase and reprogram it if it is.

Ok, so I used the built in rom checking function and heres the results:
SS:
Program rom: Ok
Every bank 0-3: No Good

Metal Slug X:
Program + Bank 0: OK
Bank 1-3: NG

Question becomes, is this a hardware issue or a cartridge issue.

Attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20170409_120517.jpg
    IMG_20170409_120517.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20170409_122443_01.jpg
    IMG_20170409_122443_01.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
is there a chip that controls the bank switching on the neo geo?

Used the diag bios and all tests passed. If that helps any.

Last edited:
Here is a final check list of all I've done:
* Flashed to Unibios and checked the roms, see above pictures
* Cleaned the carts and edge connectors real well (contact cleaner)
* Cleaned the board to board connectors
* Verified voltage @ the harness and PS
* Verified cartridges worked on another Neo Geo.
* Checked internal battery
* Cleared work ram.

I'm waiting on replacement cartridges to test those. In the mean time, does ANYONE have any ideas? thank you.