I made a new thing. (new fightstick coming out!)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
the more I read the more I understand why the buttons are placed like they are and what they do ^^

Not my cup of tea, but the stick looks great, metal as a base is the best IMO (sturdy and cool), the powder coating should feel right and the price is really fair. Best of luck to you with this project!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
the more I read the more I understand why the buttons are placed like they are and what they do ^^

Not my cup of tea, but the stick looks great, metal as a base is the best IMO (sturdy and cool), the powder coating should feel right and the price is really fair. Best of luck to you with this project!

I agree, The base of every stick should be metal. Plastic and Wood are good options but it just doesn't compare to a quality heavy metal stick.:buttrock:

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

thats the thing with the buttons. its function over form. i did some 'battle testing' and research with this format. Tons of positive feedback on the layout. Especially having the tourney lockout on board so a slip of the hand wont cause you any trouble.

People love the look of a clean panel, but the unfortunate part is that the extra buttons become unwieldy to use with rear mounted buttons. with the amount of space on the top and bottom, its a comfortable reach to use without interrupting gameplay and no fumbling in the back to reach for a feature you might need. It's not for everyone. But it's a different take on the layout of a large fightstick and i'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

Production model changes of note that you don't see on the proto pics i posted-

1) 2 of those top buttons will end up being dropped. the 3 button ps4 touch layout does not perform the way i wanted and i'll move it down to a 1 button + stick position emulation that is stock on the brook. This will drop that top array line to 6 buttons.

2) adding a 3 way selector switch to choose crosspad, left stick, or right stick.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
lol, BUTTONS OMG which one should I press tonight?!

You don't really need all those buttons, at most 3, the rest can be on the top side as they are rarely used. It won't take away from gameplay, you're not playing anything when you need them, lol.

Using a brook your best best is to use L1 R1 and buttons 3 and 6 respectively as those 2 buttons are used more frequently for menu scrolling in some games. L2 and R2 are rarely used for menus or anything, maybe just GGXRD and the weird lobbies it comes with.

L3 and R3, please, that's a waste.

Start and Select should be on top along with Home buttons even though select/back/options is barely ever used. Touchpad button, just one, on the side, it's barely needed.

With all that space on that metal case I'd make it 6 buttons and one start button on the side like the horis, then at top you can set a small array of the buttons like in the pic for the most needed uses.
481-00.jpg

Best template for you to se would be the Sega Virtua Stick High Grade.
5193e134-f6dc-4a28-a80b-17d4791faac7.jpg

Even though it has more buttons than needed it still maintains a decent look and practicality without looking cumbersome.

A little research goes a long way when making sticks.

12mm-Illuminated-Latching-Push-Button-Chuy%E1%BB%83n.jpg

You might benefit from these buttons, less is more. Also 8 buttons...meh.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I appreciate your candor. i knew you couldn't wait to throw your opinion in on something that i was doing.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It's not so much that you're doing it but the way you're doing it. I would have done the same whether it was you or anyone else, you should know this by now.

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
It's not so much that you're doing it but the way you're doing it. I would have done the same whether it was you or anyone else, you should know this by now.

Lol you're such a douchebag it's really more impressive than anything else

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
right back at you.

whether or not i knew you would do this like this does not make it not a shitty thing to do.
What do you mean shitty? It's just an opinion, or does it have to be all "cumbaya you're the man" or something? Dude, it's a project, shouldn't constructive criticism count for something? It's not like I'm saying it sucks, I just don't like it but that's a matter of preference, there's potential there though, which is why I showed you some alternatives that you could work on. Jasen was here showing a stick not long ago, I also shared some input, he reacted just like you did and I get it, there's history with both of you, but aside all of that, an opinion is just that, this is a forum and your gonna run into people who don't agree with you.

Edit: The case is tremendous though, metal cases rock, same thing I told Jasen, having that access you have a tremendous opportunity to make something great. In Jasen's case, he's even more intricate about it, he has some real nifty ideas like CP swap out and what have you. I'm serious, in all honesty the best button layout will always be SEGA, just like you did, but without the last 2 buttons. Leave a one 24mm button and do minis for a few more buttons, it would look good.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
What do you mean shitty? It's just an opinion, or does it have to be all "cumbaya you're the man or something?" Dude, it's a project, shouldn't constructive criticism count for something? It's not like I'm saying it sucks, I just don't like it but that's a matter of preference, there's potential there though, which is why I showed you some alternatives that you could work on. Jasen was here showing a stick not long ago, I also shared some input, he reacted just like you did and I get it, there's history with both of you, but aside all of that, an opinion is just that, this is a forum and your gonna run into people who don't agree with you.

im not saying cumbaya or anything. the issue is you came here specifically to tear my project down. you have no interest in helping me or providing constructive criticism. you have no idea how much research went into this or how much testing or how many people actually really like the concept. you dont like me. thats no secret- you would never buy anything from me. so why the vested interest in helping me now?

im bringing something a little different with this item. i have no interest in copying another design like you suggested. you made a hard critique on something you have zero interest in seeing succeed. then you followed it up with a 'this is how i roll' sort of line. that's whats known in most circles as 'a shitty thing to do'.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I beg to differ. You're at a prototype stage, I'm showing you some ideas, yes there's some humor in it 'cause dude; That's just too many buttons! I dunno what to tell you. I would like you to make something awesome and you can, you have the case, there's really good functionality with the brook and the switches, you got compatibility covered, why let a button layout hold you back? Damn, it's just an opinion, hard critique...I disagree, no cheese lines man. Did you know about the mini buttons? They are actually really nice, I don't get it man, you're working on a project, I'm giving you some feedback.

Edit: Why? I used to build sticks, just wood cases, nothing out of control, but one thing I did work a lot in trying to understand was button layouts, I have a plethora of them, know the measurements that work best for my liking and all that riff raff, it just came along the way as I wa building sticks. SRK has a good scene for that, people share tips, knowledge, all that stuff, I thought I did just that. The humor part, come on, just don't be so sensitive, sorry to have bothered you so much.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I'm past proto stage man. It wouldn't have been announced yet if that's where I was.

But again- you really don't know what's gone into this stick you have zero interest in seeing succeed.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OK, whatever man.

Edit: I find it weird that you are showing the pic of the stick and later down the way you say that it's going to end up different, with less buttons, so why would I think that this is a done deal? That production already began like you seem to be explaining now. It doesn't really say in any of your posts whether you're already in production or anything, to me it looks like a project in the works, you explained about the costs of changing things and what have you, so I understood it as a WIP.

I already explained my intention, you can believe it, or not, we're on 2 total different pages. Like I said, I'm sorry to have bothered you so much.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
OK, whatever man.

Edit: I find it weird that you are showing the pic of the stick and later down the way you say that it's going to end up different, with less buttons, so why would I think that this is a done deal? That production already began like you seem to be explaining now. It doesn't really say in any of your posts whether you're already in production or anything, to me it looks like a project in the works, you explained about the costs of changing things and what have you, so I understood it as a WIP.

I already explained my intention, you can believe it, or not, we're on 2 total different pages. Like I said, I'm sorry to have bothered you so much.

You ended it, but could not leave it. I needed a block of text... Have a great crusade man.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
'cause I went back to re-read the thread, make sure I didn't misread something or other, give you the benefit of the doubt for reacting the way you have but I couldn't find anything so it seemed weird, I just tried to explain, given you think I'm being shitty and all. BTW, that's no wall of text, lol.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Ok player. Thanks for fully poisoning my thread .

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
an opinion poisoned your thread...OK man, whatever you say, done here.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't see what the big deal is with the buttons being there. They look pronounced because they are all white sitting on a black case. If they were black you wouldn't notice as much plus those buttons are out of the way. It's really just a cosmetic thing. The 8 button layout isn't a big deal since you could always plug the last two buttons if you like a 6 button layout. I guess no matter what you do, you could never make everyone happy.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
No one post anything of worth until post 51 so this whole page can be skipped. :(

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I don't see what the big deal is with the buttons being there. They look pronounced because they are all white sitting on a black case. If they were black you wouldn't notice as much plus those buttons are out of the way. It's really just a cosmetic thing. The 8 button layout isn't a big deal since you could always plug the last two buttons if you like a 6 button layout. I guess no matter what you do, you could never make everyone happy.

A huge reason for 8b is the full neo compatibility (via the onboard db15). 4 across is the only way to go. 7b doesn't work as that leaves 8b fans out. I never expected to make everyone happy. But the fgc guys I did tons of research with helped me come to the utilitarian layout I used. Yes it looks pronounced because of the white- but the intital builds are done in the blue and white windy livery. Other color options will be much less noticeable.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
A huge reason for 8b is the full neo compatibility (via the onboard db15). 4 across is the only way to go. 7b doesn't work as that leaves 8b fans out. I never expected to make everyone happy. But the fgc guys I did tons of research with helped me come to the utilitarian layout I used. Yes it looks pronounced because of the white- but the intital builds are done in the blue and white windy livery. Other color options will be much less noticeable.

Dude, I like your stick. I think it looks great plus I don't mind the 8 buttons either. All the ps3 and 360 Sticks I've owned in the past except the VSHG were all 8 buttons and like you said, for NEO players, you need the 4 button layout.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Does it support Jaguar?

For rilz though, any chance of a pure 4-button Neo layout?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Thank you Chris for the explanations on how this design came to be.
Now that I get it, I concur that from just a functionality standpoint and if you want one stick for all your gaming, this certainly seems the way to go.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I like the buttons at the top and out of the way. I can't stand sticks that have the buttons on the sides or the front.