Those bonus rounds in-between stages of Metal Black

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
are the equivalent of writing a high school paper with a larger-than-normal font and double spaced to make it seem like it has more substance than it does.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
IMHO Metal Black is rather meh, it plays well but it looks so uggh, I just loose interest quickly for a long while after a few tries, I'm sure I'm alone on this 'cause people seem to jump on them when they're up for sale. I have yet to play it in anything other than emulation, maybe the Saturn port is better? I'm just not sold on it yet.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
If you want to try it outside mame, the cheapest way is probably the Taito Legends 2 disc.

About the bonus stages: The shift in weapons is what seems the most out of place. Where are the lock-on missiles during the rest of the game? No first person laser duel? (actually that would be silly)

Also see the chase-cam stage in Gradius III, which serves even less of a purpose.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Watched a longplay of this. Such a depressing game. Can't pinpoint why, maybe someone good with words can. Still a great game. Way better than Gun Frontier at least.

edit: game has dark colors, slow music and a sad ending. that's why.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I just loose interest quickly for a long while after a few tries, I'm sure I'm alone on this 'cause people seem to jump on them when they're up for sale.

What makes you think the people that jump on them actually play the game?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Just giving them the benefit of the doubt...but yeah, you're prolly right.