Stupid Question about PCBs and Magnets

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Hey guys,

I found a box that's the perfect size for my ESP Ra.De board. But once I got it home, I realized the top flap latches onto the rest of the box via a magnet. Could this damage the PCB? If so, I'll have to rip it out.

Sidenote: The board is stored in one layer of anti-static bubble wrap and one layer of normal bubble wrap, all of which are slipped into an anti-static bag.

Sidenote 2: The magnet is strong enough that it can hold a small screwdriver to the box.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
How strong of a magnet we talking? If it is just a latch one, im leaning towards no, but we need a magnetologist to weigh his opinion.

Also MAGNETIC SHOCKWAVE

Magnetic_Shockwave.gif

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
How strong of a magnet we talking? If it is just a latch one, im leaning towards no, but we need a magnetologist to weigh his opinion.

Also MAGNETIC SHOCKWAVE

Magnetic_Shockwave.gif

I ended up cutting out the magnets. Turns out they were pretty small - about the size of a button battery. So I was able to use a razor and pry them from the cardboard. But they did seem pretty strong, so I'm glad I did take them out. I tested the board and it's fine. Phew.