MVS to SONY BVM

auberwn

n00b
I'm connecting a neo geo mvs (MV1B) to my Sony BVM monitor straight from the (RGB) jamma connector and it's way too bright - it's causing the overload light to turn on unless I turn the contrast and brightness way down.

Any recommended solution? I've tried to put resistors (~200 to 300ohm) in series and the difference was very small. Do I have to go with higher values?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If you want to be anal you can run the raw RGBs through an Extron 160xi for example.

auberwn

n00b
If you want to be anal you can run the raw RGBs through an Extron 160xi for example.

Thanks. Interesting but firstly I can't justify adding this to my setup since I don't have this issue with any of my other systems. Secondly one is not available around my region for a logical amount (cheap). If I find one in the future I'll buy it though just to have around.

auberwn

n00b
Update: I've tested with the terminators on the BVM and it's way too dark. That's why I removed them in the first place. On all of my other consoles I get the proper brightness without them.
I've gone up to 1.2K in line resistors on the RGB lines of my CMVS. It improved matters slightly but I still get an overload some times on the brightness and contrast settings I think are best. If I dial them down I don't get overloads any more but the image is darker than I would like.
I've seen some use capacitors as well as resistors in line.
Also I've seen some use resistors between the RGB lines and Ground - usually 75Ω.
Has anyone tested this?

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Well, you're probably looking at a voltage divider if you want to do things properly, rather than just putting an inline resistor.

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/voltage-divider-calculator

Input voltage is 5V, as for output, you want something around 1V. You can choose one of the resistors' value freely.

(for example you can use a 100Ω resistor and a a 25Ω)

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can also use a pot as a voltage divider if wired correctly.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
You can also use a pot as a voltage divider if wired correctly.

Yup, that's how I generally do this: first wire a pot, find the sweet spot, remove it, read the value and find the resistor with the closest value and solder it in.

Other times I just leave the pot in, for example for my console to jamma project, as each console has some differences in its output and with fixed resistors some consoles would end up being too dark or too bright on the arcade monitor.

auberwn

n00b
After working on this on and off for some time I've reach these conclusions:
1)
The best solution is the voltage divider + rgb amp. BUT ONLY if the power source is clean.
I'm using a 5V switching adapter and therefore I get a lot of waves on the image. Actually the output for the voltage divider alone is a lot worse - the rgb amp cleans it up considerably but it's still bad.

I could fix that by obviously using a clean power source. The only one I know which is definitely clean is a linear voltage regulator (or two 7805s like the Genesis model 1). But that produces heat and the case of my MVS hasn't got the space for that.
I'll make a power supply from a picopsu in the future and see if that is better but I think that's also basically a form of switching power supply.

2) Just use a resistor between the RGB outputs and ground and then plug it into a Extron RXi (without the resistors the sync frequently fails). I said above that I could not afford one but I got lucky and grabbed two 202rxi's on an auction at a veeeery good price.