How are we not talking about getting sold out to ISPs by our congress?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Rollback on privacy measures that do not cost us anything.

republicans call it "government overreach".

everyone else calls it "common sense consumer protection".

we're boned.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Don't worry, the Market will fix it. If you don't like getting sold out, just switch to a different cable company. :keke:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
No one's talking about it because it's not going to do any good.

This administration is doing everything it can to line the pockets of people that provide services to the populace, which means that the populace then gets the stick shoved up its ass in the name of "consumer protection". Like it matters anyway when inflation starts.

People like smokehouse voted for this, this "lesser of two evils" bullshit. Soon, we'll have no privacy/anonymity on an internet that only the wealthy will be able to afford.

I hope they go into smoke's post history far enough when he said that he was "transsexual". Would the right be upset that one of their own liked to wear women's underwear and espouse the virtues of no gun control?

"Lesser of two evils".

"Lock her up! Shes a criminal!"

"Trump is the best thing to happen to this country!"

We'll see about that.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
We aren't talking about it because, like it or not, this shit is getting "normalized." It's just another day.

We aren't talking about it because there aren't many people willing to come in here and defend the administration, for some reason.

It also looks like we aren't talking about it because everyone is coming around to the same opinion. (Except for the republican base, which still gives DJT 81% approval.)
2017-03-30.png

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
All that has changed is they can now sell your information. They weren't prevented from collecting it to begin with, so the privacy issue is moot.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
All that has changed is they can now sell your information. They weren't prevented from collecting it to begin with, so the privacy issue is moot.

I don't think the issue would be moot if my doctor (only) became able to sell my medical records. Is this not analogous?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I don't think the issue would be moot if my doctor (only) became able to sell my medical records. Is this not analogous?

It is probably relative to that.

Why all the hate against Congress about it? They were lobbied to do this. Do people consider their ISP to be a necessary evil and don't hold them to the fire?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

Not prevented from collecting it, but prevented from selling it.

Aside from browsing info, people give isps (and tons of other businesses) sensitive info like addy, ss #, etc... its something thats given as part of your account creation. Things like your income and personal tastes as well are collected from your history. online banking can now be viewed. all of your info is now for sale. thats the issue.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I'm starting to lose it.

All of this insanity is getting to be too much.

Old white dudes in suit have apparently have had their fill of women doing whatever they want with their bodies and people having their privacy kept private.

The women, minorities, gays, and transgender folk were having a better run than they've had in a while, but this administration has thus far done a smashing job of turning that Equality Clock several decades.

Seriously... fuck all these guys and the people who voted for them.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
C-Span today was fucking insane

The republican senators were asking questions to a cyber security expert and he was telling them exactly what happened, and how it happened, and he had no qualms telling them that every time a russian source or a clearly fake source had a new article, Trump or his team would cite it. There was coordination.

Hillary Clinton was the target of a phishing scam, just like Podesta, but she didn't fall for the "change your google password" scam.

The expert told the Senate that there should be a Consumer Reports style system for media sources where they are ranked and given rep points just like corporations are in Consumer Reports.

The point of fake news wasn't just to change public opinion, but to stifle any exposure to the truth.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Why all the hate against Congress about it? They were lobbied to do this. Do people consider their ISP to be a necessary evil and don't hold them to the fire?
I need broadband to work. The only broadband service available is a DOCSIS system run by the cable monopoly.

Luckily, my city is only partially Comcast. I make sure, when I move, that I don't land in their territory.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Guys, you're missing the big picture here. Think of how accurately advertisers can target us. We'll be provided with one-click access to must-have products based on our address, income, race, gender, occupation, political standing, health, sexual orientation, venereal disease status, religion, preference for Pepsi or Coke, media consumption history, and so much more! It's gonna be great! :thevt:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Im confused I thought the obama regulation on net neutrality did not go into effect until this year?

Are they not already selling our info?

On top of all this google, yahoo, msn already do this as well more accountability does not sound like government overreach it sounds like common sense....

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
On top of all this google, yahoo, msn already do this as well more accountability does not sound like government overreach it sounds like common sense....

Hey buddy,

I don't hang around these forums that much anymore, so I don't know you and you don't know me, but all the same, go fuck yourself.

Nice to meet you.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Guys, you're missing the big picture here. Think of how accurately advertisers can target us. We'll be provided with one-click access to must-have products based on our address, income, race, gender, occupation, political standing, health, sexual orientation, venereal disease status, religion, preference for Pepsi or Coke, media consumption history, and so much more! It's gonna be great! :thevt:

Thank god i'm an RC man.

Im confused I thought the obama regulation on net neutrality did not go into effect until this year?

Are they not already selling our info?

Isp's are forbidden from selling our info currently. So no. Some have been caught attempting to sell it and fined heavily.

Literally one of the last things preserving our online privacy is being given away.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Hey buddy,

I don't hang around these forums that much anymore, so I don't know you and you don't know me, but all the same, go fuck yourself.

Nice to meet you.

Im agreeing with OP. This all sounds terrible.

And hi nice to meet you now...
tumblr_m3dhpgQVDX1rtlru3o1_500.jpg

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Isp's are forbidden from selling our info currently. So no. Some have been caught attempting to sell it and fined heavily.

Literally one of the last things preserving our online privacy is being given away.

Isps ,ok but haven't search providers been doing this for a long time? Google and apple have gotten caught before if I remember correctly.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Isps who have been essentially tied to a doctor/ patient privacy type law. google sells its metrics and does targeting ads. so does everyone else. but the isp companies have the widest net to cast and can literally sell everything about you if they were allowed by law to. The law currently states that they require permission from those whose info they want to sell. now there will be nothing to stop them from selling your info to whomever they want regardless of the buying parties intent.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've been using Opera for over a year now and love it, firefox kept giving me issues. VPN is free with that browser. Only issue is when the VPN is turned on, you might experience some lag.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Isps ,ok but haven't search providers been doing this for a long time? Google and apple have gotten caught before if I remember correctly.

It's definitely not a perfect system, but Google et al aren't allowing advertisers to target a certain person. They gather certain info based on your cookies and IP. The advertiser comes in, uses an automated system to define who they want to target, and pay Google to serve their ads. There's a layer of anonymity there, though that anonymity is self-policed, so it's not 100% secure, obviously. ISPs have way more information about you. Before, you were a blurry silhouette, and now you're pretty clearly defined.

Real question: Does using a VPN noticeably slow down the time it takes for pages to load, etc, as you're connecting to the VPN and then the VPN is connecting to the site?

Edit: Google and their buds make a ton of money off of advertising. If you've ever wondered how / why all their consumer-level services are free, it's because they're not. You're paying them with your information. Now, if ISPs allowed you to opt into sellable data collection and gave you back $20 a month in return, I think that would be more in line with what Google and other advertising networks are doing.

Also, this all is of course done to line the pockets of the telecom conglomerates. But it also obviously encourages even more advertising from brands and corporations. These departments' main goal is to spend all of their money for the sake of having an increased advertising budget the next year. It's done moreso for the sake of itself than anything else. It only gets worse.

And I've been saying for years that the internet, sooner or later, will revert to AOL. We'll have 100 curated, walled "channels" we can access. URL bars, etc. will be gone.

Last edited: