Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aero City Restoration

Tung's Hair Stylist

So today I picked this up: 20170429_014442_1493455566824.jpeg big thanks to legoslug for that

This is also what my Aero currently looks like:20170429_014423_1493455566730.jpeg it just needs two 24mm buttons for the cp which I ordered the other day, I also need to put the new side art on and then it'll be finished, beyond that all I'd want to do is get a new header piece, I've been playing my pandoras box 4s on the thing for the last couple days now, the 3 button set up is great for beat em ups

and heres all my cabinets lined up out in the garage:20170429_014453_1493455566982.jpeg

The z back was set up with a metal slug x cart in a 1 slot board, the one slot board was fried (I'm probably going to send it to Xian Xi to repair one of these days, he did work on my 4 slot and got it working as if it were brand new) I did my best to make the cabinet look as close to a neo cab as possible, still need side art and a proper 4 slot marquee, but I've been too lazy to get on that, since its a conversion I screwed in a cupholder recently and wired the joystick ports to the outside of the cab using extension cords, a rotozip and some fast drying caulk, the next project for this bad boy will probably be to get the memory card reader mounted and throw in some headphone jacks (I'm using turf masta's memory reader which doesn't have headphone jacks)

And here's E. Honda atop the Neo conversion, guarding my cabs and the precious tokens inside the urine sample cup (my mom works at kaiser and loves using these things as containers, she grabbed them brand new of course, so no pee has ever touched the inside): 20170429_014500_1493455567100.jpeg
    Last edited by NeuroticMoose; 04-29-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroticMoose View Post
    (my mom works at kaiser and loves using these things as containers, she grabbed them brand new of course, so no pee has ever touched the inside)

Looks great man! Amazing transformation!

Was that the Mark IV that had shown up on and off craigslist for the last 6 months or so? Was advertised with (4) board sets and I think a MAME PC?

KING of teh SCOOPS!

Looks really great! Glad you picked up that Pony IV, now I dont have to debate on picking it up!

Angel's Love Slave

Quote Originally Posted by NoAffinity View Post

Looks great man! Amazing transformation!

Was that the Mark IV that had shown up on and off craigslist for the last 6 months or so? Was advertised with (4) board sets and I think a MAME PC?
    That must have been a different cab because when I bought it it came with no games.i only had it on Craigslist for a couple weeks, not even a month, with no games.

Line up: Neo 25, Super Neo 29, Astro City, New Net City (x2), Crazy Taxi Stand Up

That makes sense. I see you have all 4 buttons, maybe use the top 2 as credits?

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Very nice pick ups. The aero looks like its coming along every nicely. One question though where did you get the MSX marquee???
    Last edited by Shipwreck_00; 04-30-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling error

US Neo Geo AES system: serial #015732

Tung's Hair Stylist

Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck_00 View Post
    Very nice pick ups. The aero looks like its coming along every nicely. One question though where did you get the MSX marquee???
    came with the cab

Sieger's Squire

wow, you definitely did a great job restoring the aero city cab. Nice pickup on the pony cab!

Morden's Lackey

I can't believe how good the Aero looks now! I can't wait to see it fully finished

Great job man!

King's Dry Cleaner

DAAAAAAAAMN, nice score man! I'm jealous. I'm still needing to fix my Big Red cab up, but I don't really have a garage to store it and work on it. Hoping I can get the money from the Tekken 3 cab that I let my brother keep at his place. He says he wants to buy it, but something tells me I won't see the money anytime soon. Probably gonna try to get my control panel powder coated. Know any place that's good for just one small item? I know most places like to do jobs with multiple items being painted rather than one small thing.
    -Always peanut butter
    -Confident strategy
    -Become president of peanut butters

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

^Depending on if it's a common color, you can ask a powder coater to out it in with a larger order. As long as you don't mind waiting til an order comes along, maybe weeks or months, that'll usually get you a discount. If it's a unique color tho, that probably won't work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

King's Dry Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by NoAffinity View Post
    ^Depending on if it's a common color, you can ask a powder coater to out it in with a larger order. As long as you don't mind waiting til an order comes along, maybe weeks or months, that'll usually get you a discount. If it's a unique color tho, that probably won't work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Planned on doing either satin or semi-gloss black for the control panel, and then I'm probably gonna pick up one of the B-stock CPOs from Quarter Arcade since they're significantly cheaper than the normal ones.
    -Always peanut butter
    -Confident strategy
    -Become president of peanut butters

Tung's Hair Stylist

Yeah I just spraypainted mine with some rustoleum and it's already chipped in more than a few places, not that I care, the thing is basically more for function than looks at this point, you can do what I've done to look for specialty shops, google "Powder Coater Modesto" and you'll get a list of places with reviews and a phone number to ask questions, most shops around here do big industrial orders, but they're also not likely to turn down a sale or even offer advice

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Nice to see some Sega Aero Cities being saved . Currently I only have a New Astro City but I been falling in love more with the Aero's and Pony Mark III's. Keep up the work . I always wanted to restore a candy cab but not sure I am up for the task just yet, It would definitely be a learning curve for the cabinet labor wiring is the easy part for me as long as I get a schematic lol.
    Last edited by Geekman1222; 06-27-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Tung's Hair Stylist

Quote Originally Posted by Geekman1222 View Post
    Nice to see some Sega Aero Cities being saved . Currently I only have a New Astro City but I been falling in love more with the Aero's and Pony Mark III's. Keep up the work . I always wanted to restore a candy cab but not sure I am up for the task just yet, It would definitely be a learning curve for the cabinet labor wiring is the easy part for me as long as I get a schematic lol.
    These things are built like tanks, if you can handle the wiring it's as easy as repainting (however in depth with that as you want to go, I just gave it a quick coat since there wasn't any rust to clean up) filling any holes the last idiot who owned it put into it with bondo and if need be taking a wire brush drill attachment or dremel to rust. The plastic cabs aren't going to last much longer, plastic corrodes over time and while you can patch it with painters putty in another ten years or so it's probably not going to matter

Bashful Neophyte

Great job on restoration!

Thread Information