Thread: Aero City Restoration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tung's Hair Stylist

Aero City Restoration

So I recently got an aero city in pretty garbage shape, here's a picture of what will henceforth be known as "before"
    20170325_124536_1490489585851.jpeg20170325_124544_1490489585676.jpeg

So yeah, it looks abysmal, but all the wiring is good and the monitor is in great shape, over the last few days I tore down the control panel so I could figure out what it was I was working with, turns out it's all set for a 1 player set up, but I want a 2 player six button set up so I can get my street fighter on, which really just means ordering an adapter and kick harness and running a few more wires up to the control panel casing

I also got rid of the stupid box that was screwed to the kicker and the cabinet to make it standing height, this is a goddamn candy cab, so getting it back to its original height was a must, add to that a shiny new coat of paint and we ended up with this:candy.jpg

Which personally I think is much better than what we started with, I'm currently waiting on some funds to come in so I can purchase some new side and control panel art, and codecrank said he would hook me up with a proper CP, beyond that I need to pick up some new joysticks and buttons and try to figure out how to fix the Aero City light up sign which is cracked, worst case scenario I'm just going to end up removing it and super gluing the 3 pieces back together, that's it for now, I'll update as I make more progress

Zero's Tailor

Nice work so far, way to bring this thing back to life. Love the angular look of the Aero City.

Tung's Hair Stylist

Late night update: seeing as I'm waiting on funds there's only so much I can do with the cab at the moment, but one thing that kept nagging at me was the cracked Aero City sign, which looked like this:20170327_232614_1490691307229.jpeg

it's hard to see but there's a crack in that spot and the same spot on the other side, so the fix for this, without being able to find a repro was to glue the thing back together with some super glue I had lying around from another project, the difficulty in this was that to get to the sign I had to take out both speakers and their enclosures and carefully wiggle the repaired sign into the grooves, this whole experience sucked and the sign is still ugly, but at least it's now in one piece:
    20170328_014719_1490691307404.jpeg

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroticMoose View Post
    Late night update: seeing as I'm waiting on funds there's only so much I can do with the cab at the moment, but one thing that kept nagging at me was the cracked Aero City sign, which looked like this:20170327_232614_1490691307229.jpeg

it's hard to see but there's a crack in that spot and the same spot on the other side, so the fix for this, without being able to find a repro was to glue the thing back together with some super glue I had lying around from another project, the difficulty in this was that to get to the sign I had to take out both speakers and their enclosures and carefully wiggle the repaired sign into the grooves, this whole experience sucked and the sign is still ugly, but at least it's now in one piece:
    20170328_014719_1490691307404.jpeg
    Looking forward to seeing this progress, always loved the look of these cabs.

Neo Bubble Buster

Awesome, been looking for an Aero myself. Can't wait to see your progress.

Tung's Hair Stylist

Nothing big today, but I was able to figure out the particulars of the wiring harness and I labeled everything so I can just plug and play once I get a CP and buttons and sticks, I also realized the cab is fully wired for a 2 player set up and ordered a molex connector from one of the bajillion arcade supply shops on the web, so the next thing to do with that will be building a harness for the 2nd player controls which is one of the most relaxing things to do when it comes to arcade restoration, I'll be picking up the necessary 20 gauge wire and quick connects in the coming days, beyond that I'm just waiting on a check to arrive in the mail so I can order all the stuff I need to fully restore this thing

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

The question recently came up on the AO forums - why start button holes on the cp surround area and on the cp? The answer - cuz mah Jongg panels don't have start buttons. Seemed to make sense.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

^Depending on if it's a common color, you can ask a powder coater to out it in with a larger order. As long as you don't mind waiting til an order comes along, maybe weeks or months, that'll usually get you a discount. If it's a unique color tho, that probably won't work.

King's Dry Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by NoAffinity View Post
    ^Depending on if it's a common color, you can ask a powder coater to out it in with a larger order. As long as you don't mind waiting til an order comes along, maybe weeks or months, that'll usually get you a discount. If it's a unique color tho, that probably won't work.

Planned on doing either satin or semi-gloss black for the control panel, and then I'm probably gonna pick up one of the B-stock CPOs from Quarter Arcade since they're significantly cheaper than the normal ones.
    -Always peanut butter
    -Confident strategy
    -Become president of peanut butters

Tung's Hair Stylist

Yeah I just spraypainted mine with some rustoleum and it's already chipped in more than a few places, not that I care, the thing is basically more for function than looks at this point, you can do what I've done to look for specialty shops, google "Powder Coater Modesto" and you'll get a list of places with reviews and a phone number to ask questions, most shops around here do big industrial orders, but they're also not likely to turn down a sale or even offer advice

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Nice to see some Sega Aero Cities being saved . Currently I only have a New Astro City but I been falling in love more with the Aero's and Pony Mark III's. Keep up the work . I always wanted to restore a candy cab but not sure I am up for the task just yet, It would definitely be a learning curve for the cabinet labor wiring is the easy part for me as long as I get a schematic lol.
    Last edited by Geekman1222; 06-27-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Tung's Hair Stylist

Quote Originally Posted by Geekman1222 View Post
    Nice to see some Sega Aero Cities being saved . Currently I only have a New Astro City but I been falling in love more with the Aero's and Pony Mark III's. Keep up the work . I always wanted to restore a candy cab but not sure I am up for the task just yet, It would definitely be a learning curve for the cabinet labor wiring is the easy part for me as long as I get a schematic lol.
    These things are built like tanks, if you can handle the wiring it's as easy as repainting (however in depth with that as you want to go, I just gave it a quick coat since there wasn't any rust to clean up) filling any holes the last idiot who owned it put into it with bondo and if need be taking a wire brush drill attachment or dremel to rust. The plastic cabs aren't going to last much longer, plastic corrodes over time and while you can patch it with painters putty in another ten years or so it's probably not going to matter

Thread Information