Thread: Cordless Drill suggestions

Dogg-Father

Cordless Drill suggestions

Any suggestions on a low power drill to just undo screws on pcb's and shells? I'm not drilling through them like customs. I'm covered with plenty of 18v stuff but would like something more comfortable with one hand?

Anyone try one of these:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-Gyro...river/50029408

or

https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DB3DL.../dp/B004Y74AU6
    Last edited by Neodogg; 03-23-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

Stay away from the hitachi ones. the batteries suck.

I'd also skip the purpose made 'screwdrivers' and get a 9.6v drill/driver.

I've used this in the windy warehouse steadily for 3 years now. Same battery. Still holds a good charge. never an issue. drop the torque settings for minor pcb screws, if you need to make a small hole, then it can do that as well. not too heavy and feels good in one hand. plus cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...rds=9.6v+drill

you can also get the ryobi one (which i like their 18v stuff for my house and basic maintience) but i cannot speak to its weight/ usability. I also think there is a 9.6v dewalt out there somewhere..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Rec...ord=9.6v+drill
    Last edited by cdamm; 03-23-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpj View Post
    Sometimes, the customer doesn't always KNOW what's right.

Critical Damage!

I've gone through a lot of drills over the years and have my go to 3:

For what you're describing - I call this my outlet-cover-remover; it's a 12v Bosch - i've had Ryobi, DeWalt and Black and Decker in this size. Wouldn't recommend any of those, but I love this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BEE2LU...s_ad_dp_asin_1

For mid-range cordless - I use a Panasonic 15v, but that's a bit bigger and heavier - it's a great mid-range drill, not ideal for driving 6" screws all-day, but for a deck project or something - this is the one: https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EY6...anasonic+drill

For real work, I use a Milwaukee Holeshooter - had this one for 12 years now, absolute beast. It has a keyed chuck, so not meant for switching bits back and forth, but for a long job - this will run all day and never slow down - plenty of power: https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-166...waukee+shooter (this looks like a newer model of what I have, but same 7amp and seems to get good reviews as well).
    Rare PROTO HUNTER; Looking For: Jak and Daxter, New Zealand Story (original build only), Ratchet and Clank 2, Tak and the Power of the JuJu

Paying 4 figures + for any of the above.

Found in 2017: Recalhorn, Dr. Yam Yam, Sunday Fundy

Dogg-Father

Milwaukee makes a 12v also. I guess I need to learn the trigger better too.

Yeah, I'm covered for 18v stuff. Will have to see what "my" price would be on the Milwaukee since I work for a tool supply house.

Didn't realize Pany still made drills.
    Last edited by Neodogg; 03-23-2017 at 11:10 PM.
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

King's Bartender
    Am Heimcomputer sitz' ich hier... programmier' die Zukunft mir...

Quote Originally Posted by mjmjr25 View Post
    I've gone through a lot of drills over the years and have my go to 3:

For what you're describing - I call this my outlet-cover-remover; it's a 12v Bosch - i've had Ryobi, DeWalt and Black and Decker in this size. Wouldn't recommend any of those, but I love this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BEE2LU...s_ad_dp_asin_1
    I have this exact model, as well. For light-duty around-the-house stuff, it's great. When I need a "real" drill, I don't use a cordless. But honestly, this Bosch is good as both an electric screwdriver, and a light-duty drill when I just need to make small holes in stuff.

No more posts. Jibs wins internet for May 31.

i would third the bosch. from what i saw i thought he was looking for a budget option. those things are great if a little spendy.

though, i still love that little b&d that i got for $20 on sale for basic bitch work. as just an electric screwdriver its tremendous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpj View Post
    Sometimes, the customer doesn't always KNOW what's right.

King's Bartender
    Am Heimcomputer sitz' ich hier... programmier' die Zukunft mir...

I mean, if you're on a budget then just go down to Harbor Freight and buy a disposable one. Or just use a screwdriver. An electric screwdriver is kind of a luxury item, isn't it? OP didn't say anything about it needing to be cheap, though.

No more posts. Jibs wins internet for May 31.

Akari's Big Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba View Post
    I mean, if you're on a budget then just go down to Harbor Freight and buy a disposable one. Or just use a screwdriver. An electric screwdriver is kind of a luxury item, isn't it? OP didn't say anything about it needing to be cheap, though.
    there it is.

I used to get the same brand they'd have on sale all the time. Not sure what the name of the brand is but it came with a flash light that used the same battery. Really nice deal for what you get plus its convenient to have a bunch of chargers, flashlights, drills and batteries that all work together.

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

I think OGHUGO had a black and decker branded drill

I use Makita's for work, does the job.

For the tunes lovers!

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

If I'm just doing electronics screws, I skip the drill and use a low power cordless screwdriver. They have a lot less torque so you're less likely to strip a screw.

Dogg-Father

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    If I'm just doing electronics screws, I skip the drill and use a low power cordless screwdriver. They have a lot less torque so you're less likely to strip a screw.
    This is what I'm looking for...have a suggestergen?
    People I've delt with:

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-.../dp/B005LTNLDS

I have that one. There's nothing really special about it, it's just a decent rechargeable low power screwdriver. The good thing is that it holds a charge along time, the bad thing is if you're doing a big job the battery doesn't last through a lot of work. I only do occasional work these days and always forget to plug it in so it's great for me. The only thing I don't like about it is the position of on button, it's perfectif you have the screwdriver straight (that's normally how I use them) but if you are holding it like a pistol grip it's on top and you have to use two hands.

I didn't do any thorough research into models or anything, I just grabbed what I thought looked decent at Lowes or Walmart or something.

Ion battery driven drills are lighter than the regular 18v dewalts and what have you. I use Dewalt when I need real power, otherwise I have a Makita Ion battery set, drill and hammer drill along with charger and 2 ion batteries, it was on special for 100 bucks, it does pack some serious power but not as much as a 18v Dewalt, very close though. This Makita drill is so light, it's perfect for all my needs with the hobby.

Makita LCT314W 12V MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless 3pc Combo Kit w/ 3/8

Edit: Mine didn't come with a flash light, kinda cool.
    Last edited by Dark Jaguar; 03-24-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx
    Parking in handicap spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGrave View Post
    Ion battery driven drills are lighter than the regular 18v dewalts and what have you. I use Dewalt when I need real power, otherwise I have a Makita Ion battery set, drill and hammer drill along with charger and 2 ion batteries, it was on special for 100 bucks, it does pack some serious power but not as much as a 18v Dewalt, very close though. This Makita drill is so light, it's perfect for all my needs with the hobby.

Makita LCT314W 12V MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless 3pc Combo Kit w/ 3/8

Edit: Mine didn't come with a flash light, kinda cool.
    Takes apart a Titan cab in no time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
    Xorthen was on my case for a few days via PM (and then some) offering to pay me $20 just to talk on the phone with me for an hour, but he chickened out or something and then decided to be an asshole in public towards me

Almost all of them are chinese now.
    Dewalt, Milwuakee, Ryobi... they are all made by the same people . It's all branding at this point.

Hilti, Bosch, Makita if you want a good product. Find any cheap one if you just want a casual drill. They are fundamentally the same.

I occasionally watch this guy for an engineer's perspective on these things. His humor catches on with some people.
    https://youtu.be/NHCS7JXfuv0

Steam: SnethSS
    XBL:Sneth
    PSN:Sneth
    3DSxl: 1907-7977-5467
    Switch

Dogg-Father

I might try this out...it's only $10 and I spent more money or crap before...

https://www.amazon.com/DP240-Recharg.../dp/B000VKX0LA
    People I've delt with:

Dogg-Father

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSneth View Post
    Almost all of them are chinese now.
    Dewalt, Milwuakee, Ryobi... they are all made by the same people . It's all branding at this point.

Hilti, Bosch, Makita if you want a good product. Find any cheap one if you just want a casual drill. They are fundamentally the same.

I occasionally watch this guy for an engineer's perspective on these things. His humor catches on with some people.
    https://youtu.be/NHCS7JXfuv0

ha ha he's quite the wordsmith
    People I've delt with:

Thread Information