CPS2 Battery Question

jeffg

n00b
Guys
On the CPS2 batteries do they start to drain low then stop working or are they up around the 3.6V and a little more than all of a sudden stop working?

I got a Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and the battery tests strong at 3.65V so not sure if I need to change it or not?

Thanks

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't know the answer, but if you don't know when it was changed then go ahead and do it.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Guys
On the CPS2 batteries do they start to drain low then stop working or are they up around the 3.6V and a little more than all of a sudden stop working?

I got a Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and the battery tests strong at 3.65V so not sure if I need to change it or not?

Thanks

You do realise... we have a tech section don't you?

THREAD MOVED...

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
There's an old thread on it here:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?224437-CPS2-battery-life-span-17-years

But the tl;dr is - it's not as much a question of the battery charge level gradually dropping below a threshold. Instead, it's that the stock lithium battery can suddenly, randomly die. It may only last 5 years, or it may last 15 - 20 years.

Anyway - totally agree that if you don't know when or if it was changed, then definitely change it.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Pretty much what's been said. As a rule of thumb, if you know when it was last changed, change it 3-5 years later. If you don't know when it was last changed, change it immediately.

The batteries can die at any point after that for a number of reasons, so be proactive.

Last edited:
Yea luckily I had battery holders installed on all my boards so if I even think it might die, pop it out and pop one in...magic!! Lol and I put a little tape printed with the date the battery was changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk