SCPH-5500 - Lens/optical drive compatibility

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I have a jpn playstation unit (SCPH-5500) where the audio skips for certain titles at certain parts of the game. A few titles seem to load with glitchy graphics.

I have other JPN units, but the faulty 5500 aesthetically is the best one I have.

My desire to preserve this faulty unit is rather impractical, but does anyone know which units' optical drives are compatible with SCPH-5500 models (assuming the lens/optical drive is the root of the problem here)?

Are there any third party drives of decent quality compatible with my model?

Thanks

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i have had and still have the same issues with those models. i tried a bunch of different drives. Some that seem to fit properly but for whatever reason they dont play nice.

i'd like to know a work around as well.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
The most reliable PS1 laser is the one found in the PSOne and it's the KSM-440BAM model. You must have the 440ADM (it says underneath the console on a sticker I believe)

SCPH-100X models (1000,1001,1002) have KSM-440ACM (probably the worst) which you can replace with a PSOne laser (done it to 2 of my SCPH-1000 machines) but I'm not sure if you can replace the laser of a SCPH-5500 machine with that of a PSOne.

Sound skipping and FMV issues are related to the laser. Your machine seems to have a GPU problem.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Are or aren't related to the laser?

Sound skipping, FMV skipping = 100% laser alignment
graphic glitches = 99% GPU issue.

I've had a lot of PS1 consoles. When I had glitches it was usually a bad GPU or vram issue. A guy in the UK fixed these for me. I'm useless with a soldering iron.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Good thing I never found a Yaroze - I'd be a bit scurred right now.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Sound skipping, FMV skipping = 100% laser alignment
graphic glitches = 99% GPU issue.

I've had a lot of PS1 consoles. When I had glitches it was usually a bad GPU or vram issue. A guy in the UK fixed these for me. I'm useless with a soldering iron.

I've seen cases where bad FMV playback results in graphical corruption just after the movie gives up.

i have had and still have the same issues with those models. i tried a bunch of different drives. Some that seem to fit properly but for whatever reason they dont play nice.

i'd like to know a work around as well.
There are adjustments for focus gain/bias on the motherboard, presumably because of loose manufacturing tolerances in the focus coil. After switching optical blocks, you're supposed to readjust those. (The two main-spot detectors should have equal levels when the optics are in focus.)

Last edited: