GroovyMAME Help?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

For the last month/2 months I've been trying to set up Groovymame on a PC so I can throw it in my cab using crt_emudriver. This is not turning out well. I'm getting stress headaches trying to decipher posts on other forums written by people that barely speak english.

I'm computer-literate, but I'm no means a master with this stuff, so any precise instructions would be VERY welcomed.

The problem:

I was given this GPU by a friend that had usede it in his own MAME rig. It was bought specfically for this because it was supposed to have the absolute best compatibility with crt_emudriver.

I have a compatible mobo, and hunted down a copy of WinXP, as I was told that I needed it.

Using this tutorial, I downloaded the crt_emudriver for my graphics card, the latest groovymame64, the latest mame64, anything else it said I needed and followed the installation instructions to the letter.

The big problem I'm coming up with is that the ATI drivers I keep finding for crt_emudriver (I downloaded it here) are giving me drivers for some "Mobility HD 4330" card. Now, the graphics card works, because I downloaded the latest drivers for it and everything runs fine. However, crt_emudriver doesn't work with the latest drivers, I need to use this Catalyst (9.3 because it supports my graphics card), VMMAKER, Arcade OSD stuff. Also, different installation instructions that I've seen all say NOT to update the graphics card.

WTF am I doing wrong? Everyone says how "Easy" this is to set up, but I'm about to throw this thing out the window and be done with it. I really don't want to join the BYOAC forums to ask Calamity (the one who made crt_emudriver) 1 or 2 questions and possibly not get an answer.

SYSTEM:

CPU: It's an AMD, don't remember the exact specs
GPU: VisionTek 4350 512mb VT Retail
-4GB RAM (Anything more seems a bit overkill for MAME)
-It's not connected to the internet, thats not what I want this for just yet (maybe fightcade later on), and I don't plan to connect it anytime soon.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
Are you installing VT drivers before you install crtemudriver?

VisionTek?

The first time I installed them was to make sure the card worked. I then un-installed them and followed that tutorial that I linked, but the ATI drivers were for the wrong graphics card.

Last night I started the process AGAIN - and - installed the newest VT drivers. Still wouldn't work.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
From what I did, I only allowed the windows drivers load. Then installed the crtemu driver. I'm using the HD4350 in two machines and thus worked for me.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
From what I did, I only allowed the windows drivers load. Then installed the crtemu driver. I'm using the HD4350 in two machines and thus worked for me.

I'm gonna annoy the shit out of you with all my questions...

I'll try to swath out some time for this when I get home from work.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
These two links helped me through the process of setting it all up.

CRT Emudrive instructions
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65

GroovyMAME installation instructions
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=290

I literally never used MAME prior to setting all this up in my cab, it should do you wonders.

edit: I also flashed the BIOS of the radeon card I installed so that it only does 15khz resolutions so that the video is entirely in that format from boot to shutdown. Helps knowing what's going on and accessing the motherboard bios on boot up sometimes.

Last edited: