Animation Cels

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Does anyone collect these? I come across them on eBay once in a while and get the urge to buy one, but it seems like very few of them come with any sort of authentication. Does anyone know what's standard (e.g., certificates of authenticity)?

I was once at a local comic con and Billy West was there. I really regret not buying some Ren & Stimpy cels directly from him. :confused:

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I have owned cels from cowboy bebop and vampire hunter d bloodlust. They're kinda cool but also kinda dumb. They just kinda sat around. Owning real part of a show you enjoy is pretty cool though.

fake

15 Year Member
I have owned cels from cowboy bebop and vampire hunter d bloodlust. They're kinda cool but also kinda dumb. They just kinda sat around. Owning real part of a show you enjoy is pretty cool though.

I have a lot of drawings from my favorite "lowbrow" artists on my wall, so I think some cels would fit in, no problem. Yeah, owning a part of the history of the show is a huge appeal to me.

Off the top of my head, my main wants would be:

-Rei in plugsuit or Eva 00 from Evangelion (AFAIK, these were never released by GAINAX, so there is no way of authenticating)
-Ein from Cowboy Bebop
-RX-78, RX-78-2, or Zeta Gundam
-Dirty Pair
-Shami from Macross (see avatar)
-Bubblegum Crisis crew in power suits
-Gunbuster
-Ren & Stimpy
-Totoro or Castle in the Sky (probably $5k for a real one, pshh)
-Daicon

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I bought a few of these about 20 years ago. I think the idea of having something unique and limited was intriguing at the time. Might be neat to have something from American 80's cartoons rather than anime.

They have sat in a folder for the most part. They do look neat, but I'm an adult now.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Only got one & that's with my fav anime character of all time.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
798px-Itchy_%26_Scratchy_animation_cel.png

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Currently I own 2, one from Samurai Jack (which came with a certificate of authenticity) and a cel from Master Keaton, in the future I want to get a few from Big-O, Akira, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. I have both my cels framed and hanging on the wall of my room

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I have a few neat Great Teacher Onizuka cels I got dirt cheap several years ago. I also have a Serial Experiments Lain one I'll probably never part with. I had more but sold them years ago.

I also have a few pages of original art from comics. I'm a bigger fan of those than I am of cels.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
A good friend here hooked me up with a cel of Rei from Fist of the North Star with a painted background. It also includes the douga, which is the hand-drawn guide that is used to make the cel.

Jon

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
As others have already said, it is interesting to own a piece of a film/show that you really enjoy. In my case, it could only be my favorite female anime/game character. This film is one of my absolute favorites:

Mai cel from Battle Fighters 2

View attachment 43447

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I bought a few in the late 90s to early 2000s, when they were plentiful and cheap enough for impulse buying. I doubt I'll ever buy more.

Does anyone know what's standard (e.g., certificates of authenticity)?

There is no universal standard, as it depends on the studio that made it and the time frame it was made. You'll have to research the particular title you are interested in.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
some la blue girl.

when I frame them , now I like to have different layers. like the cel above the background or different characters in front then deeper then background...it looks even cooler?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Have a few from Cardcaptor Sakura...hung them up in a room at my old house:

room02.jpg

Since I moved a few years back, they've been stored away. Got most of them on the cheap.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

room02.jpg

Since I moved a few years back, they've been stored away. Got most of them on the cheap.

neaaarh....lack....of....symmetry....
need..to...align..

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
http://lwk.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

I have the biggest fatal fury gallery out there from what I've seen. Including the best youth Terry cel in the 2nd OVA.

I love cels, but I am on hiatus until I see something truly worth buying.

I'd take those Sakura cels down immediately, trace line fading is a serious issue and the most minor shit effects it. I don't hang cels because of external light and paint fading and such. Collecting cels is a nightmare hobby I don't recommend.

BTW Guys, I hope you are in the 'know' on what vinegar syndrome is.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
neaaarh....lack....of....symmetry....
need..to...align..

Now I know where you get your motivation to keep your cars looking so sharp. :p

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member

room02.jpg

THATS REALLY COOL BUT OH MY GOD YOU NEED TO STRAIGHTEN THOSE THINGS OUT LIKE NOW I DONT CARE IF ITS IN THE PAST LOL

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
THATS REALLY COOL BUT OH MY GOD YOU NEED TO STRAIGHTEN THOSE THINGS OUT LIKE NOW I DONT CARE IF ITS IN THE PAST LOL
Funny thing on when they were hung up. I put up a few on the wall to see how they would look. Then the next day I found out we were going to move out of the house so they didn't stay up very long, crooked or not.

Now in my present dwellings, there's less space on the walls so I decided to keep them in storage nicely sealed from the elements but who knows...I may re-hang them. BTW that's only half the cels I currently possess shown
;)

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
This is my only cel, had to get my favorite character of all time. Raoh w/ Kokuoh.

20170319_091700_zpsse4k4gkg.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
http://lwk.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

I have the biggest fatal fury gallery out there from what I've seen. Including the best youth Terry cel in the 2nd OVA.

I love cels, but I am on hiatus until I see something truly worth buying.

I'd take those Sakura cels down immediately, trace line fading is a serious issue and the most minor shit effects it. I don't hang cels because of external light and paint fading and such. Collecting cels is a nightmare hobby I don't recommend.

BTW Guys, I hope you are in the 'know' on what vinegar syndrome is.

Wouldn't museum glass protect from UV and sun fading?

CrystalCore

Crazed MVS Addict

Of course they just kinda sat around. They are still frames. It's not like they're gonna grow a pair of legs and start walking around saying "Hey, I can move now!" :D

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Trace lines are from a xerox copier. They seem to fade regardless, but the idea of framing stuff is risky still. The issue is, these are acetate sheets, and in a certain amount of time the cels can get vinegar syndrome, which causes them to destroy themselves. They can buckle into a damn mess. Worst aspect of this is that if one cel gets it, it can spread to others by touching it or something. My opinion? Don't frame them. If I want to frame a cel, I'll get it copied professionally and frame the copy and keep the original in a poly bag stored.

Check out how badly the trace lines on my Terry have faded here for example. Edit; On second look, maybe those lighter trace lines are to accent the monochromatic scene? Edit 2; NOPE! It is fading. The cel had black lines originally.

TerryA40End.JPG

I have cels with good trace lines, some instances where the trace lines are just missing in small bits and such, it's a total mess. I saw someone tracing around some icky lines on a light table with a new sheet and just laying a new layer over the cel. (USE A SEPARATE POLYPROPYLENE BAG!). I even created a storage solution people liked.

Vinegar Syndrome:

http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=31065

My storage idea: I use Itoya's.

http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=31096

Here is a youtube video of a restoration I did on a cel that was a disaster.

Last edited: