New Geo owner. Side art removal question.

Hello I just received an empty Neo Geo MVS 4 slot cabinet. My first order of business is addressing the cabinets graphics. The wood looks to be in decent shape, but the graphics are pretty beat up. One of the biggest issues is the left side the red portion of the side graphics that bumps out for the control panel is missing and a previous owner painted it black and then tried to match the right side by painting over the red vinyl.

Needless to say I either need to build up the wood that is missing the red graphics or I better yet remove all of the red...it is rough anyway.

I cannot tell if it is a thick textured vinyl or a thin laminate.

Were these typically vinyl or laminate?

What is the best way to remove the graphics?

Thank you!

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
It's a big sheet of red vinyl. Pretty hard to replace, most people peel the whole thing off, fill/sand it smooth, then paint it red. Me? I just leave that vintage 90s patina intact.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hello I just received an empty Neo Geo MVS 4 slot cabinet. My first order of business is addressing the cabinets graphics. The wood looks to be in decent shape, but the graphics are pretty beat up. One of the biggest issues is the left side the red portion of the side graphics that bumps out for the control panel is missing and a previous owner painted it black and then tried to match the right side by painting over the red vinyl.

Needless to say I either need to build up the wood that is missing the red graphics or I better yet remove all of the red...it is rough anyway.

I cannot tell if it is a thick textured vinyl or a thin laminate.

Were these typically vinyl or laminate?

What is the best way to remove the graphics?

Thank you!

I cant speak for the US models but the Pacific models used a thin red laminate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have debated on keeping the patina on it. I just hate the corners. Maybe paint it?

Attachments

• 20170318_1431321.jpg
    20170318_1431321.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 19