MV1FZS audio question

Flinnster

n00b
Just picked up an MVS MV1FZS..

Am I correct in thinking that this board outputs stereo audio only, via the jamma connector pins L & 10 (left + right audio), rather than mono audio where pins L & 10 are used for speaker + & -?

I'm currently planning on using it in cab with standard jamma wiring, which is mono speaker, and don't want to damage the MVS board.

Any help appreciated :glee:

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
AFAIK you can only get an amplified mono signal from the jamma edge.

You can do two things: have dual mono by splitting the output from the jamma edge or get unamped stereo, tapping from the output of the chips.

What I've done, personally, is I recreated the pre-amp found on MVS stereo boards and connected it to the audio chips' outputs. From there I just put a stereo female jack to run it to my cab's stereo amp.

Flinnster

n00b
Ah thanks for the info - I really couldn't find much online. So the MV1FZS is mono only then just like the MV1FZ :(

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
All the boards are technically "mono", since the JAMMA standard is able only to output a single amplified audio channel.

Some MVS boards have unamped stereo output in the form of a headphone jack, but, aside from this, all the MVS boards are able to output stereo, you just have to tap the signal and amp it.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
All the boards are technically "mono", since the JAMMA standard is able only to output a single amplified audio channel.

Some MVS boards have unamped stereo output in the form of a headphone jack, but, aside from this, all the MVS boards are able to output stereo, you just have to tap the signal and amp it.

All the 1-slot boards are mono, because they are JAMMA-compliant. 2, 4 and 6-slot boards are stereo on the JAMMA edge, but then they are not fully JAMMA compatible, require an adapter.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
All the 1-slot boards are mono, because they are JAMMA-compliant. 2, 4 and 6-slot boards are stereo on the JAMMA edge, but then they are not fully JAMMA compatible, require an adapter.

I beg your pardon, but from this manual I've found online at arcadeotaku ( http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/a/a2/MV-2F-4F-Manual.pdf ) it looks like you can only get mono audio from the JAMMA edge even on 2 and 4 slots (and my guess is on 6 slots as well). AFAIK the only difference is that MVS boards have a fourth button wired to the JAMMA edge and the two Select Up and Select Down buttons.

Please let me know if this is correct, as I've seen much confusion on this topic online.

Last edited:

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
That is incorrect. Pulling mono audio from an MVS-style JAMMA connector (those in the multi-slot machines, and some 1-slot machines like MV-1, which are switchable) will power the speakers with the + half of both sides, meaning you'll only hear the difference of two channels, and it has a decent chance of damaging the amplifier.

Even that manual gives a clear diagram showing stereo wiring.

Flinnster

n00b
Looks like I opened a can o'worms :(

I'm running MV-1FZS on a JAMMA cabinet that has all buttons wired to the JAMMA, and mono audio (pins L/10 as speaker +/-). So far nothing has blown up... but I'd rather know in advance if I'm doing anything wrong.
(So I'm not trying to run mono audio on a specifically MVS wired cab)

Of course on my 6-button layout, button 5 appears on the test mode as the select button. But as I only have a 1 slot, that's harmless right?

My original worry came from finding pin-outs for MVS vs JAMMA like this:

NFVH5yL.png

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
That is incorrect. Pulling mono audio from an MVS-style JAMMA connector (those in the multi-slot machines, and some 1-slot machines like MV-1, which are switchable) will power the speakers with the + half of both sides, meaning you'll only hear the difference of two channels, and it has a decent chance of damaging the amplifier.

Even that manual gives a clear diagram showing stereo wiring.

You're 100% right, what fooled me was that the speakers were using a common ground which you never, ever do on a normal audio amplifier unless you want to blow your power amps or speaker.
Guess that was designed that way for some reason.

Pin 11 gives you the positive end for mono audio should you want to wire for mono (and use ground as a negative, go figure) while pin 10 and L give you stereo sound (again, using ground as negative).

Dialknight

n00b
Necro bump !
So did anyone manage to wire up a 1FZ with stereo for superguns that handle such a thing? I'm itching to pull stereo from the MVS jamma connector. Spent all morning looking for a solution, using the various pinouts schematics, from the 1FZ and the two slots. It looks like you can rig the 1FZ edge connector for stereo by using the "M" pin as a common ground and sending R+ to Pin 10 and L+ to Pin L. Need to look at the actual board later, to clear up some things.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The MV1FZ (with or without the frigging -S) is the only 1-slot to have a stereo amplifier, HA13001, which is the same as the one used on multislots so it's possible with a few changes to get it to output amplified stereo from the edge connector.

Dialknight

n00b
Thanks MKL, I've been staring at the pinouts for all of that circuitry especially the HA13001. It looks like the MV1FZ indeed has a stereo amp, and the signal path as far as output is concerned is near identical to a multi slotter with the HA13001. Only thing that seems amiss is the lonely 4th pin on the amp begging for that (R) signal. The audio signals are combined and tossed to the volume pot, but I'm thinking I can bypass that and just jump the signals where they cross into their applicable pins. Can't tell if I'd need to add or remove anything yet, but it seems simple.