My entire SNK collection

MissFaith

New Challenger
This is from the fact that (both of) the Mortal Kombat DVDs are in the "Warner Brothers cardboard snap-case release" line. I have found that the audio is inferior on nearly all of those releases, even including their box set versions of say.. Nightmare on Elm Street. Both the stereo and 5.1 tracks have both a clarity and level issue. It should be, by all accounts, a DVD surround and a BD surround of the same mix should sound the same, but they do not. And the stereo mix on a DVD should be better than that on a VHS, but it isn't. As such I have found that the VHS audio is better than the DVD audio on these releases.

It only seems to effect these Warner Brothers cardboard DVD releases. So because of this, the VHS equivalents are better because the sound is better. For any of the ones I've had like Mortal Kombat, MK: Annhiliation, Sphere, American History X, The Cell, Nightmare on Elm Street box set, etc.
Picture examples:
American History X: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282410567889
Mortal Kombat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/112376521989
Nightmare on Elm Street set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172630260190

I always thought VHS was clearer than the original DVD players. I was quite lucky to have a very high end Panasonic video recorder with a high end SCART cable. When my brother bought his first DVD player we were very excited but found the picture very blocky and the sound strange and lacking that analogue sound of the tapes. Later on in DVD lifespan they finally started to overtake the quality of proper VHS with NICAM stereo. FWIW I still love watching Mortal Kombat on VHS, even just for the theme song.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Here in the US we did not have SCART and RGB (component) only became fairly standard after 2000. "Fairly" because at the end of the CRT lifetime, it was still possible to get a set with Coax/RF input only. When it comes to a video quality comparison, using a good quality VHS, there is no real difference between it and a Full Frame DVD when being played on a composite connection. The big difference is that DVD had a better widescreen and the space available for surround audio tracks.

For me, DVD and VHS was fairly interchangeable (with the exception of the MK, etc examples. until upconverting DVD players became available, and I was able to use surround sound.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Wtf is with people not taking off damn price stickers. Get that shit off your case.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
20170515_235905_zpsycoeyah6.jpg

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Here in the US we did not have SCART and RGB (component) only became fairly standard after 2000. "Fairly" because at the end of the CRT lifetime, it was still possible to get a set with Coax/RF input only.

I remember the last CRT I owned had component. I felt like a straight baller.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I remember the last CRT I owned had component. I felt like a straight baller.

I used to think that was all that was needed, until I noticed some CRTs are better than others even using other connections. My Trinitron looks great even on composite connection from the VCR, nevermind how S-Video or component is. Having that good one out of the way, I still want to get some more CRTs with various connections. Even a couple 80s color (pre-coax type) are on my list also.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
What's that big black box similar to a Snes cartridge?

It is a drawer for holding SNES carts. It is plastic and originally was to go inside a particle board (wooden) box. WHoever made them, made for other consoles too. I have this one but the wooden box part got some mold or moisture issue and I had to throw it out. Type "SNES Storage Box" into google images to see what they look like. I will take a pic of mine when I get home.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Nice, call me a perv but I like that blocky design.
I swapped my entire Snes Pal collection for a US one.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Here is the front of the drawer. It is faded.
20170516_191921_zps1kspvvng.jpg

What the inside looks like. It is a dust/dirt trap. I don't have the patience to get into every nook and cranny to get that out. And besides the rest of the box is missing and the carts inside are garbage.
20170516_192311_zpssbncornd.jpg

And because I know you fags just love your SNES, you need to see the boxed games so here they are:
20170516_192431_zpspyhlj15o.jpg

I mentioned this dumb thing before, this is what it looks like. Not pictured the power cord. Everyone knows what that looks like anyways.
20170516_192700_zpsb8rswwfk.jpg

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
These shelves warped a little, even tho it is not close to being heavy at all. And you can see my fancy "bookends" to make it so nothing can fall off the side.
zfTuhzPl.jpg

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
These shelves warped a little, even tho it is not close to being heavy at all. And you can see my fancy "bookends" to make it so nothing can fall off the side.
zfTuhzPl.jpg

You seperated your Genesis releases.

Thank god.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
zfTuhzPl.jpg

There's a gap... bottom right... so what keeps those crappy PS 3 games up?

Just burn 'em man...

xROTx

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The gap is due to me re-arranging things, and having got rid of half my PS3 games.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Dat wallpaper!

It came with the house and matches well with the wood paneling. What doesn't work well in that room is the blue carpet. But its blue carpet, I can't get rid of a treasure like that!

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Some day I will clean so can see pics of the rest of this room. For now I put up these tape racks on the wall. Still need some more.

wjv11J4l.jpg

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It is my house. I found more of that wallpaper on a roll in the basement if you want to buy it.