Tell me about Persona. 5 is coming out. I love turn based RPGs. Should I be excited?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The game looks stylish as hell, and I'm loving the battle system from what I can see. But how is the rest? It looks very very dialogue driven. And maybe a bit TOO Japanese/high schoolish for my 40 year old ass. Anyone care to chime in?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
The game looks stylish as hell, and I'm loving the battle system from what I can see. But how is the rest? It looks very very dialogue driven. And maybe a bit TOO Japanese/high schoolish for my 40 year old ass. Anyone care to chime in?

If its anything like 3 and 4, after an hour you'll be hooked. I played 3 and 4 multiple times and it wasn't a chore. Atlus usually brings the A game to anything in their SMT world, I doubt they drop the ball on this. Some of the high school bullshit is tedious, but the music and the gameplay is almost always on point. The games are usually on the easy side though, they haven't had anything really difficult since Nocturne on the PS2. (Also, if you haven't played Nocture, go play it now.)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I have only played Persona 3 FES. The premise is too anime / Japanese for my taste too, but I ended up liking the writing / character-depth of the cast. It has a rather dark / bizarre theme that is geared towards adults. May not be great, but it's interesting.

My only complaint is the dungeons you fight in. The game basically has a number of multi-layered dungeons with random generated floors. The deeper you explore, the further you progress in the story (there is a boss fight every 10 - 20 floors you explore). While the exploration / battles are very fun, I've always thought the dungeon designs were something that could have been improved a lot.

Expect to loose to cheap tricks few times during your playthrough. They often throw some OP monsters (or ones that cause status ailments) just before save points, making you loose hours of exploration. Always be on look out for them.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I consider the Persona 3/4 games (which I expect 5 to be like) a mix of dungeon crawler with visual novel/sim elements to raise affinity with your party characters. There is also traditional leveling and weapons, but the game will lock your dungeon progress until a certain amount in game time passes.

Overall I like them, but they are very Japanese/anime styled. The last couple took place in high schools which means all your characters are teens (for the most part) but you interact with people of other age groups.

Offtopic: But, I just saw you are from my old stomping grounds of Rockford. High school there was nothing like in these games :P

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Never got into 4 dumped about 10 hours into the vita version... Dungeon crawlers are boring and repetitive. The story was cool but when combat becomes a chore the game is no longer fun.

The games do have there cult following this is just my opinion growing up playing the old school jrpgs of the SNES days.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Holy shit this game is amazing. It seems to be everything I want in an RPG. I love the turn based fighting. I love the modern setting (Earthbound was one of my all time favorite RPGs). I love all the things you can do. I love the overall look and play control. Everything about this game is fantastic.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Holy shit this game is amazing. It seems to be everything I want in an RPG. I love the turn based fighting. I love the modern setting (Earthbound was one of my all time favorite RPGs). I love all the things you can do. I love the overall look and play control. Everything about this game is fantastic.

Can't wait to get home tonight and dig into it! Thankfully, I just finished squeezing all the juice I wanted from Horizon [also amazing] so this couldn't time up better. I do wish they had made a nice strategy guide like they did for P4 though.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Mine arrived today and the steel case was beat to shit. Luckily Amazon still has it in stock so a replacement is on the way. I don't know why I bother with these metal cases, I haven't had much luck getting them without issues. Stupid Amazon needs to ditch the bubble mailers and stick with boxes.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Let me tell you about turned based RPGs; They make you weak, live up to your full potential and drop the genre.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i loved persona 4. it was like sitting through a great anime or reading a really good book with great characters that i admired on a personal level. but i might skip this one. just don't have the patience for turned based rpg's anymore. but will definitely pick it up if i'm ever remotely in the mood.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I preordered the Take your heart [or whatever it's called] LE almost a year ago - Amazon says it's shipped [via their private shipping service]

It seems to have "fallen off the truck" and is "lost and undeliverable"

Fuck whoever stole it.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
If it was Amazon's private service it most definitely fell off the back of a station wagon. That effing sucks. :(

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
This game is so effing awesome.

It is, I spent some time with it before work. They have combined a lot from the SMT series, and they've done a good job going back to the darker side of the series. Game is a bit rapey though, that caught me off guard. (And I don't mean the difficulty.)

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Am I the only one who feels the intro dugeon is heavy handed with explation compared to persona 4? I only played P4G but it felt like it got up and going much quicker. Or maybe it was just more engaging atomsphere to me. I'll restart persona 5 when I can give it full dedication. Just started playing cold steel 2 last week and got around 15 to 30 hours left in that depending on how much I wanna do.

Also one thing of note is persona 5 feels super rough around the edges and I find myself seeing ps2 quality texture work all over the place.