Thread: 2 questions about own built supergun

Crossed Swords Squire

2 questions about own built supergun

Hi,

1. I am using a double pole on/off switch for the +5v and +12v DC lines while the PSU remains always supplied with AC voltage. It gets really warm inside when the fan and supergun is switched off unless I pull the plug out.
    Would it be better to route the AC voltage thru the on/off switch instead of DC voltage?

2. The RGB+sync lines coming from the harness pass very near the internal PSU due to lack of space.
    Is there a practical way to shield either the RGB lines or the PSU to avoid noise/interference in the video signal?

Thanks

Cham Cham's Banana

Which PSU are you using?

Watches My Little Pony
    With Cawk in Hand.

Many arcade PSUs don't like being powered with no load. Yes, switching the AC into the PSU would be better. Make sure the switch is rated to handle it.
    I turned off signatures. So should you.

JammaNationX

If the power supply is external then a dual pole for +5v and +12v is fine but if it's an internal power supply, use a single pole single throw for the AC in instead.

Crossed Swords Squire

Quote Originally Posted by kaicer View Post
    Which PSU are you using?
    I am using MD-9916A without enclosure.

MD-9916A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SpamYouToDeath View Post
    Many arcade PSUs don't like being powered with no load. Yes, switching the AC into the PSU would be better. Make sure the switch is rated to handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    If the power supply is external then a dual pole for +5v and +12v is fine but if it's an internal power supply, use a single pole single throw for the AC in instead.
    Thanks for the replies, the power supply is internal so I'll go ahead with a single pole single throw switch for the AC.

I might opt for a bigger casing to keep the internal harness as far as possible from the PSU.

JammaNationX

If you can, keep the metal cage on the PSU as it helps reduce heat on the PSU. Also make sure you add an inline fuse that's accessible from the outside, makes it much easier. Just make sure you use the correct fuse value. I've seen some people using 5A fuses on the AC input which is retarded.

Thread Information