MVS on Mono and Supergun on Stereo?

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have a supergun made by arcadeforge called a makstrike. It has a switch on it for mono/stereo. Now I have my MVS on Mono because from what I understand when you have it flipped to stereo it sends a preamped signal that can wreck your gear if you dont have the proper equipment. Is it an issue to have the supergun switched to stereo and the MVS switched to mono? Naturally I left my supergun on mono because the mvs is on mono... but if i turn up the audio too high i start to get this popping audio. When I switched the supergun to stereo it alleviated this and the audio quality was actually alot better. Is this ok to do? Sorry this is probably a really stupid question.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If the supergun is made correctly, the only difference would be that running it stereo on a mono setting would act as a high pass filter and you basically wouldn't hear much bass, flip it to stereo then the bass comes back.

I'm not even sure if that supergun has an audio attenuation circuit.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If the supergun is made correctly, the only difference would be that running it stereo on a mono setting would act as a high pass filter and you basically wouldn't hear much bass, flip it to stereo then the bass comes back.

I'm not even sure if that supergun has an audio attenuation circuit.

according to this guy it does http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43428

i dont know what that entails though

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Flip both to stereo. Make sure you start with the volume on the board low, then slowly turn it up a little. I use amped audio on my supergun all the time.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Flip both to stereo. Make sure you start with the volume on the board low, then slowly turn it up a little. I use amped audio on my supergun all the time.
is this really ok assuming it has an audio attenuation circuit? i emailed the website I bought it from to clarify.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
is this really ok assuming it has an audio attenuation circuit? i emailed the website I bought it from to clarify.

Yes, keep in mind that JAMMA standard only refers to the edge pinout. There is no standard for audio and video levels. Always start with the lowest volume possible to avoid damaging your TVs amp or stereo receiver.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

It has to be OK, jamma audio is almost always amped, while some boards will output unamped sound through RCA jacks or a header of some kind. Any supergun worth anything has the attenuation circuit.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My supergun doesn't have an attenuation circuit. I just keep the volumes on the boards low enough.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
ok so just to clarify it does NOT have the circuit.

no, the audio attentuation had not the performance we expected and we scratched it from all version. :) All MAK Strikes are safe to use of course. The reason we scratched it was, that cave games had low audio singals not jamma spec and the attentuation did not let go through the sound signals.

so ill just make sure i keep it low if I use audio from the jamma edge.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
no, the audio attentuation had not the performance we expected and we scratched it from all version. All MAK Strikes are safe to use of course. The reason we scratched it was, that cave games had low audio singals not jamma spec and the attentuation did not let go through the sound signals.

"JAMMA Spec" lol, no such thing.