Thread: Super Famicom video problem

Lazy SNK Employee

icon19.gif Super Famicom video problem

Hi all!

I have a problem with a Super Famicom... the screen is totally black! I read before about similar failures,but in my case, audio is working and when using RF, image is totally fine... but using AV cable I got no image.

I used different cartridges and cables, and even I tried to take signal directly from pin 9, and replacing the capacitors near the Multi out port, to no avail. Always the same problem, black screen, with sound, and using RF cable, all works fine.

Any idea about what to check or try?

Thanks!

Mickey's Coach

try an RGB scart cable. I use the official UK GameCube RGB cable - works perfectly

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

You've not said what type of cable you are using when getting the black screen. Is it composite where the problem is? Have you tired a second av cable to ensure first one is working?

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

Lazy SNK Employee

Quote Originally Posted by neo-geo-mvs View Post
    try an RGB scart cable. I use the official UK GameCube RGB cable - works perfectly
    My TV does not have SCART, just old RCA connectors. Is a Sharp SF1.

Last edited by Demiurgo; 03-12-2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Adding picture.

Lazy SNK Employee

Quote Originally Posted by daithidownunder View Post
    You've not said what type of cable you are using when getting the black screen. Is it composite where the problem is? Have you tired a second av cable to ensure first one is working?
    I tried some different AV cables, from Nintendo and even other manufacturers, like Hori, and all these cables work fine in other Super Famicoms I have. I even tried to pinpoint directly the pin 9 with the video signal from the board, and no image at all.
    Last edited by Demiurgo; 03-12-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Lazy SNK Employee

It was not working before being opened or replacing capacitors. By "not working" I mean no video by Multi out port, but correct audio. Also, using RF cable always had video and sound.

Lazy SNK Employee

FIXED!

I traced back the video trace on the board from the pin9 on the underside, it went past a SMD capacitor and a SMD resistor, then to a pass thru hole to the upper side of the board, to another capacitor, and there was the problem: the hole.

The trace was OK on both sides, but acid from old capacitors (now replaced) damaged the hole, so there was no connection for the trace on both sides of the board.

I just made the hole a bit bigger, inserted an insulated wire and soldered both sides to the SMD resistor and the new capacitor, and... it works!

Thread Information