Why does everyone think they can write about NG?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Honestly, I'm just glad to see more people discussing the system at all. I do wish there were more articles that delved into the other aspects of SNK's legacy such as the indoor amusement parks and entertainment events.

Sadly, most recent articles focus more on the cost/price of the system and games than the gameplay itself.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You never know what you're going to get unless they publish the article so people believing they can write about NG is not a bad thing.
BB

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
It's cool to see the Neo mentioned, but at this point with retro gaming as big as it is, I have to assume most people are aware of it. And yes, most articles seem to focus on A) It was expensive, B) It's still expensive, C) It played the real arcade games at home, D) a CD version was released without much success. That's it. At least this one mentioned Windjammers.

gtmartini

Rugal's Thug
It is good to known NG is remembered by many. Too bad they always focus on price and loading times. But They should make it clear that current gen-consoles take as long or even longer than NGCD.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
...but...but what about the prestige?! I got a Neo, I'm hella cool, right gaiz?!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
nice disinformation in the article (SNK didn't call the NGH "AES"; there are more differences between MVS and home carts than just the connector; NGDEV is still developing a game).

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
nice disinformation in the article (SNK didn't call the NGH "AES"; there are more differences between MVS and home carts than just the connector; NGDEV is still developing a game).

"developing"

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
nice disinformation in the article (SNK didn't call the NGH "AES".

Very true and something we adhere to in the book we are working on.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The Neo Geo console shipped with gamepads that were almost as big as the Mega Drive console

Not only incorrect, but not even with a simple comparison shot of the mentioned Genny. As cheap as they come...

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
yeah! another article about the NG that will spawn more "enthusiasts" and "collectors" that roam the place...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Articles like that usually lead to another wave of retro seekers to arrive here who then wish they never fooound that website.

Well, tech news and gaming sites need content and an article about the Neo is as good as any other. Five minutes of browsing gives the author enough stuff he can write about for pages after pages, you know.... and of course there's Kizuna, etc.

Y-A-W-N

From the article:

While the Neo Geo doesn't have a massive library, grabbing a complete collection is still the kind of venture that, for most people, will require re-mortgaging the house or selling a kidney – but therein lies the intrinsic appeal of SNK's legendary home system. Even at the time of its release it was alluringly unobtainable, a console which many had heard tell of but had never actually seen in the flesh.

See, that's the problem with it, bullshit like that brings the wrong people the wrong ideas. The "intrinsic appeal" of the Neo lies in its excellent games that still can hold up their own against current stuff if you're actually into games for the games' sake and not collecting or showing off your retro stuff to your hipster friends.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The "intrinsic appeal" of the Neo lies in its excellent games that still can hold up their own against current stuff if you're actually into games for the games' sake and not collecting or showing off your retro stuff to your hipster friends.

The new age of Neo Geo collecting defined by having a man bun, kale based organic bookshelf and hemp game sleeves.

Artabasdos

War Room Troll
Hi,
Sorry to post off-topic, but how do I create posts? Cannot find the option anywhere!

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
More annoying is that when someone do article or Youtube video about Neogeo its the same thing it was too expensive back then and I did not know anyone who owned AES, Neogeocd is slow but it has a nice controller... or with Nintendo Switch joycon problem, Zelda framedrop issues etc. which are not even are real thing but maybe those Youtubers say what their audience wants them to say..

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
As the OP said, same old information but imo the article was still worth a quick read. I'm more interested in reading about prototypes or the history around the game development. Looking forward to seeing the new info fraser99 will get