MAME vs HARDWARE

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
Do MVS only games like Bang Bead have an AES mode if the BIOS settings are changed?

samdiep

n00b
There's nothing wrong with emulation. Sometimes emulation fixes the slowdown and/or flicker issues in the original hardware that couldn't handle it. The only benefit I see with original hardware is that I don't need to mess with my PC and it is already hookup and ready to play.

samdiep

n00b
Sure stealing is wrong but emulation and ROMs is not illegal unless you didn't pay for it. Just out right saying emulation is illegal is wrong. SNK current releases on other hardware is known to use emulation and ROMs. Nintendo is doing the same so what is wrong with that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
There's nothing wrong with emulation. Sometimes emulation fixes the slowdown and/or flicker issues in the original hardware that couldn't handle it. The only benefit I see with original hardware is that I don't need to mess with my PC and it is already hookup and ready to play.

Two things:

Some of us (especially here) are looking to recreate the original arcade experience perfectly. So we don't want to "improve" the games. Like if I'm playing Metal Slug 2 without the slowdown, it starts to feel like I'm not really playing Metal Slug 2. No thank you.

And secondly, emulation doesn't fix flicker problems. 99% of the time, emulation CREATES flicker problems. For example, try to find a good version of the Fatal Fury 3 intro on youtube. Can't be done. Every single one anyone has ever posted is fucked up. Why? Because they come from emulation which ruined the car window effect. And I have never encountered a problem with shadows for fighting game characters created with a flicker effect on an MVS cab. I've never encountered a problem with them on a Neo homecart system. But on emulation? Yeah, THAT is where you will find fucked up shadow effects left and right all the time.

Sure stealing is wrong but emulation and ROMs is not illegal unless you didn't pay for it. Just out right saying emulation is illegal is wrong. SNK current releases on other hardware is known to use emulation and ROMs. Nintendo is doing the same so what is wrong with that.
lol you rationalizing piece of shit.

What is the title of this thread? MAME vs HARDWARE. Not Officially-Released Emulation vs Hardware.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Other than the whole, you know, stealing thing...

God forbid people pay a 1000% markup from others unrelated to the company in the secondhand market considering SNK hasn't made anything SNK since 2003.

samdiep

n00b
And secondly, emulation doesn't fix flicker problems. 99% of the time, emulation CREATES flicker problems. For example, try to find a good version of the Fatal Fury 3 intro on youtube. Can't be done. Every single one anyone has ever posted is fucked up. Why? Because they come from emulation which ruined the car window effect. And I have never encountered a problem with shadows for fighting game characters created with a flicker effect on an MVS cab. I've never encountered a problem with them on a Neo homecart system. But on emulation? Yeah, THAT is where you will find fucked up shadow effects left and right all the time.
You need to read fully my sentence. I never said emulation is perfect. Yes, I agree sometimes emulation does not always emulate things perfectly but to say 99% of the times is a hugh over exaggeration. I was specific talking about a specific instance where the original hardware couldn't handle it. Whether that is good or bad is up to the person playing the game. For me, the simplicity of just pop in a cart in my aes or cmvs beats messing around with emulators.

lol you rationalizing piece of shit.

What is the title of this thread? MAME vs HARDWARE. Not Officially-Released Emulation vs Hardware.
Yes, threads goes off topics. Your rationale is a piece of sit too. The title does not talk about the legality of owning ROM either. Going back to your first argument, you were talking about emulation in general when you were talking about the flickering problem in Fatal Fury 3. So, why is it okay for you to talking about emulation in generally and not me. That what people do when they can't win an argument, they redirect. Sounds, like someone has a superiority complex.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You need to read fully my sentence. I never said emulation is perfect. Yes, I agree sometimes emulation does not always emulate things perfectly but to say 99% of the times is a hugh over exaggeration. I was specific talking about a specific instance where the original hardware couldn't handle it. Whether that is good or bad is up to the person playing the game. For me, the simplicity of just pop in a cart in my aes or cmvs beats messing around with emulators.

Yes, threads goes off topics. Your rationale is a piece of sit too. The title does not talk about the legality of owning ROM either. Going back to your first argument, you were talking about emulation in general when you were talking about the flickering problem in Fatal Fury 3. So, why is it okay for you to talking about emulation in generally and not me. That what people do when they can't win an argument, they redirect. Sounds, like someone has a superiority complex.
It's not a complex. Everyone here is superior to you. I fall into that category by default; it's nothing special.

MAME means you are using illegal roms. Everyone here has done it at some point or is doing it now. I don't have a problem with them. I have a problem with rationalizing little shits like you who can't just be honest about it and need to make excuses. Like it's not always illegal BOO HOO HOOO. You're telling me you have a legally obtained Neo Geo rom you play on MAME? Of course not. There is no such thing, and you'd look even more stupid than you do now if you tried to make such a claim.

And if I mention flickering in Fatal Fury 3, I am not talking "in generally" (sic). That's a specific example. How many cases can you name of Neo hardware not being able to handle a Neo game? Because everyone here can name a bunch of examples of MAME fucking up Neo games through emulation.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Some of us (especially here) are looking to recreate the original arcade experience perfectly. So we don't want to "improve" the games. Like if I'm playing Metal Slug 2 without the slowdown, it starts to feel like I'm not really playing Metal Slug 2. No thank you.

I wouldn't want to have Metal Slug 2 other, than you described, and for the same reasons, but I really did enjoy playing Ridge Racer in progressive mode on MAME. The kind of interlaced flicker didn't constitute that game for me. There's another "but", though, since I didn't played the arcade version as intensive, as I played Metal Slug 2. So, well, yeah: hmm...

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
It's not a complex. Everyone here is superior to you. I fall into that category by default; it's nothing special.

MAME means you are using illegal roms. Everyone here has done it at some point or is doing it now. I don't have a problem with them. I have a problem with rationalizing little shits like you who can't just be honest about it and need to make excuses. Like it's not always illegal BOO HOO HOOO. You're telling me you have a legally obtained Neo Geo rom you play on MAME? Of course not. There is no such thing, and you'd look even more stupid than you do now if you tried to make such a claim.

And if I mention flickering in Fatal Fury 3, I am not talking "in generally" (sic). That's a specific example. How many cases can you name of Neo hardware not being able to handle a Neo game? Because everyone here can name a bunch of examples of MAME fucking up Neo games through emulation.

I have used MAME for legal purposes, so Yes it does get used for things other than "stealing".

I have never needed to legally use a ROM mind, But I have used its CHD's and backup software on my A51:S4 cabinet.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I grew up playing pirated games, using pirated software. Sure you can buy it but why when you can have 10 games for the price of one or without any cost at all? no one here can say they've never used something that was pirated be it a movie, tv show, music or game

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
no one here can say they've never used something that was pirated be it a movie, tv show, music or game

Yeah, that's exactly what I said, too. What I have issue with is some people (one person) being a pussy about it and trying to pretend it's not what it is.

Reading is fundamental ;)
I love how you say that while moving the goalposts.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I love how you say that while moving the goalposts.

Who moved the goal posts?

This thread is not specific to Neo Geo roms.
Its MAME vs Real hardware (unspecified)

You said people only use it for illegal purposes and I gave one use where its been used legally (to fix my genuine cabinet).

The fact pretty much every other thing I use it for is not legal matters not.

We all know its wrong to use it to play stuff we dont own but yet we all still do it anyways.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Dunno where you are but ime on my bed jerking off.

giphy.gif

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Legally it's a gray zone, but if I'm using a rom I downloaded and I have an actual cart sitting on my shelf, I tend to feel pretty okay about it personally. This is the same reasoning that flash cart retailers seem to use in their disclaimers, though they know damn well what most people actually use their products for.

I downloaded the roms to convert my 2-player Turtles in Time board to 4-players. Was that copyright infringement? I suppose technically it probably was. I'm not losing sleep over it though, and I doubt my case is the primary target of publishers trying to curb rom piracy.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Hey Alec,

Did you stop making vids on the neo geo games? Really loved your videos!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hey Alec,

Did you stop making vids on the neo geo games? Really loved your videos!
Thanks! I'm going to be totally honest with you. I like the idea of making a complete series, but it was taking the majority of my spare time and only getting about 500 views per video. My two brothers I started the channel with have both all but quit. I took a break to move and work on my house, but at this point I'm probably going to follow my brothers and stop as well. I think we had a real chance at making an awesome Youtube channel, especially if we had started maybe a year earlier, but that ship has mostly sailed. I still don't want to end the series though, so I'm open to more videos in the series in the future provided I'm willing to put in the time. It will be discouraging though to work on a video for a month and then watch the views trickle in.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Thanks! I'm going to be totally honest with you. I like the idea of making a complete series, but it was taking the majority of my spare time and only getting about 500 views per video. My two brothers I started the channel with have both all but quit. I took a break to move and work on my house, but at this point I'm probably going to follow my brothers and stop as well. I think we had a real chance at making an awesome Youtube channel, especially if we had started maybe a year earlier, but that ship has mostly sailed. I still don't want to end the series though, so I'm open to more videos in the series in the future provided I'm willing to put in the time. It will be discouraging though to work on a video for a month and then watch the views trickle in.

Thats a shame!

I was also really loving your videos.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
Nothing beats the real thing and no argument or opinion can change it. Some people like real tits, some people like fake tits. It’s all about nostalgia for me. Grammar Nazi was right when he talked about shadows and slowdown. It’s not the same if you have played real hardware. I’m looking for a JVS pi setup for my NNC. However I own almost half of a MVS collection and a bunch of other arcade boards. We all get that emulation is a necessary evil as we all aren’t rich but hardware wins.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Some people like real tits, some people like fake tits.

Hang on hang on!

Are there really people who like fakies better than real? I don’t think so. I mean if your girl has nothing then maybe fakies are ok but like for like surely you go real?