MAME vs HARDWARE

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
I dunno man, maybe the 2 I have are just worn out or something but they are virtually unplayable to me, especially with the diagonal movements. The weird rotating knob doesn't help matters either. I just don't get it.

The rotating knob took me by surprise when I finally got one. Wasn't sure if I was the only one who didn't like it, or if it was just something people got used to.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
The rotating knob took me by surprise when I finally got one. Wasn't sure if I was the only one who didn't like it, or if it was just something people got used to.

Box quote for a sex toy.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Box quote for a sex toy.

giphy.gif

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object

It's basically useless and unplayable with that knob, makes everything very imprecise and wobbly. Terrible design.

beecee

n00b
original hardware/software is always the best way to go, but the way the prices are its getting too expensive for most people to amass collections, and even common games for some systems people are wanting stupid money just because its retro.

so emulation is easier for a lot of people, also for a "quick fix" of your fave games, just fire up the machine of choice, likely an xbox with coinops etc, and withing a few mins your on your way.

i have both, so for games i dont have, or are way to expensive then a quick blast on emulation quickly tells me i'm glad i didn't drop ££$$$ on a crap game.

toaks

n00b
I've been emulating the Neo Geo for quite some time and I've been pretty happy with it. That said I did just order a Omega CMVS and a NeoSD so, go figure. lol

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've been emulating the Neo Geo for quite some time and I've been pretty happy with it. That said I did just order a Omega CMVS and a NeoSD so, go figure. lol

Why not get an AES if you're just going to use NeoSD?

beecee

n00b

its always good to play on proper hardware, but i have found that out of all the consoles the neo geo emulation has always been pretty good.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Good move! Hey I get you totally with emulation, I use it more than actual hardware mostly for fightcade or handheld, MVS is the gateway drug though, more so than AES, which I feel was the right move if you're looking to get some carts along the way (you never know) at more reasonable prices.

Once you get that itch for other arcade hardware...oh, fun times ahead.

welcome!

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I believe all the virtual console, psn, xbox live etc versions of arcade games are also emulated. Not everyone can afford to get the real hardware and these recent emulated alternatives still support the license owners (even if they no longer support the original developers). It also allows users to send a message to current devs on what they like.

Myself I stick to original hardware where I can, but there are always some arcade games you just won't find and Mame allows one to experience these which is pretty cool.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
rwvrxja.jpg

My Groovymame setup. I used to use a PC CRT with it, but switched to a LCD to save desk space and the fact it is mega easy to rotate the LCD versus a bulky and heavy CRT. I have plenty of 15khz Sony PVM's that I could have used, but it's a bitch going in and adjusting geometry on them for different games. That's one area where a regular PC CRT (or LCD) is soooo much easier to use.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I can't knock Mame, it's what got me into real hardware. Once. I realized that after spending money on a new PC and joysticks and all this garbage to try and make it feel real, I could have just bought a super gun and some boards. So I did. That was like 18 years ago.

With the raspberry pi making it easy and affordable, I have gone back to it a bit but it's just a reminder that it will never replace the real deal.

But I never knock it, it's awesome that it's around. I'm more interested in the accuracy of recent Cave games in Mame. Like Galuda 2 and Ibara BL.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Can't even see all the camels has a point with mame, I can skip all the boot up sequences and map button combinations to other ones! All you guys using real boards get wrecked, this is the best way to play arcade games.

Upperman33

n00b
original system is better than emulator. if u have the money, go for the original. emultors for the paupers.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I love Mame and always will. Like PJ, it's what got me into buying original hardware.

Nothing like being able to rotate my LCD or Led monitor with minimal effort for playing shtmups. Easy setup options for controls and video. Mame has it's advantages.

J-P

NEST Puppet
Yeah a good, well configured MAME setup through CRT is definitely super convenient. The accuracy just keeps getting better - and what would we do without Fightcade?

I personally run auto-save/load-state in MAME so I don't lose high-scores or unlocks and to avoid boot-delays on various boards, but that's not much of an issue.

The convenience thing is especially true when travelling or having space restrictions (space for CRT? lol).

There are certain games where I do feel even the minimal lag or emulation failure though and I run real hardware a lot of the time for that reason. Also MAME is sometimes TOO GOOD and you don't get that slowdown that can save your ass (various shmups) :B...

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Your issue isn't emulation, it's the fact that you are not using a crt. Crt has the best implementation of scanlines.

It's rich seeing you give advice about this. In your other thread you are showing us a bunch a shit, including;

1. Setting your neo geo emulator to 640x480, when native res is 240p (and thinking it's "perfect")
  2. Applying a scanline shader when displaying on a CRT. What the fuck?
  3. having that scanline shader display vertical scanlines on horizontal games "because it looks better". Holy shit man.

I also see you say that you are playing on an MVS - dude... You are playing a MAME emulator that you have put into a MVS cabinet. That's is not an MVS setup. The MVS is the SNK hardware inside it.

One of the reasons that emulation is not an ideal solution is because any dummy can set it up and think they have a hot shit system - yet it's rife with errors in configuration, as well as errors in understanding (and respecting) the original systems.

I'm sure that with a bit of research you could set-up a great emulation rig. I can see that you have the skills, but do your research man, else you are part of the problem, and not the solution.

Last edited:

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
It's rich seeing you give advice about this. In your other thread you are showing us a bunch a shit, including;

1. Setting your neo geo emulator to 640x480, when native res is 240p (and thinking it's "perfect")
  2. Applying a scanline shader when displaying on a CRT. What the fuck?
  3. having that scanline shader display vertical scanlines on horizontal games "because it looks better". Holy shit man.

I also see you say that you are playing on an MVS - dude... You are playing a MAME emulator that you have put into a MVS cabinet. That's is not an MVS setup. The MVS is the SNK hardware inside it.

One of the reasons that emulation is not an ideal solution is because any dummy can set it up and think they have a hot shit system - yet it's rife with errors in configuration, as well as errors in understanding (and respecting) the original systems.

I'm sure that with a bit of research you could set-up a great emulation rig. I can see that you have the skills, but do your research man, else you are part of the problem, and not the solution.

Oh my fVcking god. You can stop being a dlck. Maybe you should look at the source code form the link provided on that thread.

Setting your neo geo emulator to 640x480, when native res is 240p (and thinking it's "perfect")
No. I am running both windows and my front end in VGA and my video card with change to QVGA (240p) when a neo geo rom is played in MAME.

Applying a scanline shader when displaying on a CRT. What the fuck?
No. I am not displaying a scanline shader on a CRT. The front end layout I created has the option to toggle this feature on or off. Obviously you would not want it turned on with a CRT. However, it looks nifty when displayed on an LCD.

having that scanline shader display vertical scanlines on horizontal games "because it looks better". Holy shit man.
It looks better than nothing in my opinion. However, I am using a CRT so it doesn稚 really matter for my application. I also stated that I will look into fixing the orientation of the scan line shader.

I still have the mvs board, and its actually inside it right now. Just not hooked up (obviously). It痴 still a multi video system. And every modification I have done is 100% easily reversible. So whats with the hate? I didn稚 drill new holes, hack factory wires, or anything.

I haven稚 had any errors with configuration. I have a pretty good understanding of the original system, computer networking and programming.

I don稚 understand this at all. And I really don稚 care. I enjoy my project and thought it would be nice to make it open source and share. Theres a reason why I don稚 visit this forum too often.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
If you have a real MVS why bother with emulation?

Last edited:

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
If you have a real MVS why bother with emulation?

I can play games that are expensive to collect, no hacks and a better menu than the multi carts. NeoSD and Darksoft were not options when I started the project. It's been a fun project and I love programming. The front end can alsO display history of the games. And the front end has a theme that looks like something neo geo. I saved the neo geo board, and it will be used for my next project.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
rwvrxja.jpg

My Groovymame setup. I used to use a PC CRT with it, but switched to a LCD to save desk space and the fact it is mega easy to rotate the LCD versus a bulky and heavy CRT. I have plenty of 15khz Sony PVM's that I could have used, but it's a bitch going in and adjusting geometry on them for different games. That's one area where a regular PC CRT (or LCD) is soooo much easier to use.

Please tell me what joystick that is?

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Looks like I can make out Qanba written on the case. Looks really cool.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yep, it's the Qanba Carbon. Good basic stick that is easy to replace the buttons and stick with Sanwa or Seimitsu parts later.