MAME vs HARDWARE

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Hey-I strive for fourth-grade quality writing when I post on these forums. I'm just not as resplendent as you concomitants with your luxuriant four-dollar words.

Oh, you fancy, Mr. GRE. On topic, I like both for different forms of conveniences.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I love the thrill of playing real arcade games in my house on real hardware. Can't beat the real thing. MVS is generally affordable and so I have genuine carts.

I use emulation on games that I just can't afford/get like Capcom CPS-1.5 and CAVE games. Also games I enjoy playing but not enough to pay £100+ out with the risk of them failing.

Everdrive/flash carts on real hardware is a cheaper option to.

Enjoy both! :buttrock:

dgame

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
If the emulation was 100% accurate it would not be better or worse because it would be exactly the same.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
If the emulation was 100% accurate it would not be better or worse because it would be exactly the same.

Hardware or software?

Emulated hardware can have a different form factor.

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
How accurate is emulation these days under MAME as far as NeoGeo games are concerned? :scratch:

Neo Geo emulation in mame is supposed to be almost perfect. I would be more worried about making sure the experience goes well. Be sure to use a decent computer and an ssd. Hide the operating system as much as possible. I created a gist about it here if you are using windows 10. A simple front end layout will make experience better as well. Check out the [URL="https://github.com/keilmillerjr/flavors-layout“]"flavors"[/URL] layout I made for attract mode.

My mvs has been in the long process of being converted to mame (neo geo emulation only) because I was unhappy with the 161 in 1 cart. Finished wiring the jamma controls last night and tested it out. I cant wait to wire up the video hopefully tonight or tomorrow night.

If I didn’t already start this build, I would probably wait to compare darksoft neo geo multi and the neosd multi. Mame is a really nice option, but its a lot of work to set up. And so I don’t get flame, my build does indeed use a crt, I saved all original equipment and its 100% easily reversible.

controlpanel.jpg

layout.png

layout2.png

Last edited:

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
Neo Geo emulation in mame is supposed to be almost perfect. I would be more worried about making sure the experience goes well. Be sure to use a decent computer and an ssd. Hide the operating system as much as possible. I created a gist about it here if you are using windows 10. A simple front end layout will make experience better as well. Check out the [URL="https://github.com/keilmillerjr/flavors-layout“]"flavors"[/URL] layout I made for attract mode.

My mvs has been in the long process of being converted to mame (neo geo emulation only) because I was unhappy with the 161 in 1 cart. Finished wiring the jamma controls last night and tested it out. I cant wait to wire up the video hopefully tonight or tomorrow night.

If I didn’t already start this build, I would probably wait to compare darksoft neo geo multi and the neosd multi. Mame is a really nice option, but its a lot of work to set up. And so I don’t get flame, my build does indeed use a crt, I saved all original equipment and its 100% easily reversible.

View attachment 43419

View attachment 43420

View attachment 43421

That's awesome. Have you gotten a way for it to accept coins? That way it can double as a piggy bank :)

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
That's awesome. Have you gotten a way for it to accept coins? That way it can double as a piggy bank :)

It will be wired to the service harness. I had the bin with tons of coins (all my change saved up into it) until one day I had no spare change to use machine. Went to grab a few quarters out of it, only to find it empty. wtf.

I can’t find the video molex connector. I need to order another one. Damn kids and wife always messing with my arcade bins.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Fightcade/Mame is good enough for the fighting games i want to play with ppl. I know its not 100% accurate, but its 100% better than playing by myself.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Mame served as a great home alternative to the ps1 and saturn ports available at the time. As arcades declined, emulation was a completely viable way to continue playing many newer ng games outside of an arcade or an aes. Newer (at the time) neo geo games like kof99, LB2, MotW, etc were ported to the dreamcast, but other action titles like Real Bout 2, Sengoku 2001, Rage of the Dragons, etc could only be played on actual hardware or an emulator. Fast forward to now, and you have many options for earlier titles and popular releases, but not so much for games like Zed Blade and Zupapa. Additionally, although the japanese ps2 neo geo collections are very well done, from a purist perspective, they still can have cut content when compared to the carts (removed blue mary nudity). In these cases, mame can be a subjectively better option to console ports/legal emulation options.

Mame can be good enough for play, but of course, nothing beats actual hardware. However, for mvs exlcusives like Bang Bead, Zed Blade, and Zupapa, mame is not a bad alternative way to simply enjoy these titles when having an mvs is not an option for the player.

Last edited:

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
Mame served as a great home alternative to the ps1 and saturn ports available at the time. As arcades declined, emulation was a completely viable way to continue playing many newer ng games outside of an arcade or an aes. Newer (at the time) neo geo games like kof99, LB2, MotW, etc were ported to the dreamcast, but other action titles like Real Bout 2, Sengoku 2001, Rage of the Dragons, etc could only be played on actual hardware or an emulator. Fast forward to now, and you have many options for earlier titles and popular releases, but not so much for games like Zed Blade and Zupapa. Additionally, although the japanese ps2 neo geo collections are very well done, from a purist perspective, they still can have cut content when compared to the carts (removed blue mary nudity). In these cases, mame can be a subjectively better option to console ports/legal emulation options.

Mame can be good enough for play, but of course, nothing beats actual hardware. However, for mvs exlcusives like Bang Bead, Zed Blade, and Zupapa, mame is not a bad alternative way to simply enjoy these titles when having an mvs is not an option for the player.

Wait, wait, wait, WHAA? WHAT GAME HAS BLUE MARY NUDE??? :D

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
Haha, that's pretty cool. Censorship sucks. It takes away from the original vision of the artist.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that "NeoGeo64" is "NGCDFreak". Both seem like tryhard emo faggots.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
If you don't like my threads quit reading/posting in them. :)

Last edited:

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
I'm honored to be in your sig after only 33 posts! I'm not Ngcdfreak, though!

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
FFRB1. You have to both fall in the water and you need to win. It was censored in a lot of future titles though. I think it only made it in the MVS.

Sup Mr Bakaboy! Although the nudity was censored later in the ps2 collection, the nudity is still intact in both the aes and neo cd versions of the game.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that the instance of mary's "out of bounds" nudity gag went missing as early as the ps1 port. However, this set of animation removal is not an isolated instance since character water animations for others such as kim have also been removed. In their place is a generic pool of bubbling water where the character fell into the water hazard.

In the ps2 collection, the other character's "out of bounds" water gags are left intact while mary's instance of nudity is gone. Since memory constraints are not the culprit here, the change was likely done to simply avoid a higher Cero rating (a rating system that was not around when Real Bout 1 was first ported).

Last edited: