Is this AES dead?

pollsoda

n00b
Picked up an AES 3-4 revision for cheap this weekend, but it looks like it may be toast?

Anyone ever seen this before?

Power on without cart, and I get a weird flowing pattern on blue, which occasionally (not always) ends up in purple:
http://sendvid.com/225cg6or

When I boot with a cart, I get a green checkerboard pattern:
http://imgur.com/a/OOtHm

IMG_4261.JPG

I haven't done an exhaustive search for broken traces, if there are any, they're not obvious. Pressing on Neo-B1 changes the picture slightly, but I went through and tried to carefully reflow it. No change.

I don't get any text, and I'm hesitant to go to the trouble of throwing a socket on it to run the debug BIOS on it if there's something fundamentally damaged.

I washed the board and tested before/after with no change.

The shell is in amazing condition, and I'm kind of considering throwing my MV1C in it if I can't bring this board to life.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
What power supply are you using? I had a similar issue with my AES when I originally got it, as the shop provided the wrong SNK Pro-pow AC adapter (there are multiple versions with different voltages).

pollsoda

n00b
Unfortunately the sticker on the bottom is gone. It's a 3-4 board, and it doesn't have any sort of converter near the power supply, so I'm assuming it's a 5v board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Look for an LM2576 or similar near the reset button on the mainboard inside the console. If there is one along with inductors and capacitors, it's a 9v console. If the area around the reset button is barren and unpopulated, it's a 5v console.

A 9v system can take 10, 11 or 12 volt power adapters too.

Last edited:

pollsoda

n00b
Hey Heavy, just went to look for that exact part before you posted! Looks like it does have a LM2576. I guess I'll have to try a 10v supply, I'm assuming center negative?

2b3575d933827c5c89d697776ce22892.jpg

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Hey Heavy, just went to look for that exact part before you posted! Looks like it does have a LM2576. I guess I'll have to try a 10v supply, I'm assuming center negative?

Yes, center negative is what you want. In a pinch, try a Genesis Model 1 power adapter.

Having previously tried a 5v PSU on a 9v system myself, I can attest that the issues you're having are caused by using a PSU with a voltage too low for the LM2576 voltage regulator.

Oh reeaalllly!

Well, it's just so many times here in Tech Support the term "9v system" is used. The LM2576 can take a range of voltages. The key here is a 5v system can only take 5v because it has no voltage regulation built-in.

pollsoda

n00b
That was it! Tested with my 10v 1.2A SFC power supply and it came right up.

I assumed all 9V boards had an add on board near the power supply.. learned something new. Thanks everyone!

Time to replace some caps for RGB and throw a UniBIOS in! On this board, I guess it's the five 100u caps near the cxa1145p?