CIA watching you through your TV

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I don't use the tv much.

I have the power strip off when not in use. I think last time I had it turned on was because I was playing a video game back in December maybe. I bought a new one because of a big cyber Monday sale but haven't gotten around to hooking it up.

I'm pretty boring, but at least big brother still cares enough about me to watch over me. So that kind of makes me feel good.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
You'd have to be a complete fucking doofus not to know this is going on.

It has been going on since societies have formed... even in America.

SIGINT and HUMINT are vital apparatuses and as much as we'd love to live in an ideal world where nothing bad ever goes wrong or have to perform some unsavory acts, it's not fucking realistic.

You should be thanking our government for developing and maintaining some pretty impressive tools and capabilities.

There should be oversight and frankly, it's your responsibility to keep yourself safe. The fact that people are so focused on integration, ease of use and "the cloud" is what enables shit like this to happen. It's "so convenient" to put your data or life on someone else's computer. did you really not think someone is going to be taking a peek?

Tacitus

Staff member
Here's a few protips:

If you can access your device or computer anywhere in the world, anyone can.

If it reverse-connects to anything in the world and it doesn't ask you for permission, it'll be used to spy on you.

If it's made in china and connects to the internet, it'll be used to spy on you.

If you're putting it on a computer that does not belong to you, it'll be used to spy on you.

If you're putting it out on the internet or social media, it'll be used to spy on you.

If it emits Bluetooth/Wifi/RF, it'll be used to spy on you.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Here's a few protips:

If you can access your device or computer anywhere in the world, anyone can.

If it reverse-connects to anything in the world and it doesn't ask you for permission, it'll be used to spy on you.

If it's made in china and connects to the internet, it'll be used to spy on you.

If you're putting it on a computer that does not belong to you, it'll be used to spy on you.

If you're putting it out on the internet or social media, it'll be used to spy on you.

If it emits Bluetooth/Wifi/RF, it'll be used to spy on you.

Although I feel like I disagree with you on the value and ultimately utility of these sorts of programs, I do always appreciate your fantastic tips.

Ease of use was definitely the disguise the devil chose. I will freely admit to being too lazy with plenty of my info. I've been reasonably fortunate, had some typical credit card fraud, I did have some listings put under my eBay account from somewhere out of China years ago and that was the only account I ever temporarily lost control.

Just live like Admiral Adama I guess, keep it off the frakking network.

Tacitus

Staff member
Although I feel like I disagree with you on the value and ultimately utility of these sorts of programs, I do always appreciate your fantastic tips.

Ease of use was definitely the disguise the devil chose. I will freely admit to being too lazy with plenty of my info. I've been reasonably fortunate, had some typical credit card fraud, I did have some listings put under my eBay account from somewhere out of China years ago and that was the only account I ever temporarily lost control.

Just live like Admiral Adama I guess, keep it off the frakking network.

You can have as much privacy as you like, it's just a question of effort.

I've bounced back towards the center on these things and it's mostly based on the willful ignorance of the public at large.

The people who know enough don't care as long as they can take pictures of their genitals and send them "securely" or tweet their latest purchase.

Hackers is awesome because it got so many things epically wrong and awful.. but so many things right at the same time.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
im so glad u love Hackers thats like one of my favorite movies

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It's not surprising considering anything with a camera and a microphone and internet access can do these things when you want them to ;) So how hard would it be for the creators to have it do these things without your input? Not at all.

I see the cloud being useful only if you wish to access the same files across multiple devices and ultimately in any location. I have no need for that.

im so glad u love Hackers thats like one of my favorite movies

HACK THE PLANET!!

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You'd have to be a complete fucking doofus not to know this is going on.

It has been going on since societies have formed... even in America.

SIGINT and HUMINT are vital apparatuses and as much as we'd love to live in an ideal world where nothing bad ever goes wrong or have to perform some unsavory acts, it's not fucking realistic.

You should be thanking our government for developing and maintaining some pretty impressive tools and capabilities.

There should be oversight and frankly, it's your responsibility to keep yourself safe. The fact that people are so focused on integration, ease of use and "the cloud" is what enables shit like this to happen. It's "so convenient" to put your data or life on someone else's computer. did you really not think someone is going to be taking a peek?

Yeah, I like how people are getting all up in arms like this shit is new. "Ease of use" is definitely a two-way street.

It's not surprising considering anything with a camera and a microphone and internet access can do these things when you want them to ;) So how hard would it be for the creators to have it do these things without your input? Not at all.

I see the cloud being useful only if you wish to access the same files across multiple devices and ultimately in any location. I have no need for that.

HACK THE PLANET!!

Exactly. I hate voice command stuff (OK Google, Siri, Amazon Echo) for this very reason. Anything that is always on and waits for a voice command is always listening...

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I'm not sure most people think it is new. I think the issue is that it is (partly) confirmed. The idea that the government uses your phones and computers and other stuff to spy on you is known in a general way by the general public. And they do not go into it, because it goes into "tin foil hat" territory. Even with this information, some people won't really believe it 1) because it is from Wikileaks, and 2) they have not seen the proof. And basically, if a thing does not effect their daily lives, people couldn't give two shits about it.

Tacitus

Staff member
If anyone gave a shit, they'd be worried about the massive metadata gathering apparatus they've turned themselves into.

If you're getting something for free, you're not a client... you're inventory. It's worth more to them than any monetary incentive you may or may not receive.

...but fuck it! It's easy.. and they're giving me 15% off this purchase! They're storing all of my photos location tagged for me for FREE! I have no problem with attaching this monitoring device to my car for $200 off my insurance yearly!

When you hear "big data" and "machine learning", you're turning your life data over to someone who is using it to analyze your every move and sell you shit based on it...

Tacitus

Staff member
Do you know why they run your credit when you get a cell phone?

They run your credit so they can see how long you were with your last carrier and bill you based on carrier loyalty.

If you stick with a carrier forever, you'll get charged more because you won't leave.

If you skip around, they charge you much less and incentivize you more.

Fuck, I could do a whole thread on this.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
When you hear "big data" and "machine learning", you're turning your life data over to someone who is using it to analyze your every move and sell you shit based on it...

If this is all they're using it for I don't mind so much, I haven't bought anything outside of groceries and old shit off ebay for about 5 years.

Tacitus

Staff member
If this is all they're using it for I don't mind so much, I haven't bought anything outside of groceries and old shit off ebay for about 5 years.

But.. that's the trick... it's not.

Tacitus

Staff member

So, what have you told me?

You buy groceries.
You use a credit card.
You use ebay.
You enjoy "old shit" aka nostalgia.

What can I get from this?

Ask yourself that?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
And people thought I was paranoid when I said this would happen several years back.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

They run your credit so they can see how long you were with your last carrier and bill you based on carrier loyalty.

If you stick with a carrier forever, you'll get charged more because you won't leave.

This is true for pretty much anything with a contract, including insurance. When time's up, tell them you won't be renewing, that you can get a better deal with ____ and that if they're able to match it lower than them you'd consider staying.

Internet, TV, phones, car insurance...I'm sure there are more I can't think of right now.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only cell phone history that would show up on a credit report would be a collection or credit inquiry (which only stays on for 2 years, about the same as a cell phone contract).

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up guys! Just covered the entire front of my tv with tape. I use to just tape my face, but that made answering the door awkward. Lol, tape, the only thing that stops the government from prying!

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only cell phone history that would show up on a credit report would be a collection or credit inquiry (which only stays on for 2 years, about the same as a cell phone contract).

Yeah I've been using pay as you go lately but none of the old contracts I ever did showed up on my credit.

Only way you can make something unhackable is to grind it up into dust.
My Facebook just got hacked by the Russians.

Edit: This is why I have such a problem with il douche being president. They've been eating away at our right and freedoms for awhile now. Well who cares I trust xyz enough to not abuse their power. But now we've elected a goofy meglomaniac to be in charge though and we have all these possibilities for this brave new world 1984 type stuff going on that you could totally abuse the shit out of. Luckily so far he telegraphs and tweets his plans out loud and everything else has been leaking out.

Last edited: