JVC X'eye Problem

fantat

NEST Puppet
20 Year Member
So my JVC X'eye will no longer play cd games. Every time I put a disc in, it will only go to the cd player. It will play the music tracks but I can't get it to load a game. It plays cartridges fine.

Anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks in advance.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
So my JVC X'eye will no longer play cd games. Every time I put a disc in, it will only go to the cd player. It will play the music tracks but I can't get it to load a game. It plays cartridges fine.

Anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks in advance.

Does the laser assembly move and try to read the disc? Try cleaning the laser and lube the motor. You may need a new assembly though. It's pretty straight-forward to replace. You can find a generic one on eBay.

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I would just replace the laser assembly honestly. With the age of these machines the lasers are just getting old. I just changed the laser in a friends PC Engine Duo and now it's working great. Prior to the change it was loud and not loading certain games.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Fixed a friend X'eye with same fault by adjusting the pots

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Listen to wyo. He fixed my Xeye exhibiting the exact same problem - I had to order a replacement laser but now it works great. Thanks again wyo.

fantat

NEST Puppet
20 Year Member
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

If I want to replace the laser assembly does the process involve any soldering?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

IIRC I had to desolder a solder bridge between 2 pads on the replacement assembly or something like that. YMMV depending on the specific replacement model used.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Yea the lasers tend to have a solder blob for transit, just remove it. The laser is easy, Google for guides. gL

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Might be worth trying to clean with a qtip dabbed in isopropyl alochol. The Sega CD is one of the more sensitive disc based game systems, sometimes even a dust speck can get in the way of it properly loading games.

aaluis

n00b

The only soldering is to remove a point of solder blob from the new laser, you dont need solder skills to do that, just a cheap solder iron, If you decide to replace the laser just order an OPTIMA 6s from over seas supplier like Aliexpress, they are cheap and installation is very easy, also you can order the complete laser assembly from Aliexpress and just to take the old one out and put the new in.

Please note I mentioned Aliexpress because it is the supplier I use, but I am sure there are many suppliers out there as the OPTIMA 6s is a common laser pickup.

Best Regards.

Last edited:

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
IIRC I had to desolder a solder bridge between 2 pads on the replacement assembly or something like that. YMMV depending on the specific replacement model used.

I guess I have to thank the n00b that necro-bumped this thread, seeing that I was in the middle of a repair and did not know about the solder bridge that needed to be removed. Thanks, wyo...and the n00b.

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
Fixed a friend X'eye with same fault by adjusting the pots
Please don't adjust these pots without an oscilloscope and a service manual at hand. It's important to calibrate these correctly, otherwise you will prematurely burnout the laser in a short time. It's much better to purchase a new laser if you're having issues with the EFB